Problem [1.10.2] Can't keep up Chunk Generation

G

grester

I've been using Direwolf20's modpack for 1.10.2 and I've been having some can't keep up messages when exploring new areas of the world forcing new chunks creation.
A few days before I was using Infinity's 1.7.10 modpack and the server was working fine. Sure I did remove some mods but it was mostly cosmetic and machine mods not world gen related mods that add ores or stones.
Could 1.10.2 simply be a more demanding version than 1.7.10? Both versions were running in Java 8 with standard FTB parameters. I've tried increasing RAM alloc values to 1.10.2 but no difference. Increased CPU priority but no difference. I've tried installing fastcraft but it seems it's not compatible with 1.10.2 (as no modpack comes with it either). During mob fights the clients also notice some spikes from the server so maybe there's not much that can be done. I've tried other 1.10.2 modpacks and they also suffer from same chunk generation problem.

Server specs:
Intel Xeon X3220 @ 2.4GHz
6GB DDR2 RAM
Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Could 1.10.2 simply be a more demanding version than 1.7.10?

Yes it is.

The issue at hand is your hardware, old cpu and old ram - and is this running on ssd or hdd (slow read/write can ofc also give lag)?

If you can't replace or change for better hardware you can (and perhaps even with better hardware), do some pre-generation of chunks on your server to at least get rid of the worst lag spikes when someone is exploring.

Reactions: grester
G

grester

It's all on a SSD. How can i do that pre-gen of chunks?

I'll talk with my friends and we may just rollback to 1.7.10. The fact there's some spikes during combat as well, kinda worries me more than chunk generation.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
For 1.10.2 - not sure if there's a mod that can do it, haven't looked - but this works:

create a new world in creative mode, and then
/tp 0 250 0 /give @p command_block Right-click the command block, paste in the command copied from here: https://pastebin.com/y7UHeu4x Set the command block to 'always active' Set your render distance to 8 chunks /scoreboard players set @a Running 1 Wait (go AFK) for 'RadiusCompletedSoFar' to reach the desired size /scoreboard players set @a Running 0 Set your render distance back to whatever size you like

Source:

In older versions there are mods you can use for it, Admin Commands toolbox is one, but there are others as well I think.
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/admin-commands-toolbox/

Reactions: grester