1.8 "The Bountiful Update" Released

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
What I should say though is that despite any of that, I've still been playing it, I've still been enjoying it, and I'll still be modding it, because it's Minecraft and that's what we do.

I like having new building materials, and actually having some variation to doors is pretty swell. I doubt I'll be having any armor stands doing the macarena, but those and banners will be fun to play with too. I could do without the rabbits honestly, but making sheep drop meat is nice. Then there's the whole sea temple thing which I haven't checked out at all. Overall I think there's enough content to keep folks entertained for a while.

Reactions: E_DM_B and PierceSG

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I will say this: If I were to pick any era of minecraft to stop and go back to, it would probably be 1.2.5. Mostly because I never played SMP, and 1.3 on just basically imported SMP bugs into my SSP environment. That to this day have STILL never been fixed. I had IC2 and BC2 and Forestry before it got injected with troll bees and multiblock farms. It was a gilded time, I suppose. Or perhaps it's just the nostalgia glasses.

Then again, it was a bit more challenging to play with mods back then. We had MagicLauncher to help, the Tekkit launcher was the pioneer in the field, but other than that, it was... very challenging. Forge, as you know it today, didn't exist. There was also ModLoader and ModLoaderMP. Forge, back then, was just a very powerful API. Then Forge got tired of waiting on ModLoader to update, and came up with FML. The rest, as they say, was history. But back in 1.2.5, it was more complicated than simply 'drop into Mods folder'.

You know what I want to see in 1.9? Back-end optimization. Screw new features, I want them to clean up their damn code. They're developing Microsoftitis.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
I will say this: If I were to pick any era of minecraft to stop and go back to, it would probably be 1.2.5. Mostly because I never played SMP, and 1.3 on just basically imported SMP bugs into my SSP environment. That to this day have STILL never been fixed. I had IC2 and BC2 and Forestry before it got injected with troll bees and multiblock farms. It was a gilded time, I suppose. Or perhaps it's just the nostalgia glasses.

Then again, it was a bit more challenging to play with mods back then. We had MagicLauncher to help, the Tekkit launcher was the pioneer in the field, but other than that, it was... very challenging. Forge, as you know it today, didn't exist. There was also ModLoader and ModLoaderMP. Forge, back then, was just a very powerful API. Then Forge got tired of waiting on ModLoader to update, and came up with FML. The rest, as they say, was history. But back in 1.2.5, it was more complicated than simply 'drop into Mods folder'.

You know what I want to see in 1.9? Back-end optimization. Screw new features, I want them to clean up their damn code. They're developing Microsoftitis.
NO, IT CANT BE TRUE!!! "Search your heart young jedi, you know it to be true" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019

Weren't Mojang saying something that for the 1.7 update they added something like 500,000 new lines of code?
I don't know a whole heck of a lot about game programming, but it seems like a lot for what was basically a biome update (granted they also removed Herobrine, but...y'know).

Reactions: FyberOptic

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
sadly it seems Minecraft itself is only going downhill from here unless Mojang decides to really step up their game
the past few versions some nice things were added, but if you compare it to how much problems these new versions have brought aswell... well, 1.2.5 and 1.6.4 were golden times, but I'm afraid there won't be any more golden times

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I have to agree with @ShneekeyTheLost Vanilla MC has had enough content updates (large amounts in a short time), it's time to get their house in order and optimise. Having had some programming experience, I fail to see how all the new content and so called optimisations could possibly equate to all those new lines of code and classes.

There's a lot of skill in the modding community, perhaps they should privately get in touch with various members for ideas/suggestions/recommendations.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Oh dear and here I was hoping that this would be an OMG 1.8 is awesome I get a bajillion FPS thread, I thought this update was primarily an optimisation and performance update...

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Oh dear and here I was hoping that this would be an OMG 1.8 is awesome I get a bajillion FPS thread, I thought this update was primarily an optimisation and performance update...

Yeah I thought it was going to be a great update as well...I was hearing good stories about optimisation and 10% increases in fps.
But I swear honest to goodness, I cannot get 1.8 to run at more than 60fps :/ Even with these settings, it won't go over:
Max Framerate = Unlimited, Graphics = Fast, Clouds = Off, Smooth lighting = Off, Minimap Levels = Off
With those settings on 1.6.4 I'd be hitting 350fps like a freakin' animal, but on 1.8 it's still at a lazy 56-60fps. It's beyond me.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
If 10% of effort that goes into keeping up with Mojang updates were spent on finishing open source alternatives, such as Terasology...

Reactions: Tat45

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Holy shit this so much. I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. And he worded it so much better than I would have.

I'm pretty sure every mod developer feels this way about Mojang right now. I read a lot of things on the internet about minecraft and modding, and lately this sentiment seems universal. I'm just a gamer, I don't program anything if it isn't written in BASIC (welcome to 1977 and Hunt The Wumpus? LOL), but I can certainly still tell which way the wind is blowing, and its not a good direction either.

Reactions: FyberOptic

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I thought it was going to be a great update as well...I was hearing good stories about optimisation and 10% increases in fps.
But I swear honest to goodness, I cannot get 1.8 to run at more than 60fps :/ Even with these settings, it won't go over:
Max Framerate = Unlimited, Graphics = Fast, Clouds = Off, Smooth lighting = Off, Minimap Levels = Off
With those settings on 1.6.4 I'd be hitting 350fps like a freakin' animal, but on 1.8 it's still at a lazy 56-60fps. It's beyond me.

Sounds a bit like Screen Sync is activated?
Is "Use VSync" set to off?

I get easy over 60 with my PC@Work that is not a high end machine.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Stupid question here, but did you turn off VSYNC? It'll lock you at 60fps, primarily for better performance on cheaper monitors and better synchronization for videos like Youtube.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure every mod developer feels this way about Mojang right now. I read a lot of things on the internet about minecraft and modding, and lately this sentiment seems universal. I'm just a gamer, I don't program anything if it isn't written in BASIC (welcome to 1977 and Hunt The Wumpus? LOL), but I can certainly still tell which way the wind is blowing, and its not a good direction either.

Basic with line numbers and 8-bit ASCII (for lower case alphabetic characters)? THAT was real programming, let me tell you!

The only thing I liked better was a good HEX number pad for base-16 machine code.

-Or an Octal pad for base-8 (both normal and split octal varieties)

Heck with it! My absolute favorite was SPST switches, either toggle or rocker, each with it's own status led, for real binary, baby! :D

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
It would be if it actually worked correctly.

I just downloaded the 1.8 release, loaded in my JVM arguments (added in RAM allocation and stuff, because MC launcher), and get no better performance than I do in 1.7.10, if not then worse. I was playing a modpack last night with 150 mods installed, and I was getting about 30-40fps. Today, in 1.8, I tested default settings, maximum settings, and minimum settings, and minimum with 32/15 render distance. Default settings got me at a whopping 5fps. Maximum settings got me about 12fps, until I started to move. Minimum got me 20ish. Minimum with 32 just straight up didn't work. Minimum with 15 got me the same results as maximum settings.

The only thing about this update I like is the ocean stuff. Everything else is just annoying, and "optimization" that works for 50% of people, and is completely broken for the other half.

I agree with @Golrith and @ShneekeyTheLost on 1.9. They need to optimize things correctly. This is just absurd. IMO, they should have looked at the MC Wiki article about performance before releasing, then figured out what the issue is. The computer that tested OSX for that article lost about 100fps IIRC with the 1.8 update.

From what I can tell it is "if you have a stupidly amazing computer, you're good, if you computer is slightly dated/not op, you're screwed".

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
I am just done with reading everything about how completely f'ed up beyond all nightmares the code for Minecraft is (jesus f'ck 2500 classes) and the only thing I have to say is...

I wonder how well these mods could work in Terraria... I am sure some ideas could be ported just fine... anybody up for learning some Json?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I still get the chunk loading problems in 1.8. I load a new world and fly around in creative mode. It's as if the game doesn't realize my location properly. The chunks around the spawn point load in... but when I fly to the edge of them, no new chunks load for many minutes. I don't even know how long it takes the game to render them because I haven't had the patience or the desire to wait it out. But whatever - as I said, I'm just gonna pretend like 1.8 never happened, and I'm just gonna get psyched for some 1.7 FTB, hopefully by the end of this year.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Problem is, not everyone wants to buy Terraria, and not everyone likes Terraria.
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions games. This is a Minecraft mod community, it is assumed we all own Minecraft here, but the same argument applies to this game as well as any other.

Also, it was a joke, more like saying "fly, you fools".

Reactions: SatanicSanta

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I still get the chunk loading problems in 1.8. I load a new world and fly around in creative mode. It's as if the game doesn't realize my location properly. The chunks around the spawn point load in... but when I fly to the edge of them, no new chunks load for many minutes. I don't even know how long it takes the game to render them because I haven't had the patience or the desire to wait it out. But whatever - as I said, I'm just gonna pretend like 1.8 never happened, and I'm just gonna get psyched for some 1.7 FTB, hopefully by the end of this year.
I also have this problem.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I will say this: If I were to pick any era of minecraft to stop and go back to, it would probably be 1.2.5.

Yeah there was something lost starting with 1.3 after server integration happened. So much code was rewritten that the game lost some of the feel it had previously had. I feel like that's happened again now, particularly from the way mobs react when you hit them, which may never be quite right again. But this isn't the first time we've noticed changes in how the game feels. Coincidentally it was beta 1.8 which was one of the biggest, where we got things like sprinting, hunger, new terrain generation, and a new lighting system. To use the old Yogscast joke, it was like a whole new game. If you want a much different experience, try modding beta 1.7.3 sometime! Slap down a BuildCraft quarry, power it with a redstone clock since engines didn't exist yet. Power some IC2 machines with copper power cables nearly the size of an entire block. Try to light up around your base with torches that barely carry any light. And be thankful to at least have CraftGuide installed to look up recipes instead of checking wikis. Definitely different times.

But yeah I've gone back and played 1.2.5 on multiple occasions. It's almost made me want to retro-mod it to fix some of the bugs (particularly animals vs fences), add in conveniences like shift-clicking things through your inventory, and particularly dragging in the crafting grid (which is one thing I missed recently on a 1.4.7 server). I did at least add the shift-clicking aspect, to move items between inventories, into alpha 1.1.2 back when I modded it. I ended up with the unintended bonus consequence of also being able to shift-click things from my inventory into the crafting grid, too, which is something I kinda wish you could still do.

I wonder how well these mods could work in Terraria... I am sure some ideas could be ported just fine... anybody up for learning some Json?

I looked into Terraria modding once, even though I haven't played the game a whole lot. It's written in C#. This means it's similar to Java in terms of being able to disassemble the game, but the process involved in actually doing so is a bit more complicated. The C# classes are embedded in the EXE, so even after you extract them, decompile them, repair the source code so that it'll recompile, etc, you then have to deal with getting the recompiled versions back into the EXE again.

I believe there's some modding APIs, but from what I saw there's not anything like the standardization available that there is for Minecraft. It feels far closer to what the Minecraft Pocket Edition community deals with.

Last edited: