General purpose Blood Altar setup?

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
Just looking for opinion on a well rounded general purpose blood altar and its runes. I only have one altar, and really only plan to have one. There is so much in the mod pack I am using, I am pulled in too many directions to focus on one. So like an idiot, I am juggling them all. *rolls eyes*
Anyway, I have my tier 2 baby altar set up for tier 3, though slogging through making enough slates to make it official still. Rather than go the self sacrifice route, I decided to make other bleed for my powah and have a little farm above altar for dagger of sacrifice action. Currently all my runes are sacrifice, but I know once I get over the sophmore slog and set up the Well of Suffering under the altar I might want to mix in some other runes. So my intention is a well rounded, general purpose but effective altar.
Thoughts? I have a few, but would like to hear others thoughts and experiences. I was going to focus mostly on Sacrifice to a point, then round it out with a handful of Speed, Orb, and Capacity. Though the thought of making a giant tank of reserve blood that replaces the walls of the temple is sort of awesome too. So maybe dislocation? Hmm, walls out of open block tanks filled with blood. Sounds laggy awesome. ;)
Perhaps I need to find some volunteer villagers...

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
witches regen themselves faster than the ritual can hurt them -> easy infinite LP if you name them/put them in a jailer safari net.

Lohengrin

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I know of the witch reactor. I was more wondering about a general rune layout. All good, I will fiddle with it, just thought people might have previous experience to draw from I could adapt to my own.
Instead of witches, I will have zombies on treadmills and graveyard earth. More entertaining.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
A good mix between Sacrifice and Speed runes I guess but I can't really provide you numbers there.
The Dislocation runes are especially useful if you have more than one altar. You could also use them for your one altar if you're going to pump blood in and out often, but they take up space that speed or sacrifice runes could have.

I'm not really familiar with this but if you want to make a tier 6 altar you're going to need runes of the Orb to increase your soul network capacity, the demon invasion ritual takes more LP to activate then you can normally store with the tier 5 orb. But you don't need these runes if you don't plan on making a tier 6 altar.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
If you do decide to make runes of the orb, then be aware. If this hasn't changed in 1.7, then the weak blood orbs used to craft them are not consumed. I ground out so many orbs in 1.6.4, prior to making any. The rage when I found they weren't consumed :p

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
If you do decide to make runes of the orb, then be aware. If this hasn't changed in 1.7, then the weak blood orbs used to craft them are not consumed. I ground out so many orbs in 1.6.4, prior to making any. The rage when I found they weren't consumed :p
Blood orbs are generally not consumed in any recipe, as far as I know.
I was also thinking that the first time I played with Blood Magic :D good that I made one slate before (not) making more orbs :D

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Blood orbs are generally not consumed in any recipe, as far as I know.
I was also thinking that the first time I played with Blood Magic :D good that I made one slate before (not) making more orbs :D
Ya know what would be handy? If NEI would highlight items in a recipe that aren't consumed. Like, a green background if they aren't consumed or damaged and a yellow background if they're not consumed, but damaged.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
My altars are almost always 8 speed runes (the original ones you need to get to tier 2) and everything else is sacrifice. I'll typically keep 4 witches on hand (Baba Yaga, Circe, Hazel, and Griselda) once I get to a well of sacrifice and I've never felt like the altar couldn't meet my needs.