TiCo & TC

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, I am an engineering-minded person, so the value of FTB is in its ability to create/integrate/calibrate/improve autonomous systems. TC doesn't sound like it would give me much entertainment in this realm, compared to others, nor does it provide me any valuable output that I would otherwise be able to utilize in other systems, such that I have more opportunity to do the create/blahblahblah-ing of autonomous systems.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, I've disabled GT for now, cause it's just conducive to time waste, rather than challenging play. I like the multiblock machines, is heavily reliant on centrifuging lava and like the UU-matter system. 1 mil EU is too easy to come by.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm. Lamp of Growth, enlighten me. How can I obtain fastest, and how can I integrate to utilize with MFR harvester/planter for tree -> biomass -> biofuel.
...You could always get an upgraded sewer, a few animals, send that sludge into a composter, send the fertilizer into a fertilizer, then enjoy the cheapest and quickest way of growing trees. Even better if they still have old bone meal mechanics.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, using trees for Herba seems stupid to me(since you need to get it from the leaves). Why not just use Cacti?

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, I am an engineering-minded person, so the value of FTB is in its ability to create/integrate/calibrate/improve autonomous systems. TC doesn't sound like it would give me much entertainment in this realm, compared to others, nor does it provide me any valuable output that I would otherwise be able to utilize in other systems, such that I have more opportunity to do the create/blahblahblah-ing of autonomous systems.

Golem-automated farms have absolutely no running costs. They can do any kind of plantable crop, they can replant them automatically, and with upgrades can service a pretty large area. You can also automate treefarms with them, again, with no running costs whatsoever. TC Axe of the Stream beats TiCo Lumber Axe, if only because trees felled with the Axe of the Stream decay leaves insanely faster. Hoe of Growth is basically infinite bonemeal if you get repair on it. Runic Armor is one of the coolest things that have been added by a mod thus far. Extra hearts that regenerate themselves very fast, armor doesn't render on your skin, and you can upgrade them to become even better - recharge faster, have more extra hearts, provide more normal armor... Very useful especially when mods start adding mobs that largely ignore armor. TC adds the Warding Focus, which you can use to make any block unbreakable by anything, and only you can unward the blocks, so major base protection. Also, Arcane Door and Pressure Plate for even more security - only you can open the door, but you can make keys and give them to friends if you want them to be able to enter you base as well. Extremely useful on PvP enabled servers, very few ways of getting around it. Lightning Focus gives you a very powerful ranged attack, something not many mods add.

There are many useful things in thaumcraft for automation. And most of the things in TC have no running costs, but can be sped up if given a certain essentia to help it along. Things like Arcane Lamps, Lamp of Growth, Lamp of Fertility, the Arcane Bore... Speaking of the Arcane Bore, what other mod adds a quarry that does enchants like fortune and silk touch? The Arcane Bore does it. Other ones i know of is Mekanism Digital Miner and Quarry+ - But those take power, and a LOT of power. Arcane Bore can run, albeit more slowly, without any running cost except the durability of the pick you put into it. Oh, and if you put an Arcane Lamp with Lux aspect being fed into it next to the Arcane Bore, it'll also automatically light the tunnel it's making, so no mobs spawns. It completely ignores liquids.

Still think TC is useless for automation? TC has LOADS of things that are useful for automation. And if you go TC, you can have a much more basic power grid, because you won't be needing to distribute power to Harvesters, Planters, etc... So in the process, you spend less materials building up your power grid, while still gaining all of the benefits of automation.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Running costs aside, it's more about speed and consistency. MFR farms don't require any pathing and produce their output at an already accelerated pace. Scaling my energy production cycle to meet the needs of its primary harvesting phase's, energy needs, is expected.

Reactions: PierceSG

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Running costs aside, it's more about speed and consistency. MFR farms don't require any pathing and produce their output at an already accelerated pace. Scaling my energy production cycle to meet the needs of its primary harvesting phase's, energy needs, is expected.
but it's not as cute as golems

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Also, consider that if you were to produce energy using solid-fuel boxes, the surplus of log you produce from the tree farm would greatly outweight any charcoal consumption. I have strong doubts that you will (long term) require the number of logs that the farm will produce.

Also, in order to keep up with fertilization antics (which I probably won't delve into, as it greatly makes variable the system's consistency) only the MFR harvester can keep up.[DOUBLEPOST=1395592122][/DOUBLEPOST]Overall, the arguments in favour of golems are purely antics.

I am still having trouble seeing why anybody would opt in favour of TC, aside from wanting to play TC. There is very little mutually exclusive, and competitive (engineering-wise) options that this mod presents in terms of cross-mod synergy.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Trust me. Magic mods are awesome. Try DartCraft if you want a mod that's in between both, and try Technomancy for a Tech addon to Thaumcraft.

Reactions: YX33A

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I am still having trouble seeing why anybody would opt in favour of TC, aside from wanting to play TC.
well, since relationship between master and slave have been touched already i'll phrase it thus:
TC is like BDSM. compared to traditional sex the outcome is same - you get laid, but you do it with style.

Reactions: Mevansuto and YX33A

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I hear that DC is overly OP. I am looking to engineer systems. Similar to having unlimited solar energy potential, which grows exponentially as you can produce more UU-matter -> iridium. It is why I opt in favour of GT, since that progression is already too short-term for my tastes.

Jokes aside, I don't think I will be setting aside time in my project management to deal with TC. Tune in ^^.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I hear that DC is overly OP. I am looking to engineer systems. Similar to having unlimited solar energy potential, which grows exponentially as you can produce more UU-matter -> iridium. It is why I opt in favour of GT, since that progression is already too short-term for my tastes.

Jokes aside, I don't think I will be setting aside time in my project management to deal with TC. Tune in ^^.
GOD, THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T LOOK AT CONFIGS RUIN EVERYTHING.
DC is highly configurable, from easy as hell to harder than gregtech.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, well I do have a lot on my plate already. Designing an entire base from scratch, down to the detail, before you even start building...

What is DC like then? Please give me a snippet, such like you were presenting an engineering project to a potential client, or somebody part of an engineering team, trying to address the advantage of utilizing this specific technology.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, well I do have a lot on my plate already. Designing an entire base from scratch, down to the detail, before you even start building...

What is DC like then? Please give me a snippet, such like you were presenting an engineering project to a potential client, or somebody part of an engineering team, trying to address the advantage of utilizing this specific technology.
Dartcraft adds a new ore, called power ore, into the game. Mining these gives you force gems, which you use to make force ingots, which is the entry point into the mod. You make a force rod with this and transmute a bookshelf into the handbook. It adds power generation for force, and has a take of its own on choosing your enchants. It has a specific progression system, and you can configure values for tons of things. You can further customize your experience by using MineTweaker to edit recipes.

I highly recommend you watch a mod spotlight on it or read the forum page.

EDIT: Some things you can do are:
Use time torches and the Rod of Time to control how fast entities move and TileEntities process. Very nice to speed up things.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's that I already have biofuel -> boiler -> MJ production/EU conversion.

I am utilizing mainly sapling -> biomass -> biofuel, with apple juice/honey to amplify the production once I can sustain it.

Is DC a stand-alone mod, like TC, or will I have to consider how DC will synergize with my already established plans? Do understand that alterations to this already established system, in terms of introducing new technologies, which might not present any inherent advantages, is a bit pointless.

What I'm saying, is that what makes it different/worth considering?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's that I already have biofuel -> boiler -> MJ production/EU conversion.

I am utilizing mainly sapling -> biomass -> biofuel, with apple juice/honey to amplify the production once I can sustain it.

Is DC a stand-alone mod, like TC, or will I have to consider how DC will synergize with my already established plans? Do understand that alterations to this already established system, in terms of introducing new technologies, which might not present any inherent advantages, is a bit pointless.

What I'm saying, is that what makes it different/worth considering?
Time manipulation. Also, it uses power, both EU and MJ. It also adds Force Bricks, colored bricks usable for nice building. As well as upgradable armor and tools. I wouldn't recommend the tools as TiC does customizable tools better.
Really, if you don't use it, you're missing out.

EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget Force Shears?