Funky Locomotion builds

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys !

So, the DW20 pack for 1.7.10 includes this awesome mod that is Funky Locomotion. I know that in the past, you could do the same with other mods, but I didn't play FTB at that time (shame on me I know).

Most of us have probably seen the Überminer from DW20 himself and all the possible variants (the AE2 one from Soaryn, etc), and my question is: what fun/crazy things did you make with this mod ?

I'm currently trying to make a computer-driven platform that can travel in NESW directions (maybe up and down to), so I'll post screenshots and maybe a video when I come up with a good design :)

Jakalth

Jul 29, 2019
NESW movement can be done the same way as redpower, or thanks too three types of frame movers in this mod, several other ways.

Redpower style 4-axis caterpillar drive: http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/4-axisdrivecore_zps31be6c8a.jpg

Simple 2-axis caterpillar drive: http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/caterpillardrivecore_zpse324505a.jpg

Both of these work just fine once wired up with redstone wiring. But they are by no means the best way to do it. There is at least 4 ways to do each of the two drives shown.

As for fun builds... Well, this one is simple, elegant, and very much expandable. The frame driven Blood Magic ritual of Magnatism. Aka: Self Propelled Ore Vacuum. Activate the ritual once and never have to worry about it again. It keeps working no matter how many time you move it. Fyi, the terrain smasher always goes in the north/west corner.

RitualMiner_zps6efa499a.jpg

I have found no way to incorporate the ritual of the crusher into this or it would be fully blood magic ore gathering...

Last edited:

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
I made some progress in my build - I can now use a CC computer to indicate a direction and my platform will move accordingly.

The only down side of that, is that the computer is rebooted after each move. If I want the platform to move more than 1 block, I'll have to save all the required data in a file, read it on startup, move 1 more, etc.

Do you know if there is a workaround to prevent the computer from rebooting after being moved by the funky locomotion frames ?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I made some progress in my build - I can now use a CC computer to indicate a direction and my platform will move accordingly.

The only down side of that, is that the computer is rebooted after each move. If I want the platform to move more than 1 block, I'll have to save all the required data in a file, read it on startup, move 1 more, etc.

Do you know if there is a workaround to prevent the computer from rebooting after being moved by the funky locomotion frames ?
I know almost nothing about CC, but keeping the computer somewhere not on the frames to keep it from resetting and using wireless modems might work.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012

as it reboots it leaves the thread that used to run the code alive on the server, do this excessively and the server will curl up and die unless rebooted often (or that issue is fixed for funky locomotion as it was for MFFS)

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
as it reboots it leaves the thread that used to run the code alive on the server, do this excessively and the server will curl up and die unless rebooted often (or that issue is fixed for funky locomotion as it was for MFFS)

That might explain why I can't restart my test world right now..

I know almost nothing about CC, but keeping the computer somewhere not on the frames to keep it from resetting and using wireless modems might work.

The thing is, I wanted to be able to go on the platform and then navigate it, like some sort of ship

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
That might explain why I can't restart my test world right now..

The thing is, I wanted to be able to go on the platform and then navigate it, like some sort of ship
a turtle that is in the middle of a cross where 1 block away are sliders that go away from the turtle. then if you want the thing to move then have the turtle move in that direction and pulse redstone which moves the frame and a (always active) puller resets the slider.

side view for 2 axis:
Code:
        p^
        s^
p< s< . T . s> p>
        s\/
        p\/

p is puller in the direction of the < s is a slider T is the turtle and . is air; surround with frames and you can put a chest for fuel in one of the corners

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah turtles !!!! I completely forgot that they could move by themselves =)

I'll need to supply them with coal, but that shouldn't be a problem :)

Can turtles be linked to CC monitors though ? My first goal was to have some kind of touchscreen with directions...

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
they can attach directly though not with wired modem

you can use 2 turtles, one behind the monitor that sends signals over the wireless and has space to move (either before or after the frame moves) and one that does the moving

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm starting to think that what I wanna build is maybe not so easy after all !

Yeah unless I put the monitor right above the moving turtle (one layer above ".T."), I'll have to get two of them and sync their moves, which could be tricky.. mhhh..
I may do it without the monitor first.. and then upgrade when I'm inspired

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
moving in sync is easy:

Code:
if sending turtle needs to move first do
    turtle.forward();
    send(forward);
    recieve_done();
else
    send(forward);
    recieve_done();
    turtle.forward();
end

this way you can put the controlling turtle behind a corner of the monitor so that for left, up and forward it needs to move first and for right, down and back it needs to move last. and the corner of the monitor is supported by frames on the edges keeping the path clear for the sending turtle

Death_Rictus

Jul 29, 2019
I have found no way to incorporate the ritual of the crusher into this or it would be fully blood magic ore gathering...
Route the ore to the tesseract or replace the crystal chest with an ender chest, transport it to your base, feed the ore into an autonomous activator under the ritual of the crusher to be placed.