RP Wind turbine, optimal height?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

Does the RP2 wind turbine improve its output based on height?

I currently have one set up at Y:100 and it seems... ok, power-wise, but I was hoping for better. I know that it varies based on weather as well.

Would it make sense for me to jack it up another 50 levels or so? I have it strung up with 10KV wire and transformers and all that.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I tested wind turbines and windmills at y=60-70 in a superlfat world (redstone ready preset). From my observations, the amount of power produced seems entirely random, so long as no other block obstructs them. I have definitely seen them hit near maximum output even in clear weather.

If height has any influence, it is subtle - shifting the distribution average upwards, for example. But you can definitely get maximum output at any height, and my wind turbine was at or above 50% more often than not even at ground level. I'd say it's not worth the trouble trying to find high places for it, just slap it on your roof or in any sufficiently clear area.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
It might be altered by biome, too. I know there are some sort of temperature/etc values in the game somewhere, but I don't know how to get access to them.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have one set up at Y:100 and it seems... ok, power-wise, but I was hoping for better. I know that it varies based on weather as well.

Ok? Are you upsteping it with a transformer to get it down the 50-100 blocks to where your using it and not just running normal wire?

I only ask because even with a crappy set up I can easy get 10 times the power out of a wind mill then I can out of solar.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
Ok? Are you upsteping it with a transformer to get it down the 50-100 blocks to where your using it and not just running normal wire?

I only ask because even with a crappy set up I can easy get 10 times the power out of a wind mill then I can out of solar.

Yeah, it's hooked up to a transformer at the top, and another one at the bottom. It all works well enough, just that as I said, I was hoping for more.

It's probably just because I'm sinking all the power into a magma crucible. :)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it's hooked up to a transformer at the top, and another one at the bottom. It all works well enough, just that as I said, I was hoping for more.

It's probably just because I'm sinking all the power into a magma crucible. :)

you will need more. Testing has shown you get around 2k ish. if your using the BT engine you can max the engine out at 32k so you would need 16 windmills in the upright setup.