Wither Spawner w/ Extra Bees?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

joel42

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Forums!
So, I was talking with a friend of mine who runs a MindCrack FTB server, and he told me that if you place a normal skeleton spawner in the nether, it spawns wither skeletons. First off, I need to know if that's true. Also, I don't want to have to kill tons of skeletons to make a soul shard spawner for withers, so i was wondering if if i could use boney bees (which spawn skeletons when in an apiary) in the nether as a wither spawner instead.
Thanks!
btw, my server wants the wither spawner to eventually get nether stars for beacons and portal guns. If there's an easier way to get those, I'd love to know as well.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You can also right-click a soul shard on a spawner of the appropriate type to get an effective 200 kills out of it (one tier), so finding four or five skeleton spawners in dungeons might be a more effective method of obtaining a Tier 5 Skeleton Shard Spawner.

I don't know if your bony bees will spawn wither skeletons in the Nether, you might want to try that out and see for yourself... assuming the flower they prefer can grow in the Nether, of course.

There's a Wither Harvester machine done with MFFS and a Turtle which probably makes farming them much easier.

hergy7

Jul 29, 2019
With the latest update soul shards no longer spawn wither skeles. If you drag a normal skele spawner (one from a dungeon) to a fortress it will work don't know about the bees hope this helps!

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
You would be better off just finding a skeleton spawner and making a drop trap and kill them with splash healing potions.

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Skeleton spawners creating wither skeletons in the nether is a bug (which I assume is why the soulshards author decided to change it for his spawners), btw.

@ShneekeyTheLost: That's a Wither farm, not a wither skeleton farm (which is what he wants in order to summon the wither).

joel42

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe skeleton spawners spawning withers in the nether is a bug, as they do it with soulshard spawners all the time on the mindcrack server. I guess i'll do some creative testing for myself. thanks everyone!

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I swear a Mojang dev said that skeleton spawners shouldn't create wither skeletons in the nether (they do have their own spawner, after all).

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Wither skeletons spawning in place of skeletons when in the nether is a bug/feature like Mojang does sometimes with ther code, taking shortcuts where they should not.

Think of it like how the village work, and how they only enabled them in flat biomes as a result of the bug.
Basically, the code for skeletons is the same as the one for wither skeletons, same for the zombies/zombie villager.

The author of soul shards stated that he is not happy in the slightest that you can just fill a soul shard with skeletons and use in the nether for wither.
He views that as an exploit and is/was working on making them separate, as far as the shards are concerned.

But as he won't change the "normal" spawners, you can still use portalgun to take the spawner and bring it in the nether. I won't say how to bring it through dimensions, as I have no idea, but I know it is possible.
I think AvidiaZen (on youtube) did the reverse (blaze spawner from the fortress to the overworld), so there should be a way.

Sure, it won't be as fast, but the shard thing will get fixed one day, if not already done, so don't rely too much on that and use the normal spawner in the nether to fill a soul shard with nether skeletons directly.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
You just right click to carry a spawner with a portal gun. Walk to your nether protal. Go through. profit.