Ars Magica help?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
This mod is huge... and I'm having some issues. Mainly leveling, and up to date guides on spell creation. Every how-to video I watch is a player casting a fireball or similar low level skill a couple times to get to level 4-5. Their burnout rarely increases, and they can cast them every few seconds. This is not my experience. I had to cast about 30 of them at zombies to get level 5, my burnout maxes out each cast and mana is nearly fully consumed.

I started using the "Dig" ability, and the "Heal" ability instead.. after (Not exaggerating) about 500 casts later, massive downtime between each cast, I am level 11. Still no where close to enough mana to do even 2 casts of a decent spell. Somethings not right here. Multiple guides say make a Lifetap/Heal/Regen spell, and use that to level. So I did, and I get about 12-15 XP out of the 450 needed per cast and I can only cast it about once every 30 seconds. What am I doing wrong?

I also don't get the new spell creation. There's different sections where you can put "self", "projectile", etc. The UI is completely different than the how-to videos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are there any videos that cover the latest version?

Last edited:

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
There are different levels of casting these casting modes determine the power of the spell (there are 3 lvls) higher lvls cost more per cast try going into controls and finding the button for casting mode (sliver moon near mana is lowest)[DOUBLEPOST=1411956066][/DOUBLEPOST]Also make a spell along the lines of this
Life tap heal (iirc) this spell converts health to mana then heals it lvls you and gives you mana

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I changed casting mode to "I" and it still doesn't work. I don't see any moon near mana. :(

SoraZodia

Forum Ghost
Third Party Pack Team
Mod Developer
Mar 11, 2014
I changed casting mode to "I" and it still doesn't work. I don't see any moon near mana. :(
He was referring to Casting Modes, which was removed in the 1.2 update. There's now Shape Groups which are the reason for the UI that you are seeing while making your spells. Mithion explained about it in his update video over here.

There's nothing wrong with your spells. The Heal ability was given a cooldown in the newer versions of Ars Magica to prevent players (like me) from exploiting it and the Lifetap-Heal spell was nerfed because it allowed players to fully regain their mana at almost no cost. I suggest using Mana Potions or standing near a active nexus to help you quickly regain mana.

Use projectile light its about the cheapest spell ever
And this, Who needs torches when you got magic :p

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
He was referring to Casting Modes, which was removed in the 1.2 update. There's now Shape Groups which are the reason for the UI that you are seeing while making your spells. Mithion explained about it in his update video over here.

There's nothing wrong with your spells. The Heal ability was given a cooldown in the newer versions of Ars Magica to prevent players (like me) from exploiting it and the Lifetap-Heal spell was nerfed because it allowed players to fully regain their mana at almost no cost. I suggest using Mana Potions or standing near a active nexus to help you quickly regain mana.

And this, Who needs torches when you got magic :p
Oh darn... wow I have been out of the loop