0-5 fps in game, but 47 when in menu instead

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Novelyt

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
0-5 fps in game, but 47 when in menu instead
Launcher Version:
Curse 6.2.5626.30948
Modpack:
infinity
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
pretty much what the title says. I can load up a world and then i'm pretty much stuck, can really do anything cause the FPS is extremely low. I actually first noticed the issue when i tried to put together my own pack on the launcher, but i figured it was a bad combination of mods or something. I was able to run Hubris decently when I lowered my resolution, but i'm not sure what is going on here

Windows 8.1 64 bit
16 GB RAM - I have 4 gigs allocated on the launcher
Intel i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
honestly I'm not exactly what specs are helpful to have here though...

Excaerious

Jul 29, 2019
No dedicated GPU? I assume so since the i7-4700HQ has integrated graphics and it's not listed. A combination of that and a clockspeed of 2.4 GHz non-turbo probably contributes.

Have you attempted the usual fixes? If not, try that. If so, move on to plan B. Try Fastcraft (not sure if it's standard with infinity actually). If it's in there or you have it, try Optifine. Optifine does wonders for FPS the majority of the time. Fiddling around with settings will probably provide a modest boost on top of that (multi-core mode can provide TREMONDOUS speed increases).

Novelyt

Jul 29, 2019
I added optifine my personal pack and i'm getting ~40 FPS. Thanks man, I really appreciate your help.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M. I went into the nvidia control panel and I believe I set the correct program to run on that card instead.

Out of curiosity what exactly do you mean by the usual fixes though?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I added optifine my personal pack and i'm getting ~40 FPS. Thanks man, I really appreciate your help.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M. I went into the nvidia control panel and I believe I set the correct program to run on that card instead.

Out of curiosity what exactly do you mean by the usual fixes though?
The usual fixes that I look for are:
make sure it uses the right GPU
Make sure you have the right drivers(updated)
Making sure its not a RAM problem(either too low or too high)

Excaerious

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, all of the above in addition to making sure that you have:

1. Java updated (and it's using the correct version, preferably 8).
2. Trying a new Launcher (multiMC backend is way lighter than any other in my experience, will probably give you a few fps).
3. Play with Render Distances.
4. Turn off some unnecessary particles, I turn off Torch Smoke personally.
5. Playing with things like 'Smooth FPS', 'Smooth World', etc in Optifine-specific performance options.

There is no gold standard of what works, so playing with everything is necessary unfortunately.