Work Smarter Not Harder Mod Idea

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I am not a developer but do intend to learn Java, which I am already doing, in order to make mods. And this is my idea for a mod that I have in mind which I am excited for because I haven't been able to think of a mod I want to make.
What if you got rewarded for how many things you made or collect in the game. Modded minecraft has so many blocks and items with many going unused because of the popular mods having an easier way to do it.
So what if for every item or block collected your "intelligence" went up. And the higher your intelligence the more effects you can have. Some of my ideas were like speed or maybe a chance to dodge an attack and not take damage or other buffs.
Can anyone tell me if this would work and be possible? Because I don't know if this is even possible in Java haha.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe every 1st item you collect so you can't just spam mining dirt, and configurable amounts you get per item, and also minimum and maximum requirements on recipes so that we can have recipe "upgrades" and "discoveries".

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I didn't explain very well haha. But I'm still figuring it out myself. I ment it would like keep track of items or blocks you have gathered or made and give you one point for each new one. So dirt is one point, cobble is one and stone is another. And craft a wood pick 1 point, stone pick 1 point. And I think that second idea is interesting but I don't quite follow.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I didn't explain very well haha. But I'm still figuring it out myself. I ment it would like keep track of items or blocks you have gathered or made and give you one point for each new one. So dirt is one point, cobble is one and stone is another. And craft a wood pick 1 point, stone pick 1 point. And I think that second idea is interesting but I don't quite follow.

Recipes could require you to have at least X amount of intelligence in Y field, where a field is a collection of iems that are grouped together for whatverer reason.

Reactions: Azzanine

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I like that idea, it would require a lot on my end I feel haha. I have no idea of coding so hopefully I'll learn what applies as I go. Any devs or coders know what info I would have to focus on as I learn?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I like that idea, it would require a lot on my end I feel haha. I have no idea of coding so hopefully I'll learn what applies as I go. Any devs or coders know what info I would have to focus on as I learn?
Learn basic java and I'm to lazy to go link hunting. Look/post in these threads
  1. http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/santas-hopefully-helpful-links.51288/
  2. http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/simple-modding-q-as.51227/
  3. http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/code-snippets-classes.51404/

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you, and I will. I just thought I'd ask if there is any skill in Java that will be important

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds a little bit contrived, I don't think it would get people "using" the less popular mods. All it would do is force people to create the bare minimum machines to unlock the buffs they want. For example they'd have an unused minni FZ setup just becasue they wanted the Int points.
Unfortunately unpopular mods are unpopular for a reason, don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's becasue they are shit (well sometimes they are) it's just a side effect of huge mod packs. You will either get one mod that's so efficient that it trumps all the others or a efficient cross mod setup that uses 10% of 10 different mods which leads you to never truly use one particular mod.

Edit:
Recipes could require you to have at least X amount of intelligence in Y field, where a field is a collection of iems that are grouped together for whatverer reason.

Now this is an idea, but with a similar drawback. Also would be a pain to balance.
But adding a research discovery aspect to tech mods would be an interesting idea, but it will be unpopular.

Reactions: RedBoss

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
That's is food for thought for sure. I thought it would be interesting to have to push yourself to create and gather many things to progress. Just as a new objective in modded minecraft. I feel like once you get to late game it's creating the same things so that you can gather more resources. This way you may have another incentive to keep playing while at end game. Especially if you had to store the items for some reason, many many ae things

motorhue

Jul 29, 2019
You do actually have somewhat of the same thing in thaumcraft already where you get points for each new item you scan

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
That is true, but I was hoping to make it an "intelligence" thing and the smarter your character becomes the more abilities he unlocks instead of unlocking blocks and items, which I could also do maybe possibly

Reactions: 1SDAN

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
That is true, but I was hoping to make it an "intelligence" thing and the smarter your character becomes the more abilities he unlocks instead of unlocking blocks and items, which I could also do maybe possibly
I still wonder how this gets people to truly use the other mods and not just set up a redundant token system just for the buffs/ abilities.

Also I'd call the mod "Eureka!".

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
I still wonder how this gets people to truly use the other mods and not just set up a redundant token system just for the buffs/ abilities.

Also I'd call the mod "Eureka!".

I actually think it's a nice idea if it also had a "spend X innovation points to unlock Tech Y." It'd mean that you'd really need to get into all kinds of things, maybe player set things like being able to supply 10 coal per second to a machine for 10 minutes or something to gain extra Intelligence so that later on it's more "Achieve Goal X" than "Craft Item Y."

Jus' rambling

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
That is a good point, I wonder if I can address that point. And why Eureka?
The mod will be about learning and discovering other mods, gaining knowledge.
Eureka means "I have found it" in Ancient Greek, made known by the ancient scolar Archemidies when he discovered how the volume of an object that enters a body of liquid displaces that liquid by the volume of that object.

Also as I've already said I don't think you really can address that problem of people making token systems. Don't let that dissuade you though, but just be cognisent of the fact that your mod might not achieve the goals you set out for it.
What it will do however is reward those who do use all of the mods. I think if a mod is under used it is up to that modder to make it more popular if they think they need to.

SourC00lguy

Jul 29, 2019
1SDAN
No no that's a great idea I like it. Have no idea what is possible but I'll try to learn alot. I don't know what high level stuff I need
Azzanine
It is a problem that I think 1SDAN is on to helping. But this is only my rough rough idea

Reactions: 1SDAN