My Progress on the Tokamak Fusion Reactor, and my trek through RoC thus far

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
A week or so ago I started really messing with Rotarycraft, and Reactorcraft. Not understanding a lot about either. I set out with the ultimate goal in mind of having a Fusion reactor, but also learning other things as I moved along.

I started my projects with some basic fans, and steam engines. Also had fermenters running off of the first DC electric engine. From there I graduated to grinders, to start grinding out the canola seed I am farming. A few projects later, and I have microturbines, performance engines running many things on my base. I made a bedrock breaker, and a gas turbine (with a protective fence) and before I knew it I had some bedrock, and a top tier magnetostatic engine to power the breaker. With the canola/lubricant output I have, I can run the magnetostatic, and the 10 hydro-kinetic engines I have in my basement non-stop, with plenty to spare. I have fluid export buses set up to control the flow of jet fuel into the many turbines around my base. I flip a switch, put some jet fuel in, and it's good to go for a while. I use microturbines to power the friction heaters that I need for the ferromagnetic in the blast furnace, and for the smelting Sintered Tungsten in the vanilla furnace.

I have 4,000 buckets of jet fuel, plus a full buffer in the fractionation unit. I have about 3,000 buckets of lubricant, plus can make more at the flip of a switch courtesy of my 1 million plus canola seeds. I have an extractor that I can run non stop, plus an addition grinder for netherrack, and soul sand if needed.

Now you might me asking what am I using the hydro-kinetic engines, and the insane power they put out for? Well I am splitting the power and running two (yes two) compactors for the various magnets needed in the construction of the Tokamak Reactor. I have the pressure topped out at 589kish, and can leave this alone unattended.

I started this project beneath my desert temple about 3 days ago. As you can see I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go before completing this build, but for anyone interested, I have a broken down list below (as best as can be determined by viewing Reika's video) So far I have gotten done the following:

• Outside
    • Turbines - 0/???
    • Boilers - ???
    • Steam Line - ???
  • Outer Ring
    • Toroid Magnet - 36/36
    • Plasma Injector - 0/4
      • Plasma Injector Base - 0/36
      • Plasma Injector Side Panel - 0/128
      • Plasma Injector Lower Corner - 0/72
      • Plasma Injector Top - 0/36
      • Plasma Injector Upper Corner - 0/72
      • Plasma Induction Coil - 0/12
      • Plasma Injector Column Piece - 0/40
      • Plasma Injector Hysteresis Core - 0/44
      • Magnetic Containment Pipe - 0/40
      • Fusion Plasma Injector - 0/4
    • Preheaters - 0/5
      • Magnetic Containment Pipe - 0/20
      • Liquid Pipe - 0/20
      • Laser Concentration Lens - 0/10
      • Thermal Insulation Core - 150/150
      • Pre-heater Unit Housing Corner - 60/60
      • Pre-heater Unit Housing Edge - 200/200
      • Pre-heater Unit Housing Face - 210/210
      • Hydrogen Preheater - 0/5
      • Heat Ray - 0/5
      • Tritium - ??? (Trying to figure out how to manufacture this)
      • Deuterium - ??? (Trying to figure out how to manufacture this too)
    • Neutron Absorber - 0/???
    • Van De Graaff Generator 0/4
  • Inner Ring
    • Solenoid - 0/1
      • Solenoid Magnet - 1/1
      • Solenoid Hub - 17/17
      • Hysteresis Rod - 40/40
      • Central Permanent Magnets - 5/20
      • Auxilary Permanent Magnets - 0/24
      • Ferromagnetic Base - 0/40
      • Magnetic Linkage - 0/56

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
And this is why I don't do RoC or ReactorCraft... Too much time and effort needed :p
But so worth it.[DOUBLEPOST=1412691654][/DOUBLEPOST]Tritium is produced via a fission reactor(I believe you somehow insert Deuterium?)
Deuterium is produced I believe by putting heavy water through an electrolyzer(with a van de graaf zapping it).

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
But so worth it.[DOUBLEPOST=1412691654][/DOUBLEPOST]Tritium is produced via a fission reactor(I believe you somehow insert Deuterium?)
Deuterium is produced I believe by putting heavy water through an electrolyzer(with a van de graaf zapping it).
I watched Reika's video on it a while ago, and I thought "Yeah, this looks cool" BUT! I also thought, god damn, even in creative mode this is bloody difficult, especially as he THE MOD DEVELOPER had trouble with it (although it was a simple error) it just takes too many resources to be worth it.

What does the reactor even produce (power wise) when it is maxed out?
I bet with the same amount of resources needed to make the reactor, you would be able to make a solar farm (or something similar, from other mods) that is more efficient...

Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing. But it's not worth it IMO :p

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I watched Reika's video on it a while ago, and I thought "Yeah, this looks cool" BUT! I also thought, god damn, even in creative mode this is bloody difficult, especially as he THE MOD DEVELOPER had trouble with it (although it was a simple error) it just takes too many resources to be worth it.

I bet with the same amount of resources needed to make the reactor, you would be able to make a solar farm (or something similar, from other mods) that is more efficient...

Take a top tier active cooled big reactor. Now multiply that power by a thousand. Still haven't touched the amount of power it produces.
A solar farm big enough to produce the amount of power this thing makes would lag you out TPS wise.[DOUBLEPOST=1412693372][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, don't forget that the fission reactor(s) you have to run to make the tritium ALSO produce power. I've seen designs netting a million rf/t just from the tritium reactor.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Bear in mind that "worth it" is almost irrelevant here. Its as much an accomplishment as anything else you could be bothering to do with your minecraft time.

The power it produces blows away just about any other popular mod's output, but the power isn't really the big deal here. You could get "stupidly unlimited power" just rocking a few fission reactors. Brian's embarking on a mission to become one of the few to build one of these and that alone is worth the endeavor.

@Brian Cherrick, @Iedra did something similar (a tokamak walkthrough thread) that is basically a 101 when taking on this challenge. I forget where it is or i'd provide a link.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
Bear in mind that "worth it" is almost irrelevant here. Its as much an accomplishment as anything else you could be bothering to do with your minecraft time.

The power it produces blows away just about any other popular mod's output, but the power isn't really the big deal here. You could get "stupidly unlimited power" just rocking a few fission reactors. Brian's embarking on a mission to become one of the few to build one of these and that alone is worth the endeavor.

@Brian Cherrick, @Iedra did something similar (a tokamak walkthrough thread) that is basically a 101 when taking on this challenge. I forget where it is or i'd provide a link.
Reika himself has done it at least twice
source: Ive seen the thing.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013

From what I seen in the videos/read online, the amount of power is proportional to the number of injectors (max 4) and the number of preheaters (no limit) in it.

Fission reactors it is .... luckily there is a ocean biome not to far from my house

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Daily update: Nothing new for the reactor itself created. However I do have ammonia processing up. As well as Cadmium, and Indium. Heavy water extraction will be worked on tomorrow. :)

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Side note : Still a fair bit behind on magnetite/lodestone. The quarry isn't bringing it in fast enough, and the laser drill isn't bringing any at all. Where can I get some?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I can't dig two blocks in my world between y=60 and y=80 without running into magnetite.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I'm sure. I'm playing Techworld 2, which is certified GregTech-free :p

I will give GT another go at some point in the future, it has changed immensely since I last saw it in early 1.5.2... but I was looking specifically for a pack to try out Reika's mods with, and Techworld proved to be relatively convenient in that regard.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Makes a lot of sense.

You already know this I suspect, but just be sure to stay on top of his updates (in single player anyway). He releases new versions very few weeks and they frequently add or fix large mechanics in the mod.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
Update : Got about 80% of the materials for the pre-heaters done. Still in search of more lodestone. Thinking about getting a boring machine setup.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I'm sure. I'm playing Techworld 2, which is certified GregTech-free :p

I will give GT another go at some point in the future, it has changed immensely since I last saw it in early 1.5.2... but I was looking specifically for a pack to try out Reika's mods with, and Techworld proved to be relatively convenient in that regard.
I'm beta testing a mappack that involves Reika's mods.