Forestry is making my brain hurt

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
If you want ridiculous amounts of wood, I found the steves carts method to be quite a bit faster than the forestry system. I half filled a barrel in about an hour and shut it down until I can build a system to process all that wood.

Sneeria

Jul 29, 2019
The reason BC Diamond pipes have all of those slots in the same color is for percentages. If you have 1 dirt block in one row, and 1 dirt block in another row, they will split it evenly. I have done this extensively on a previous world using another mod pack. Forestry is fun and worth it, keep it up!!!!! I will be delving further into forestry farms on our Let's Play. Another idea is....(spoiler) Thaumcraft golems????!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/WeAllPlayCast?feature=mhee

graydaze

Jul 29, 2019
If your going for a more compact design, redpower tubes will probably be a better choice. You can use the ash from your peat engines to create compost to use instead of fertilizer, but you will need more dirt. You can use your excess wheat and saplings to create plant balls which can be macerated into dirt. One plant ball macerates into eight dirt! Well then if you throw in a macerator into your system you will never run out of dirt!

EDIT
Another alternative in creating more dirt with your setup which im assuming is using a moistener to create mulch is to send your excess seeds to it for mycelium for a mushroom farm which outputs dirt, a factorization grinder or just a simple deployer-blockbreaker setup to break mycelium into dirt. Effectively turning your wheat farm into a dirt factory.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Did you try an item filter upgrade in your router? That probably would have helped.

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
The reason BC Diamond pipes have all of those slots in the same color is for percentages. If you have 1 dirt block in one row, and 1 dirt block in another row, they will split it evenly. I have done this extensively on a previous world using another mod pack. Forestry is fun and worth it, keep it up!!!!! I will be delving further into forestry farms on our Let's Play. Another idea is....(spoiler) Thaumcraft golems????!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/WeAllPlayCast?feature=mhee
That's what I get for dismissing diamond pipes for acting like other pipes. However, my current setup already uses 8 diamond pipes to sort all output from the farms into their proper location. Depending on how I can compact my setup, it might not be feasible for a while, since I simply have a lot of trouble mining for diamond despite branch mining for 3 weeks. Bad luck is bad.

Did you try an item filter upgrade in your router? That probably would have helped.
Definitely have, but the barrels that held dirt would empty, allowing anything else, like Saplings, in the system to drop in. I can probably make a second router system that sorts everything but the dirt, but that would be too troublesome as it again means another diamond pipe.

If you want ridiculous amounts of wood, I found the steves carts method to be quite a bit faster than the forestry system. I half filled a barrel in about an hour and shut it down until I can build a system to process all that wood.
Too lazy to play with Steve's Carts and Railcraft, to be honest. I like the idea of Railcraft complicating things a bit, but it does make creation of tracks to be a little...tedious at times. Also, I don't really need to create that much wood, as the system I'm trying to make supplies a slightly more stable stream of wood.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I get for dismissing diamond pipes for acting like other pipes. However, my current setup already uses 8 diamond pipes to sort all output from the farms into their proper location. Depending on how I can compact my setup, it might not be feasible for a while, since I simply have a lot of trouble mining for diamond despite branch mining for 3 weeks. Bad luck is bad.

Definitely have, but the barrels that held dirt would empty, allowing anything else, like Saplings, in the system to drop in. I can probably make a second router system that sorts everything but the dirt, but that would be too troublesome as it again means another diamond pipe.

Too lazy to play with Steve's Carts and Railcraft, to be honest. I like the idea of Railcraft complicating things a bit, but it does make creation of tracks to be a little...tedious at times. Also, I don't really need to create that much wood, as the system I'm trying to make supplies a slightly more stable stream of wood.

Use a redpower sorting machines and color coded paths to ensure that everything goes into the correct barrels. a single machine can sort a LOT of items. then use a buffer and anither sorting machine to split dirt into their correct ratios for controlling production.
They might take some blutricity to run, but that is not that expensive to set up tbh. even tho it has an entry cost of 2 diamonds (for making the wafers for the solar panels and sorting machine)

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019

Diamond pipes aren't perfect. Maybe even over the long haul but in the short term, they will unbalance your system enough to require constant attention. You WILL find your peat farm is constantly covered in grass because is ran out.

The cart took some wiki reading to make, but works great It even fuels itself from all the wood it collects and still produces 8x more wood than the forestry method. If you find an abandoned mineshaft, you'll have all the rails you need in 15 mins.

DR3ADLORD

Jul 29, 2019
The steve's cart setup is waaaay easier to automate because you dont need a bunch of different resources. You need the cart with a motor, a wood cutting module, and chests. Place the track and two cargo managers (or put it on a corner with two detection tracks; with each side working on emptying chests and one filling the engine). I used to use Forestry for tree farms until I started using Steve's Carts and now I feel slightly sad for people that still try to automate them. You could even add a fertilizer module to it as well but honestly I have so many logs I started void piping them just so I could have the saplings and apples. The server I build this on is offline right now otherwise I would supply a picture.
Honestly I could probably completely run all of my IC2 stuff off of charcoal and generators (only have ind blast furnace and electrolyzer so far).
One of the best uses of diamonds I have found so far and amazingly simple to keep running.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, there's also the benefit that you can make a cart track as long as you like - so those five diamonds can stretch a long, long, way. It's slightly nontrivial to interface RP2 and the cargo manager, but do it properly and it's basically a set-and-forget system, like Dread said.

(In addition, I don't think the chunk loader module requires fuel to run continuously, although it adds considerable expense to the construction.)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
As far as splitting up the dirt evenly, There's a Mod For That(tm). It's called Advanced Buildcraft Objects, and the item is called the Round Robin Pipe. Basically, things going through the pipe are split evenly between options. So if you hit a T intersection, half will go one way and half will go the other.

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
Excellent news, because yes, I am kind of a purist in a sense.

I only intend to use what's available in the mod pack, so while I knew of ABO, it just didn't fit with how I wanted to play the game. I mean, the most I'd do is update LWJGL and use Optifine, but that's about it.

I've had the build finalized for a while too. Just haven't bothered implementing it for real in my actual game world.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
On the system plan picture you had a few posts back, you're not going to want to split it 50/50. Bog earth takes 4 dirt wile humus takes 8. Your humus will be empty fast, and the bog earth will gum up.

I say screw forestry tree farms, go for the Steve's carts. Easier, faster, more efficient. I actually had to create a system to put all my stuff. And I still have too many saplings.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
The only problem is suggesting Steve's Carts farms is if he was building a Rubber Tree farm, as, in my experience, SC doesn't take kindly to non-vanilla saplings.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Excellent news, because yes, I am kind of a purist in a sense.

I only intend to use what's available in the mod pack, so while I knew of ABO, it just didn't fit with how I wanted to play the game. I mean, the most I'd do is update LWJGL and use Optifine, but that's about it.

I've had the build finalized for a while too. Just haven't bothered implementing it for real in my actual game world.

So my question is... you know that RP2-Pipes devide items evenly if both destinations are the same distance. So if you need to go half of the dirt back into on farm and the over half for the second farm you could just split them with RP2, because RP2 really devides equally. You don't even need a single machine for that, besides a transposer/filter to pull out of an inventory. Using a sorting-machine for this is rather overcomplicated.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, reading the description more carefully, the emerald pipe won't work: it won't let you select a destination that way. Rats.

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
So my question is... you know that RP2-Pipes devide items evenly if both destinations are the same distance. So if you need to go half of the dirt back into on farm and the over half for the second farm you could just split them with RP2, because RP2 really devides equally. You don't even need a single machine for that, besides a transposer/filter to pull out of an inventory. Using a sorting-machine for this is rather overcomplicated.
The problem lies with the 'Same distance' condition. It's quite hard to have a consistently filled Carpenter, Auto Crafting Table, space for output and movement and keep the tubes equidistant.

In that situation, I would rather have a sorting machine/filter system handle the dirt splitting. Adding a chest buffer would really just increase the size of the system.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, would this work?

Set up two chests (or buffers or whatever) immediately after the fork:
A
|-IN
B
Then connect A and B to whatever. The intermediate destinations are equidistant but the final destinations don't necessarily have to be, right?
Actually, I think a transposer counts as a destination, right?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
May I point out that 2/3 of the dirt actually has to go to the peat bog? Only 6 Bog Earth are produced from 4 Dirt. Or maybe that's a GregTech thing.

Anyway, if you're running short on Dirt, you can turn Saplings into Plantballs. Can they get Pulverized into dirt, or is that Macerator-only?

Another way to manufacture Sand is with an Igneous Extruder and a Macerator/Pulverizer (though your limitations prevent IC2, so you'd need a Pulverizer.)

Anyway, just to ask, how are you planning to get the Bog Earth crafting done? What sort of container of water will you use? Empty buckets will eventually clog up your chests you're drawing them from.