Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't even think the debate is "high tech vs. low tech" or one power system being superior or inferior to the rest, or even that having one power system simplifies things... all of that should be besides the point.

I think the debate should be more about the mainstream FTB packs not even attempting to use something new. If it doesn't conform to old conventions it's not even considered.
Technically, they're fairly "modern" conventions, but I get your point.

Also, 100% agree that the tech-level of a pack is irrelevant.

Guys, the worse case scenario here is that we see a bunch of themed, RF-specific packs for a short period of time, the membership drops off/fails to improve/whatever, and someone decides the whole idea was a bad one.

Its a decision that is really easy to reverse. I can't get all worked up about this. The negative implications are fairly short term at worst and in that event I have some pretty damn good third-party packs to fall upon.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Guess I'm just an optimist :)

I think if there's a reasonable market for a thing, they'll pursue it. There are FTB-competitors, and overly constraining themselves would just risk letting them get left behind.

Also, they want to put a focus on "themed" packs (which I approve.) New, peripheral mods are just an easy and fun theme to work with.
Well alternative packs are what I use. FTB hasn't interested me in a long time. The new RF/HQM focus is even less appealing than GT dominated packs... TO ME. Heck at this point, I just make my own pack collections and play those. The most "non-Red" stuff I'll ever use will be config packs.

I do find it hilarious that people hated on GT for forcing linear progression and excessive material grinding, yet HQM w/ Ex-mods is specifically about linear progression and excessive grinding.

If people don't want to be restricted to RF only packs, then that's a HUGE opportunity for the other launchers. ATLauncher & Technic have a very healthy selection of professionally maintained packs. For that matter there's a huge player base on those launchers being marketed there by high profile YouTube personalities. Between Attack of the B-Team on Technic and Yogscast/RR, CrackPack, & Hermicraft Modsauce, you have a lot of popular packs that aren't RF-only. People have choices and restrictions that aren't favorable will force the community to explore those choices.

Last edited:

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Just my two cents....

All the hype of a forestry version that runs on RF, why is it a big deal? RF easily converts to mj using (for now) EU energy pipes and ultimately TE conduits when they return, why would there need to be a whole separate version of forestry based solely on RF when you can more easily just hook up some pipes/conduit to power everything?

What am I missing?

Peat-powered dynamos don't exist. :p Everything else can be used by dynamos, including peat, but then you lose out on the ash byproduct, which I want to use. *That's* why I welcome RForestry.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I do find it hilarious that people hated on GT for forcing linear progression and excessive material grinding, yet HQM w/ Ex-mods is specifically about linear progression and excessive grinding.
GregTech, the spurned

Yes, I love this. The same community that shoved greg out of it's packs is embracing a whole new level of grinding.

and I agree with your point about ATLauncher and Technic, but those don't see as many eyeballs. I don't care about the end user, I care about seeing new concepts in mods brought to the forefront. The closest thing that does that right now is the What's new thread.

So screw the enduser, we will be fine. I want to see more innovation.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
GregTech, the spurned

Yes, I love this. The same community that shoved greg out of it's packs is embracing a whole new level of grinding.
Because its new and fun. And "new" frequently equals fun, so for many, that makes it even more fun.

It also gives a bunch of people a common ground to compare stories. The hqm-pack threads are immense.

Its not really a mystery. (disclaimer: as per my signature, I'm currently dividing my time between an hqm pack and...gulp...a heavy GT pack)

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Because its new and fun. And "new" frequently equals fun, so for many, that makes it even more fun.

It also gives a bunch of people a common ground to compare stories. The hqm-pack threads are immense.

Its not really a mystery. (disclaimer: as per my signature, I'm currently dividing my time between an hqm pack and...gulp...a heavy GT pack)

Yes, nobody is debating whether or not those packs are fun or not. They are. For a time. Then as I said before, Once you complete the HQM content they just become minecraft but with more things getting in your way.

short lived packs like that aren't preferential for SMP servers. unless you like a revolving door of players.

Reactions: RedBoss

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yes, nobody is debating whether or not those packs are fun or not. They are. For a time. Then as I said before, Once you complete the HQM content they just become minecraft but with more things getting in your way.

short lived packs like that aren't preferential for SMP servers. unless you like a revolving door of players.
Good points.

They're actually pretty anti-minecraft in that sense, but they fill a specific niche that sometimes people want to make use of.

Its like playing a "scenario" game of Civilization instead of a random world map or something.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Good points.

They're actually pretty anti-minecraft in that sense, but they fill a specific niche that sometimes people want to make use of.

Its like playing a "scenario" game of Civilization instead of a random world map or something.
They are, it's a niche that needs to be filled, but imo they seem to think that their only role is the HQM focused packs.

The FTB team has said a million times that it takes a lot more work than just throwing mods into a folder to make a modpack and fixing id's, and yet here they are, telling us to sod off and do just that because they want to pursue crazy theme ideas.

But that's ok! it's 1.7, there are no more itemid's, so it's cool now right? On to the theme packs!

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The FTB team has said a million times that it takes a lot more work than just throwing mods into a folder to make a modpack and fixing id's, and yet here they are, telling us to sod off and do just that because they want to pursue crazy theme ideas.
Can you explain that? I'm not following the right threads and I don't know what you mean.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with your point about ATLauncher and Technic, but those don't see as many eyeballs.
2.8 million downloads of the ATLauncher begs to differ with you. http://www.atlauncher.com/stats/

30 people alone have played the Yogscast complete pack for over 1200 hours combined. http://www.atlauncher.com/leaderboards/YogscastCompletePack/

And this is just the people who actively enable the Leaderboard within the launcher.

Debate the veracity of "unique downloads" but I don't see anyone else posting such data.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
2.8 million downloads of the ATLauncher begs to differ with you. http://www.atlauncher.com/stats/

30 people alone have played the Yogscast complete pack for over 1200 hours combined. http://www.atlauncher.com/leaderboards/YogscastCompletePack/

And this is just the people who actively enable the Leaderboard within the launcher.

Debate the veracity of "unique downloads" but I don't see anyone else posting such data.
Why shrink the (FTB) userbase even more, is my point

There's a reason people use yogscast complete. There is a niche for that type of pack, and it's a niche that they have made no secret about not having a desire of filling anymore.

@Pyure I can't be bothered to dig it up right now, it's been a few times in passing either jaded or eyamaz making comments to that effect, that "anybody can throw a bunch of mods into a folder and make it launch" and that it takes more work to make a modpack.

So their tack leaves apparently a large portion of the modded minecraft community left out, according to Red's numbers.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure I can't be bothered to dig it up right now, it's been a few times in passing either jaded or eyamaz making comments to that effect, that "anybody can throw a bunch of mods into a folder and make it launch" and that it takes more work to make a modpack.
Sorry, my bad!

I specifically wanted clarification on this:
telling us to sod off and do just that because they want to pursue crazy theme ideas.
I somehow misread it (in such a way that it just didn't make sense to me)

I am definitely aware that they've said they want to pursue focused packs. Personally I'm fine with that. I don't see any reason to have a Monster pack at all, particularly when the itemid era ends.

Basically, FTB tomorrow is going to be a lot like FTB today, but without Monster. Who cares, Monster packs are a dime a dozen.[DOUBLEPOST=1409085409][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit: I want to argue against myself for a sec here and say I don't see any real reason not to have a mess-of-junk pack, except insofar as maybe nobody feels like assembling one.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
particularly when the itemid era ends.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The ftb team has said a hundred times that there is more to making a modpack than fixing item id's, so who cares if the itemid era is ending? What does it change? It places one piece of the puzzle for you, and now you've still got all the rest of the crap on the table to figure out, like oregen, and configs, and other crap.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The ftb team has said a hundred times that there is more to making a modpack than fixing item id's, so who cares if the itemid era is ending? What does it change? It places one piece of the puzzle for you, and now you've still got all the rest of the crap on the table to figure out, like oregen, and configs, and other crap.
If you assume itemids took up 15% of their time, that's 15% more time they can devote to something else.

There's only so much you can do with oregen and configs, and that leaves the "other crap", which is going to encompass "theme."

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
iirc, the FTB team has stated that they will still make at least one "all the mods" pack. [Citation Needed]

Reactions: SynfulChaot

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery

Someone really should do a HQM pack centered around GT. I want to get into the mod, I just don't have any idea how/am too lazy to do proper research.
There's probably one of these out already, isn't?

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario