Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
By your logic, I have the right to do anything I want. I have the right to steal or kill? As a person, you only have one right which no one can take away. Dying.
Please don't try to argue semantics or the interpretation of the English language. This is a RoC thread. Stop derailing it.
I may be late on this one, but you do have the right to just go out and murder 1 million babies if you wanna. You must also accept the consequences for your actions, though. So while you are, in fact, allowed to steal the Statue of Liberty, don't expect to be forgiven for doing so, Carmen.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I may be late on this one, but you do have the right to just go out and murder 1 million babies if you wanna. You must also accept the consequences for your actions, though. So while you are, in fact, allowed to steal the Statue of Liberty, don't expect to be forgiven for doing so, Carmen.
Power, not right.

Rights are bestowed by a conglomerate. (The state, country, village council of elders, whatever)
Agree with the entirety in principal however.

How did we even start talking about English anyway? I must've missed a post or two.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Power, not right.

Rights are bestowed by a conglomerate. (The state, country, village council of elders, whatever)
Agree with the entirety in principal however.

How did we even start talking about English anyway? I must've missed a post or two.
Hm? Oh, right. Still, it's still true. You can do it... If you want to, and are willing to accept the consequences for doing so.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019

It was an argument I was too tired to have the good sense not to get into a couple nights ago. Had to do with the 'right' to complain about how a mod works.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It was an argument I was too tired to have the good sense not to get into a couple nights ago. Had to do with the 'right' to complain about how a mod works.
Oh of course.

Well, everyone has a right to complain about how it works. Crucially, the modmakers have a right to completely ignore those complaints or not read/listen to them at all.

Criticism isn't a black-and-white thing where everything falls cleanly into "positive" and "negative". But some sort of feedback is necessary for a mod to generally improve. And even negative criticism can sometimes be beneficial (pretend a total wackjob took over thermal expansion and transformed all the machines to the present IC2 e-net)

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Oh of course.
Well, everyone has a right to complain about how it works. Crucially, the modmakers have a right to completely ignore those complaints or not read/listen to them at all.
Criticism isn't a black-and-white thing where everything falls cleanly into "positive" and "negative". But some sort of feedback is necessary for a mod to generally improve. And even negative criticism can sometimes be beneficial (pretend a total wackjob took over thermal expansion and transformed all the machines to the present IC2 e-net)
That was the feeling I had.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Rude to whom?
Just about everyone.

I would be making more use of lubricant hoses and fuel lines if they connected to tesseracts.
They should...

And that is relevant exactly how? Except in an aesthetic sense? In the end, these are fantasy ingredients whose connection to real-world chemical compounds is nonexistent except in a thematic sense. As I see it, there is no reason to disallow tweaking it as long as the grinder is still needed. Also, you were ready to compromise in-world consistency to keep people from skipping tech tiers, why not forego the luxury - or rather, allow others to tweak things in order to forego it - of this element of cross-world consistency to make it a little easier to explore RotaryCraft?
Because short of creating an entire chemical engineering mini-mod, this is the most realistic way to create jet fuel, which is highly refined and very complex. Even more than the tiering, realism is still the most important driving feature of RotaryCraft.

For, say, people like me who aren't afraid of complexity but are put off by certain kinds of resource-gathering, more so if it's in the Nether? Being somewhat realistic is all good, but I think it is not unreasonable to permit tweaking a recipe if it takes more time to set up the logistics for a mid-tier production facility for one fuel type than it takes to explore the rest of the tech tree.

Edit:
Here's what you need for a reliable supply of jet fuel ingredients if you want to stay with RoC as much as possible: a blaze spawner, a slime spawner, a boring machine in the nether, a boring machine in the overworld, the ability to fly (for the ghast tear), an ethanol production facility and repeated expeditions into the Nether to gather soul sand manually. Basically, I'd say without either Forestry and Gendustry or Magical Crops it's not worth the effort and if you're put off RotaryCraft completely by it that's perfectly understandable. You do want people who take an interest in RotaryCraft and are willing to learn the basics to continue to explore it, right?
I have no idea why you think ghast tears require flight (even if so, the RC jetpack is easy to make and use), why a blaze spawner is difficult, or how slimeballs are difficult to acquire. All of these are much, much easier still if there is a mod like TiC or ChromatiCraft installed.

Reactions: Padfoote

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you have MFR put one in a poke ball and shove that in an Auto-Spawner.

Edit: I Haven't checked, can you substitute the green slime balls with the blue ones from TiCo?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
I'm not sure how am I supposed to use this mod. If it is used standalone, it has huge holes in some places, such as tree farming and item transportation. So, I should use other mods. But if I use other mods, I can just use their energy transportation and generation utilities, making all that gear stuff mostly obsolete.
Also, it's confusing and unrealistic that rotation transportation blocks, such as shafts, are directional.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm not sure how am I supposed to use this mod. If it is used standalone, it has huge holes in some places, such as tree farming and item transportation.
Which are filled by the woodcutter and the pneumatic item pump, which is not very expensive.

Also, it's confusing and unrealistic that rotation transportation blocks, such as shafts, are directional.
It is also an unavoidable technical necessity. I fail to see how it is confusing given the presence of very obvious I/O renders.

Edit: I Haven't checked, can you substitute the green slime balls with the blue ones from TiCo?
For making magma cream, yes.

Btw how would you automate slimeballs without Magical Crops?
A slime farm? That can be done in vanilla.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure how am I supposed to use this mod. If it is used standalone, it has huge holes in some places, such as tree farming and item transportation. So, I should use other mods. But if I use other mods, I can just use their energy transportation and generation utilities, making all that gear stuff mostly obsolete.
What?
Tree farming - see Woodcutter

Also, nija'ed by Reika himself. :(

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I have no idea why you think ghast tears require flight (even if so, the RC jetpack is easy to make and use)
I have never been able to take out a ghast without being able to fly, and even then, I usually lose the tear. The only way I have ever gotten ghast tears except for a rare lucky find is with a safari net and an MFR spawner.

why a blaze spawner is difficult, or how slimeballs are difficult to acquire.
Slimeballs are extremely difficult to acquire in quantities without the help of other mods like TiCo or MFR, and to mention these as a rejoinder, that I find not legitimate. Not every modpack has them, and not every player wants them. A mod's difficult should be judged in an environment where there are no other content-adding mods except those from the same family. Also, I get the feeling you don't *want* to understand. What makes jet fuel production such a roadblock is not any single ingredient, but the combined difficulty and facilities needed to acquiring significant quantities of *all* the ingredients. That's what makes people who just want to explore RotaryCraft a little look at the recipe and back off.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
I have never been able to take out a ghast without being able to fly, and even then, I usually lose the tear. The only way I have ever gotten ghast tears except for a rare lucky find is with a safari net and an MFR spawner.

Have you tried using a bow. I shot down and acquired a small handful of tears just last night.
This... wouldn't be good for mass production. But if you're using it for jet fuel; doesn't the tear not get consumed?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
They actually do and I think they can put fluids into the tesseract, but they can't extract from it.

Btw how would you automate slimeballs without Magical Crops?

Slimeballs are extremely difficult to acquire in quantities without the help of other mods like TiCo or MFR, and to mention these as a rejoinder, that I find not legitimate. Not every modpack has them, and not every player wants them. A mod's difficult should be judged in an environment where there are no other content-adding mods except those from the same family. Also, I get the feeling you don't *want* to understand. What makes jet fuel production such a roadblock is not any single ingredient, but the combined difficulty and facilities needed to acquiring significant quantities of *all* the ingredients. That's what makes people who just want to explore RotaryCraft a little look at the recipe and back off.
Topkek
Lrn 2 Bee.

DepressivesBrot

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried using a bow. I shot down and acquired a small handful of tears just last night.
This... wouldn't be good for mass production. But if you're using it for jet fuel; doesn't the tear not get consumed?
The tear is a catalyst, one will last you a lifetime.
Imo Soul Sand is the real bottleneck for scale productions since it's neither a mobdrop nor super abundant.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
What? You've never played vanilla minecraft then? Ghast are traditionally hunted with a bow and arrow or if you're feeling lucky, playing tennis with its fireball.
Add Reliquary and you just stand still with a wrath's eye in hand and have the coin active. AFK ghast tears, assuming nothing else is trying to kill you.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Which are filled by the woodcutter and the pneumatic item pump, which is not very expensive.
Maybe I'm just spoiled by other mods. But pump price per block and woodcutter that cuts on one spot and does not even replant sapling reliably seems too gregtechy.

It is also an unavoidable technical necessity. I fail to see how it is confusing given the presence of very obvious I/O renders.
Yes, I figured it out, but it ruins all suspension of disbelief. And makes many interesting builds impossible. For example, having alternative redstone-switchable routes by means of shaft junction and clutches.