Any good Giant Castle tutorials ???

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
I use the Chisel mod for the blocks of the Castle, you can have a lot of really great bricks with just smooth stone in it, The idea of mossy and cracked stone wasn't in my plans, maybe if it was an old Castle, but my plan is rather a brand new Castle. But will probably have a prison in it and mossy and cracked stone would make sense there... I will probably also use a lot of Spruce wood for details on the Castle...

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I use the Chisel mod for the blocks of the Castle, you can have a lot of really great bricks with just smooth stone in it, The idea of mossy and cracked stone wasn't in my plans, maybe if it was an old Castle, but my plan is rather a brand new Castle. But will probably have a prison in it and mossy and cracked stone would make sense there... I will probably also use a lot of Spruce wood for details on the Castle...

Cool beans. Dont forget: pictures, or it never happened :)

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
May like to look at castles from the civil war. They have interesting geometry specifically designed to reduce weak points at any point on the wall. I specifically remember forts in st augustine florida being as such. They even had a special kind of morter that when shot with a cannon ball wouldnt crack, but just kinda absorbed the cannon ball.

Reactions: Padfoote

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
May like to look at castles from the civil war. They have interesting geometry specifically designed to reduce weak points at any point on the wall. I specifically remember forts in st augustine florida being as such. They even had a special kind of morter that when shot with a cannon ball wouldnt crack, but just kinda absorbed the cannon ball.

Interesting but all my walls will be filled with Obsidian already, I wanted bedrock but my brother feels like it would be cheating too much, since I'm on a private family server, its just because I can that I add the Obsidian into the walls, or maybe to spawn a bunch of creepers around it and see what happens, but I already have a plan for an obsidian room with a auto-spawner from MFR that would spawn creepers and I would kill them using TNT, they would keep me a steady supply of gunpowder for it so it wouldn't be a problem, already have a DSU filled with 539000 sand so not an issue either)...

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
Open blocks also has a block that can help you with the outline of your build if your not used to cylinders and spheres and if you want something more grand probably added mariculture and chisel into the mix for the stone texture it adds abd limestone and the painter machine

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting but all my walls will be filled with Obsidian already, I wanted bedrock but my brother feels like it would be cheating too much, since I'm on a private family server, its just because I can that I add the Obsidian into the walls, or maybe to spawn a bunch of creepers around it and see what happens, but I already have a plan for an obsidian room with a auto-spawner from MFR that would spawn creepers and I would kill them using TNT, they would keep me a steady supply of gunpowder for it so it wouldn't be a problem, already have a DSU filled with 539000 sand so not an issue either)...

The point of the geometry wasnt for how well the walls could repell attacks, but for how able the defenders were able to have clear line of sight on the enemy approaching the walls from multiple angles. For instance on a high wall, someone who is in the center and bottom of said wall is difficult to hit with an arrow given the angles the defenders have to utilize. However if said wall had more interesting geometry (ie more like a barbed star pattern) the attackers are constantly exposed to archers with a clean line of sight. Walls that intend to stop an enemy never do. Walls should be used to slow down and put the enemy into vulnerable positions for attack. Just a bit of modern castle/fortress building theory :)

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
The point of the geometry wasnt for how well the walls could repell attacks, but for how able the defenders were able to have clear line of sight on the enemy approaching the walls from multiple angles. For instance on a high wall, someone who is in the center and bottom of said wall is difficult to hit with an arrow given the angles the defenders have to utilize. However if said wall had more interesting geometry (ie more like a barbed star pattern) the attackers are constantly exposed to archers with a clean line of sight. Walls that intend to stop an enemy never do. Walls should be used to slow down and put the enemy into vulnerable positions for attack. Just a bit of modern castle/fortress building theory :)

My main defense isn't the walls themselves in that case, its that all of them are surrounded by water (maybe will be lava there, not sure yet), I will also have a few lines of punji sticks around there to make the place uncomfortable for potential enemies, also at the base of the castle, I may try to add some barricades from Tinkers Construct and surround them with cobwebs that looks like razor wires. Will also have some traps that use some Carpenters Blocks pressure plates, they can be set to react only to mobs so that's a nice trick for traps. To cover the other angles I couldn't see from the top of the Castle, I think I'll use some drawbridge structures that can extend on the sides, I think they had this kind of system in a Castle in UK.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
My main defense isn't the walls themselves in that case, its that all of them are surrounded by water (maybe will be lava there, not sure yet), I will also have a few lines of punji sticks around there to make the place uncomfortable for potential enemies, also at the base of the castle, I may try to add some barricades from Tinkers Construct and surround them with cobwebs that looks like razor wires. Will also have some traps that use some Carpenters Blocks pressure plates, they can be set to react only to mobs so that's a nice trick for traps. To cover the other angles I couldn't see from the top of the Castle, I think I'll use some drawbridge structures that can extend on the sides, I think they had this kind of system in a Castle in UK.

Fair enough, but I'm looking at the advancements made as a result of long range gunpowder weapons like cannons. Walls became lower, and squares became stars. If we are talking precannon age, then sure death planks will be just fine :)

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough, but I'm looking at the advancements made as a result of long range gunpowder weapons like cannons. Walls became lower, and squares became stars. If we are talking precannon age, then sure death planks will be just fine :)

Well since there's no cannon in FTB DW20 1.6.4 pack, I think my castle is really at medieval stage, the whole idea is to match what Vanilla Minecraft inspired me since I discovered it in early 2012, for me since Steve use a sword and bow and arrows, can wear armors made of iron, the game is medieval themed so I want to reflect that. Since I added Archimedes Ships, there will also be a large port with fully functional ships there.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Well since there's no cannon in FTB DW20 1.6.4 pack, I think my castle is really at medieval stage, the whole idea is to match what Vanilla Minecraft inspired me since I discovered it in early 2012, for me since Steve use a sword and bow and arrows, can wear armors made of iron, the game is medieval themed so I want to reflect that. Since I added Archimedes Ships, there will also be a large port with fully functional ships there.

Open blocks would like to have a word with you then...

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Open blocks would like to have a word with you then...

OpenBlocks Cannon aren't what I consider a real Cannon, I used some better ones in the past in the original Ships and Boats mod that were a lot better, you actually had to craft cannon balls and it was really nicely done. I may try to find a mod that offers weapons like that, but I don't wan't any modern weapons in my game, I'm more for a medieval themed weapon pack, but that's not for now, I actually have to build the Castle first before thinking of weapons to defend it...

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
OpenBlocks Cannon aren't what I consider a real Cannon, I used some better ones in the past in the original Ships and Boats mod that were a lot better, you actually had to craft cannon balls and it was really nicely done. I may try to find a mod that offers weapons like that, but I don't wan't any modern weapons in my game, I'm more for a medieval themed weapon pack, but that's not for now, I actually have to build the Castle first before thinking of weapons to defend it...

There is a medieval warfare pack. It was in beta last I looked. Had several forms of seige weapons and AI controlled mobs to attack/defend with.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1385622-152164-ancient-warfare-forgesmpwipdl/

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: kaovalin

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Looks epic, but this add way too much stuff, will consider this mod for a future light modded adventure, I'll bookmark it, I have plans on a adventure with Millenaire and a few mods like that...
It's actually pretty lightweight on worldgen if you disable the village forts. No new ores, trees, or any of that jazz. It's a staple of my setup, honestly. And I'm running almost the same things as Monster, except my game is stable, somehow.