TC4.1 Improving nodes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to drastically improve nodes? I have found tens of small nodes that stop growing at 40-50 of each aspects and I wander if there is any way to improve their capacity. I know back in TC3 you could just merge smaller nodes to creative one large one but this is no longer possible in TC4 or am I mistaken?

I know I can move a lot of small nodes to recharge station but I would rather have 6 strong nodes for each aspects than 20-30 little ones.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Not possible without addons anymore, no.
Except for Hungry Nodes, but those have their own issues(namely the tendency to eat your base or, anything, really, except for obsidian or other "blast-proof" materials).

Besides, those 20-30 little nodes look more pretty then 5 or so mega nodes. Mind you, both would make your base light up like a christmass tree if one searched for nodes using a thaumometer or goggles of revealing, which would make life hell in PvP.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
There's not much point in PvP if your base is perfectly hidden and perfectly secure now, is it? Completely impervious to all harms and attempts to enter seems... Excessive. Defensive measures sound more fun than encasing your base in layers of MFFS and Warded Stone and calling it a day. Traps, disarming mystcraft portals that lead to dangerous locations, sentry turrents, mob-spawner enabled when detecting non-whitelisted players, retractable floors leading into death pits, all sorts of fun stuff, maybe even some parkour...

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I own np pvp server so it doesn't matter that base is visible to me :) Ok a bit a shame. I tried with hangry nodes but they are just not worth the hassle to me.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I own np pvp server so it doesn't matter that base is visible to me :) Ok a bit a shame. I tried with hangry nodes but they are just not worth the hassle to me.
There are plenty of ways to make using hungry nodes less of a issue. First and foremost is simply obsidian as a cage with a way to feed it. Second is the Warding Focus from TC 4.1, which makes blocks about as tough as TC3 Warded Stone.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
You can easily capture hungry nodes if you have the Equal Trade focus and some obsdian. The hungry node will not eat the obsidian, and it has a grace period between attempts to "eat" stuff. It will also not eat any blocks that are behind obsidian or other materials that have a blast resistance greater than 5. It will also not eat ores. So you could encase the hungry node relatively easily with one of those materials, top it off with wooden slabs, then quickly equal trade it to glass and wand it. POOF! Now you have a hungry node.

It's recommended that before you capture it into a jar, you make a mana bean farm and feed it at least a hundred of each type of mana bean, so it gains at least 100 of all the aspects of thaumcraft. Now you have one node that has absolutely everything in it, and no longer need any other node, ever.

I don't think there's any use for aspects other than primals on nodes as of yet. Or is there? If not than this is just for e-penis points.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You can easily capture hungry nodes if you have the Equal Trade focus and some obsdian. The hungry node will not eat the obsidian, and it has a grace period between attempts to "eat" stuff. It will also not eat any blocks that are behind obsidian or other materials that have a blast resistance greater than 5. It will also not eat ores. So you could encase the hungry node relatively easily with one of those materials, top it off with wooden slabs, then quickly equal trade it to glass and wand it. POOF! Now you have a hungry node.

It's recommended that before you capture it into a jar, you make a mana bean farm and feed it at least a hundred of each type of mana bean, so it gains at least 100 of all the aspects of thaumcraft. Now you have one node that has absolutely everything in it, and no longer need any other node, ever.

I don't think there's any use for aspects other than primals on nodes as of yet. Or is there? If not than this is just for e-penis points.
Compound Aspect's are usable in a Recharging Pedestal if you add a upgrade to it, and apparently some things will search for aspects, and can accept them from nodes, so there is that as well.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
It would be neat if Infusion Crafting could take aspects from Nodes as well as Jars of Essentia, if it doesn't already. It's been a while since i last played.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
It would be neat if Infusion Crafting could take aspects from Nodes as well as Jars of Essentia, if it doesn't already. It's been a while since i last played.
Vis from nodes and essentia for crafting are completely separate
There may be an add-on which changes these about, but not vanilla thaumcraft

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Vis from nodes and essentia for crafting are completely separate
There may be an add-on which changes these about, but not vanilla thaumcraft

Yeah, but like i said... It would be neat if Infusion Crafting could take aspects from nodes instead of only from jars. It would reward those that go far and wide to find nodes with composite aspects, which are kind of rare (exception the hungry node, which is also very rare). BTW, what's the use for composite aspects on nodes right now? Do they renew research points on the research table or serve another purpose? The wands/staffs only use primal aspects.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
BTW, what's the use for composite aspects on nodes right now? Do they renew research points on the research table or serve another purpose? The wands/staffs only use primal aspects.
There is an upgrade to wand recharge station that breaks composite aspects down to primal aspect and can recharge wand but you only get one primal aspect choosen at random. So if you have a node with potentia. Your wand will randomly charge either ordo or ingis from it in recharge station.

Also scanning it will grant you research points for those aspects.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
BTW, what's the use for composite aspects on nodes right now?
You may as well ask "What is the point of having around 50 aspects to begin with?" when most of them only seem to be used to complicate the process of getting the few you actually need. Breaking nodes will also drop ethereal essence with those aspects, so you don't have to hunt wisps for them.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
You may as well ask "What is the point of having around 50 aspects to begin with?" when most of them only seem to be used to complicate the process of getting the few you actually need. Breaking nodes will also drop ethereal essence with those aspects, so you don't have to hunt wisps for them.
I actually quite like the composite aspects. It means that you need to break down something somewhat related (such as leather/armour, and greatwood logs for magic armour), rather than just working out the 6 renewable sources for everything and scamming the system. It adds to the complexity of the mod and doesn't (to me, at least) feel like it's just adding more crafting steps, particularly with the different uses of essentia (power sources, crucibles and infusion).

And, I actively seek out nodes with compound aspects on them, as they're more varied in which aspects they can refill, so if you happen to be using a lot of Aer or Ordo, it can refill either. It needs a bit of extra infrastructure, but is worth it, overall.