(Monster) Beastly Logger

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
some of you may have seen on youtube some of the crazy contraptions people have built in vanilla mc to harvest trees. now we all know the machinery in ftb is more than capable of doing the task, but what if:

we had pistons that could extend more than 1 block?
we had a way to harvest the tree, collect the saplings, AND get some apples in the process?
we had a way of doing all this, with very little power, and no fertilizer/bonemeal needed to accelerate the process?

i give you, the Beastly Logger:

2014-10-14_23.01.30.png

2014-10-14_23.01.49.png

yep you are not seeing things. those pistons are extended to 4 blocks ;) read below what mod does this.

2014-10-14_23.02.53.png

the ae controller, storage, and a view of the monostable circuit firing as a tree has just grown

for the redstone inclined: the blocks between the 4 dirt pads are always charged, making a simple block detector when the tree grows. from there it goes off to a monostable circuit, which fires the stack of pistons. they grab the logs, pull them back and the ME transition planes suck the logs in. the beauty of this method is the leaves destroy themselves very quickly (about a little over a second), thanks to the placement of a few timewood clock blocks and liliypads of fertility around the tree pads. this allows for natural generation of saplings and apples, which get swept up by 4 vacuum hoppers placed around the farm floor. in the last image you see a project red framed alloy wire, this runs underneath the farm to the 2 blocks that have the charged redstone on them, allowing me to turn on/off the farm as needed. i had to use the pr frames because there is an MFR planter in the middle of the floor underneath the center block, and it would be disabled if there was a redstone signal on it, so its got microblock covers on the sides, preventing the frame wires from connecting to it. torches would not work here, i tried ;)

as i said, low power...the only thing that needs power is the AE network powering the transition planes, and the mfr planter underneath the farm. no need for fertilizer, the trees spawn fairly quickly. the only drawback to this setup, is the size of the trees allowed to grow...it is capped so only 4-6 high trees will grow, no branched trees allowed or things will break. even so, after running for an hour i had about 3000 blocks of wood, 700+ saplings, and over 2 stacks of apples. not a bad investment considering its not an expensive build (except for the timewood blocks...dont know how many you could ever get in one session in the twilight forest)

the pistons are from a mod called More Pistons, search for it on modlist.mcf.li/version/1.6.4. it includes pistons that extend up to 8 blocks away and a few extras. i wanted to use these because trees dont like being grown in crowded spaces, this lets them get the area they need to grow quickly without waiting forever or needing some sort of fertilizing system in place. i have a design that uses a triple piston extender setup, but again, that interferes with the area the tree needs to grow in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hazard

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Thats actually quite cool!

But then lazy me sets up an harvester xd

Another cool way would be to use drawbridge over the trunk of the tree and when it grows, it gets pushed down. Dunno if it will actually work but would be nice to try :)

Also, Autonomous activator for more power free planting ;)

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
I was Afk for a while but I see that you are still doing awesome stuff. How much does that produce?!?

after running for an hour i had about 3000 blocks of wood, 700+ saplings, and over 2 stacks of apples

the lilypads and timewood blocks really accelerate tree growth and leaf decay, so as soon as the logs are stored, the leaves take like a second to dissapear and another tree will grow almost as quickly. its not quite as good in terms of quantity like a jungle tree farm with an mfr harvester, but the speed in which trees and leaves removed definitely beats the other methods. and you get the apples as well. ;) they drop like 1 every 5-10 seconds, sometimes more. depends on the drops from the tree.

Also, Autonomous activator for more power free planting ;)

i tried that. but the problem is when you have blocks blocking the growing area, it slows down the process as the tree takes longer to grow. 1 planter for 4 trees is not a big power drain anyway ;)

i did have a 'pusher' design like the vanilla tree harvestor/leaf crusher designs you see on youtube, but that requires a whole lot more work, and drawbridges i think will not extend if something were in the way

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
the lilypads and timewood blocks really accelerate tree growth and leaf decay, so as soon as the logs are stored, the leaves take like a second to dissapear and another tree will grow almost as quickly. its not quite as good in terms of quantity like a jungle tree farm with an mfr harvester, but the speed in which trees and leaves removed definitely beats the other methods. and you get the apples as well. ;) they drop like 1 every 5-10 seconds, sometimes more. depends on the drops from the tree.

i tried that. but the problem is when you have blocks blocking the growing area, it slows down the process as the tree takes longer to grow. 1 planter for 4 trees is not a big power drain anyway ;)

i did have a 'pusher' design like the vanilla tree harvestor/leaf crusher designs you see on youtube, but that requires a whole lot more work, and drawbridges i think will not extend if something were in the way
You can put the AA at the same level then the dirt and set it on high

Last edited:

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
You can put the AA at the same level then the dirt and set it on high
you are awesome. that works perfectly. so all that needs power is the transition planes. gotta figure out how to remove those out of the picture ;)