[1.8] Mod Development Help Thread/Updating to 1.8 Thread

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Someone on the forge IRC channel mentioned that a new patch for Forge 1.8 will contain the notion of 'custom baked models'. According to the people there I will be able to make my shield block work again (the shield block in my mod can mimic any other block in Minecraft so it needs to be able to use the texture from another block). So at least that part will be covered and maybe that custom baked model will allow for more things to do here.

Anyway, it is not in forge yet. It is a patch thas has been submitted I believe.
Hopefully it gets through

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So what happens when CoFHCore, AsieLib, Mantle, etc., etc., all do the same thing because they're not willing to take a dep on DragonAPI? Are all these hooks going to be able to coexist?
Yes, they can coexist. If Forge refuses to include the fix on its own, there is no choice but for us to put it in our own code.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
This link may be of use to some people:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Block_models

It's basically a description of the JSON file structure for blockstates, models, and items. Have a look at various assets in the mojang folder to compare and see these things in play. After reading the above link I'm pretty confident in what each of the parts of the JSON's do

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
holy **** what where they thinking with even using a JSON format...

even minimized that thing is too verbose to even be considered to be used in any decent title. granted I find obj to already be too clunky for anything but experiments and learning.

There should be an option for dynamically choosing to render only some parts of the models. an extension of the variant system should do where if multiple variants match then render all of them.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Stuff related to dynamic rendering is happening. If you hang around in Forge irc the guy called "fry" has made a possible solution. So just give Forge 1.8 a bit of time and we will see whether it gets into forge

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Stuff related to dynamic rendering is happening. If you hang around in Forge irc the guy called "fry" has made a possible solution. So just give Forge 1.8 a bit of time and we will see whether it gets into forge
If it does get into Forge, is there a significant reason to update to 1.8 yet?

Reactions: SatanicSanta

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I can't think of one.

Well 1.8 did add some nice mechanics to the game. The new underwater mob (I haven't actually seen that many mods that add something similar to that to be honest) and the totally new villager AI (who can now plant crops and do stuff like that). I sure would like to play with those at some point.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Well 1.8 did add some nice mechanics to the game. The new underwater mob (I haven't actually seen that many mods that add something similar to that to be honest) and the totally new villager AI (who can now plant crops and do stuff like that). I sure would like to play with those at some point.
I'm pretty sure the underwater stuff was added to Gany's Surface, and I never care about villagers.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
The reason why individually you should update to 1.8 is because:

1. Despite your lack of interest in updating and the difficulties it will bring with modding you must realise you aren't going to be able to stop everyone. It's just not going to happen
2. If you want your mods to be played they need to be played on what everyone else is playing. I guarantee you. People will move to 1.8 eventually and you will be left behind.

I should mention that you obviously don't need to update now, you can wait until everyone else has started moving if you wish since I don't see any good 1.8 packs coming out in the next month or two.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
The reason why individually you should update to 1.8 is because:

1. Despite your lack of interest in updating and the difficulties it will bring with modding you must realise you aren't going to be able to stop everyone. It's just not going to happen
2. If you want your mods to be played they need to be played on what everyone else is playing. I guarantee you. People will move to 1.8 eventually and you will be left behind.

I should mention that you obviously don't need to update now, you can wait until everyone else has started moving if you wish since I don't see any good 1.8 packs coming out in the next month or two.
Logical Vikestep *grumbles*

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kinda worried about all the BlockPos, Integer, IBlockState etc. instances that are created on the heap and burden the gabage collector.

It might look more elegant in code to pass a BlockPos to a method instead of x, y, and z but god knows how much RAM and GC time it costs.

Looks like Block States haven't completely replaced metadata: There are getStateFromMeta and getMetaFromState which have to be overridden. Before 1.8 metadata only goes up to 16 and if that's still the case then you can't store more than 4 bits in a block state. Now compare that to how much RAM all the pointers and allocated objects around a block state take.

I doubt that 4 GB of RAM will be enough for any medium sized modpack in the future.

I updated a small mod of mine to 1.8. Seems like the blocks work functionally now but they all look like black and purple squares yet.