Up to 9000

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
2784 so...how do the tests work?

in my eyes the only way to test how good someone is in programming is to give him a project and see how he handles it and look in the code of that project while the one that gets tested sometimes explain what his reasoning was behind the code he wrote.

the small 1 file or worse 1 function programs are too small to show how good someone is in programming.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
2785. That would be great for a final. My guess is that the tests would be on the concepts. But bear in mind... I finished nursing school 5yrs ago.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
2784 so...how do the tests work?

in my eyes the only way to test how good someone is in programming is to give him a project and see how he handles it and look in the code of that project while the one that gets tested sometimes explain what his reasoning was behind the code he wrote.

the small 1 file or worse 1 function programs are too small to show how good someone is in programming.
This test was mostly "write a half-dozen lines of code that does this particular thing" for a half-dozen different things the code should do, then some short-answer and fill-in-the-blank questions about the particulars of C syntax and terminology.

I agree, a programming project would do a better job of seeing if students actually know what they're doing... but we have programming projects for that.

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
2789 I'll be having some of those in the future. What's worse is that they are hand written, but properly formatted pieces of Java, with correct style conventions.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
2792 why do schools believe that those tests show anything? Maybe if its about some weird feature of a language and you want to see if that is understood without starting a whole project.
For example with javascript's non-blocking code concept you can ask something like

Why would the code below print 20 instead of 10.
Code:
var a = 10
$.ajax({
    url           :    "some/url.php",
    success  :     function(data){
         console.log(a)
    }
})
a=20

but again tests like these are very language specific and don't show how good someone is with that language, only shows if the one that gets tested is aware of certain language specific things.

Z

ZDavePlays

2795 :D
at least you know how to code :D so yea you can make mods i guess? and thanks! how did you know i was new?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
2795 :D
at least you know how to code :D so yea you can make mods i guess? and thanks! how did you know i was new?
I have tried my hand at modding MC, yes. I got some things to work, but then kinda got bored with it.

As for your second question...
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 12.46.09 AM.png

Also because I didn't recognize your username or your avatar.