Identifying the source of "Can't keep up" error

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
In my 1.7.10 modpack I'm designing, I've noticed recently (as in the last few days) serious lag in brand new worlds. It must be a result of some mod I've updated. Could Opis identify the culprit? I don't know if it can provide any information on this error. Or is there a different/better tool that can help me track down the exact problem?

Just take a look at these insane times! Yep, 115189ms (2 minutes of lag)!!

Code:
[19:53:22] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 17248ms behind, skipping 344 tick(s)
[19:53:55] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 29056ms behind, skipping 581 tick(s)
[19:53:59] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 3744ms behind, skipping 74 tick(s)
[19:54:29] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 15022ms behind, skipping 300 tick(s)
[19:54:42] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2077ms behind, skipping 41 tick(s)
[19:55:03] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2378ms behind, skipping 47 tick(s)
[19:55:23] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 3649ms behind, skipping 72 tick(s)
[19:56:11] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 15209ms behind, skipping 304 tick(s)
[19:57:12] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 31690ms behind, skipping 633 tick(s)
[19:57:16] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 4172ms behind, skipping 83 tick(s)
[19:57:39] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 12605ms behind, skipping 252 tick(s)
[19:59:27] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 95971ms behind, skipping 1919 tick(s)
[19:59:52] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 24984ms behind, skipping 499 tick(s)
[20:01:08] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 49381ms behind, skipping 987 tick(s)
[20:03:31] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 115189ms behind, skipping 2303 tick(s)
[20:03:35] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 4411ms behind, skipping 88 tick(s)

Reactions: RedBoss

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
1.7.10 has known issues with worldgen, did you explore a lot of new land around the time of this issue? You may also want to try /cofh tps to see if a specific dimension is causing issues. OPIS may or may not help depending on what the problem is, certainly can't hurt as a diagnostic tool, though. Be sure to check the server's RAM use too; has it reached the cap or does it still have RAM to work with?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
1.7.10 has known issues with worldgen, did you explore a lot of new land around the time of this issue? You may also want to try /cofh tps to see if a specific dimension is causing issues. OPIS may or may not help depending on what the problem is, certainly can't hurt as a diagnostic tool, though. Be sure to check the server's RAM use too; has it reached the cap or does it still have RAM to work with?
I'm using the fastcraft mod that helps with the major 1.7.10 worldgen issues. Been designing this pack over the last few weeks, but this problem has only been the last few days.
I'll try that cofh command, might be a different dimension. RAM I believe is fine too (I'll check in a mo).

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Opis gave me a clue, turns out the culprit mod is Father Toasts Special Mobs for 1.7.10.
Opis TPS chart spiked up to 500 with the mod, without it, smooth at around 20.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Opis gave me a clue, turns out the culprit mod is Father Toasts Special Mobs for 1.7.10.
Opis TPS chart spiked up to 500 with the mod, without it, smooth at around 20.

first time I had that mod installed my game lagged really bad in singleplayer, took me like 5 tries and 20 seconds to finally break a block

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
first time I had that mod installed my game lagged really bad in singleplayer, took me like 5 tries and 20 seconds to finally break a block
Bragging Match started... :p

Took 12 minutes for the game to quit back to menu!!

But, defo something not quite right in that mod. I knew in 1.6.4 it would conflict with Zombie Awareness unless you disabled various parts of FTSM, mostly AI stuff. But it seems most of the AI stuff has now been extracted for the Special AI mod.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Bragging Match started... :p

Took 12 minutes for the game to quit back to menu!!

But, defo something not quite right in that mod. I knew in 1.6.4 it would conflict with Zombie Awareness unless you disabled various parts of FTSM, mostly AI stuff. But it seems most of the AI stuff has now been extracted for the Special AI mod.

12 minutes? ain't no one got time for that
I'd have forcefully closed Minecraft after 3 minutes

Reactions: JaRyCu

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Yup, quite sure my computer is a TARDIS that's stuck on forward....

damned youtube....

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
FWIW, I've been facing this same issue for the past few days myself. :( Then I was having crashes around mariculture mod (resolved now - mantle library was one version behind!) and I have gone past crashes, back to a working, albeit seriously laggy game! My suspicion was that it was mariculture playing culprit, as that was the latest mod to go in. But, going by the varying "mod culprits" posted here, it might be a good time to pull out the usual "disable half the mods and see if you still lag" strategy, I think! :(

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
FWIW, I've been facing this same issue for the past few days myself. :( Then I was having crashes around mariculture mod (resolved now - mantle library was one version behind!) and I have gone past crashes, back to a working, albeit seriously laggy game! My suspicion was that it was mariculture playing culprit, as that was the latest mod to go in. But, going by the varying "mod culprits" posted here, it might be a good time to pull out the usual "disable half the mods and see if you still lag" strategy, I think! :(
I've found last night that the latest version of NEI (that I was using, not the latest latest) was causing the game to freeze solid, requiring alt-ctrl-del to fix. The latest lastest version wasn't showing anything at all in NEI. Using the recommended seemed to be more stable, but I'm getting rendering errors in the players armour slots.

It's to be expected really, 1.7.10 is still in alpha/beta stage for large number of mods, plus forge is constantly updating. Not exactly a stable environment to build a pack in.