Water mill setups

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
What do you guys run in terms of water mills? I don't know if it's just me, but personally I get a kick out of designing the best bang-for-your-buck water mill tower setup.

This is the Tower Of Power setup I just finished for my current FTB Ultimate world, I could probably eek a bit more performance out of it just for bragging rights but here's the stats as of right now:
  • 64 unmanned water mills
  • 5 x 5 x 12 dimensions = 300 blocks
  • Power output = 12EU/t
  • Power output efficiency = 75%
The surprising thing is that it was actually pretty easy to make the 64 water mills (mind you I'm using the IC2 recipe), so 12EU/t is a decent result considering it'll be a constant 12EU/t all day and all night. A 100% efficient setup would fetch 16EU/t but would be 16 times bigger (17 x 17 x 17).

So 12EU/t is about the same as having 24 basic solar panels running over a full Minecraft day and night cycle, but personally I don't like using solar panels when everyone and their brother is doing it.

1XHsEbp.png

fC29zlG.png

TVAQpoa.png

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want to upset you, but that is inefficient :/

I just used minedraft to show you a top down look on what is (in my experience) the best power producer:
c42vS.jpg

The stone is your wall of any type. Water is water. Gold block is watermill. Diamond block is cable.

Obviously, you can put this on as many layers as you like.
I prefer no more than 16 stacks (64 watermills, 16 cables) to every 1 batbox, as I believe you can't transfer any more power into the batbox (dunno if that changed since I last used them)
But hope this helps...
Just remember, if you put a watermill against a block, that means it produces less power. So apart from having a massive pool where you go (X X X X) with watermills, and put a cable above them, then then this is probably the best way to harness their power

However, just looking at it again. I think it is fine, apart from what I can only assume are watermills in the middle?

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want to upset you, but that is inefficient :/

I just used minedraft to show you a top down look on what is (in my experience) the best power producer:
c42vS.jpg

The stone is your wall of any type. Water is water. Gold block is watermill. Diamond block is cable.

Obviously, you can put this on as many layers as you like.
I prefer no more than 16 stacks (64 watermills, 16 cables) to every 1 batbox, as I believe you can't transfer any more power into the batbox (dunno if that changed since I last used them)
But hope this helps...
Just remember, if you put a watermill against a block, that means it produces less power. So apart from having a massive pool where you go (X X X X) with watermills, and put a cable above them, then then this is probably the best way to harness their power

However, just looking at it again. I think it is fine, apart from what I can only assume are watermills in the middle?

Well I'm not necessarily aiming for 100% efficiency because the perfect setup takes up too much space.
That setup you're showing would work great, the difference is that I'm just cramming more mills into a tighter space to get things more compact, but at the same time keep efficiency as high as possible.

I use alternating levels of water mills, it looks like it'd be inefficient as heck on-paper but it makes a decent amount of power.
(Now that I'm looking at it, it's not exactly a 5 x 5 footprint but anyways)

ceeYw4b.png

Last edited:

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
the left one is the most efficient out of the 2. but just remember how much a cable can transfer, and if you hit that limit (e.g. I think it's 16eu/t for tin) then pop a batbox on the end, to ensure you don't lose power