ME Network questions

Zen300

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I've been playing FtB for about... 2 weeks now. And only recently got into using ME storage, it only took me a quarry & Multiblock tree farm (that doesn't even run all the time!) to realize that I needed a huge storage room or start up ME storage.

Now as a newbie to ME storage and the AE mod as a whole, I have figured out that I can link up multiple drives to a single controller to get what I want going, one giant storage unit. What I do not know, is if its possible to do my plan:

I have a modest base, but I'm realizing that I'm going to outgrow it fast... If not already as my quarry runs. So my plan was to setup 3 locations linked via roads. So my question and theory came up;

Can multiple ME Networks be run in conjunction with one another, but also not fully connected?
Is it possible to say have an IC2 building & a BC building share an ME network hub (a controller), but still have that controller linked to the main one in my current house?
Alongside having a Bee area under its own ME Network hub (yes a controller), while still connected to the main one in my current house?

The idea is that, when I'm at my house with the Main ME Network, I can access it and get anything I may need. Whether it be a Bee, frames, Alveary blocks, Tin ingots, Copper ingots, Iron ingots, etc. But when at my Bee area, I can only see Bee related items and vica versa with the industrial area allowing it to only see Dust, Ore, Ingots, etc.

I know even typing this it seems... Hard, possibly even impossible given my current knowledge of the mod, thus why I am here. To ask those who have played this mod a hell of a lot longer then I have for some help and/or advice ^.^

~Thanks

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite sure I understand the question - you want linked subnetworks?

It may be easier to use small LP systems for the smaller networks, then a request pipe connected to an ME Interface that serves as the main network. Not ideal, but it should allow the main ME system to access all of the subnetworks, but not the subnetworks to access the main network.

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
You can achieve some of what you want using subnetworks, but it wouldn't be particularly elegant. I am a strong proponent of people having a totally isolated bee network for drones, princesses, and combs. The products of the combs can be imported directly into the main network and dealt with from there for the most part.

If you don't want two areas to share the same network, the easiest solution that keeps it in the AE family (you could go outside to things like Logistics Pipes if you want) would be to have two separate terminals in an area, one for the local network and one for your main network. You could make them interact with each other on demand (ie. with crafting recipes) by placing an ME Interface for each network next to one another and wrenching them to interact together. This won't let them share access, but they can issue crafting commands across networks. Whatever you do -- you'll face the logistical issue of extending the network out where you want to -- whether using the extremely energy hungry Quantum Network Bridge, or just lots of ME Cable.

For some AE ideas:
Basic Subnetting:

Applications of Basic Subnetting:

Quantum Network Bridge:

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
No. You'd have to use the quantum link.
He's not trying to link two networks, he's trying to limit access from certain areas to part of the network. No simple way to do this with plain AE at the moment, but I believe its a planned feature.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
You can place a Storage Bus linked via cable to your main network on the ME Drives of the satellite networks. Use different coloured cables so the networks don't accidentally join.

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
You can place a Storage Bus linked via cable to your main network on the ME Drives of the satellite networks. Use different coloured cables so the networks don't accidentally join.

A storage bus on a ME Drive will let the subnetwork see all actual Disks (ie. 10 x 16k Storage Disk) but not any of the contents of the disks.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
No, there aren't any good ways with ME that I know of.

With logistics pipes you can do it, although it gets tedious. You have to put two sets of pipes on each storage unit (chest, DSU, etc.), one of which is connected to the main system and one of which is connected to the subsystem. You can connect the two sets of power with diamond pipes.

Although, that being said, why bother? With logistics pipes and inventory system connector pipes it takes virtually no extra time to request items from other bases.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
First off, what you're trying to achieve is kinda pointless. Reminds me of someone misusing access modifiers in Java.

AE plans custom sorting. This could achieve what you're trying to do.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
A storage bus on a ME Drive will let the subnetwork see all actual Disks (ie. 10 x 16k Storage Disk) but not any of the contents of the disks.

Yeah, that thought crept into my mind after I'd posted. Does the same apply to ME Chests?

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Note if you do end up running long cables, I suggest putting dark cables on either ends with some levers, so you can easily isolate segments or shut whole segments down to conserve power.

Get creative with MFR Rednet cables and you can run the control line along side the ME cables, so you can centralize the control :)

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
While I don't see the point other than it being an interesting challenge, I think you could do it (with a lot of work).

Building slightly on what dreath says above, off the top of my head I'd use:
  • A single AE network
  • Preformatted drives and fuzzy storage buses
  • Dark cables
  • Proximity detectors of some kind
The general idea would be that when you arrived in an area and triggered a detector (or flipped a lever or whatever), the appropriate sets of dark cables would be activated, turning on the drives you want and disconnecting the ones you don't.

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that thought crept into my mind after I'd posted. Does the same apply to ME Chests?

Yes, the items stored on the disk are not actually part of the "chest" inventory. Only the disk is. Anything that would interact with the inventory of the chest or see it would interact with the slot for the disk. The ME Interface is the block for inventory-type interaction with things in the network.

From an efficiency view point I can understand why people want to shut down parts of their networks while they aren't there. I am a proponent of being god awful wasteful and throwing oodles of power at things. I would also likely have those satellite bases performing some kind of task constantly while chunk-loaded that requires constant interaction with the network.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what the problem with the power is.

I plan to build a self building boiler factory :p

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I would probably go the "Proximity sensor" route. Have those sensors buried near all the needed access points. Each "sub base access" only activates the part that you are currently at and turns off the power when you leave. When at the "main base access", the sensor buried there would activate all subnets, the mainbase and all subnets. Sounds like a fun thing to try. *starts up ssp*

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Could use a obsidian pressure plate attached to a toggle style circuit. Walk in system comes on, walk out system turns off

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Use a button instead, so you can leave it on when you want (or off) - as well if there are more than one player in the area... imagine the annoyance when someone follows you in.

Zen300

Jul 29, 2019
Okay read through these posts and what intrigues me the most is the quantum bridge only thing is I do not see it in NEI... And I read that it is in a newer version of AE, is it possible to update AE in Unpeashed pack to the newer one without causing problems?
(Might just intrigue me the most for the fact that I am starting to desire more multi-block things in MC)

Otherwise I will have to scrap the idea or just try some of these ideas (the bridge seems the easiest to me on paper at the moment lol).

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
If you're using Applied Energistics rv12-a or later you'll have it. Search for @Applied in NEI, should be no issue.

If you are running a version without rv12-a, Applied Energistics is VERY update safe, even with the new block IDs you shouldn't have any problem just dropping the new zip into your mods folder, deleting the old one, and going to town.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
It will very likely work although I can't be sure because I don't play unleashed. However I did update recently in my current world and it caused no problems. As always, just make sure to make a back up of your world and then it won't matter if the game breaks because you can go back to the back up.