The Chronicles of a FTB Neophyte

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome to my Adventures as a FTB noob! I am very new with modding in general and I have really no clue what I'm doing. I scrape along the bottom of the tank trying to make sense of this dark and twisted world. However, I'm hoping that with this journal and your help I can rise up and conquer the these monstrous seas. Throughout this Journal I will be posting the progress of my world and I will be relying on you to tell me what I've done wrong, what I can do better or if i'm just a total ignoramus.

TL;DR I want you to teach me how to not be a modded minecraft noob.

Let's start off with my beautiful face and base.

0n5DXPY.png

That's my base on top of a volcano. Right now, as you can see, it's really nothing special.

ajbQA6G.png

A bit closer. I have my basic Tinker's construct smeltery, tables and pattern chest. The basic thaumcraft workbench, crucible, the works. A few chests, furnaces, wheat and cacti farms.

Qqtvq9t.png

This is my normal inventory.

ckBRsX6.png

This is my IC2 setup. It consistes of a geothermal generator, a batbox a metal former and a macerator. This is probably where I will be needing the most help.

CDaULzn.png

My goodies chest. The only one I keep organized. The others are not really worth looking at.

Cme2Sjz.png

My bee stuff. I am following generikb's Beecademy to learn the bees and the bees.

Jh2JePC.png

My base from my bees.

NnFWccG.png

Aerial view. You can see the river in between the volcano and the crag.

Screenshots from around my base

AmhtFEg.png

gZUeoqY.png

01OH6Ga.png

VwzZq12.png

My to do list is

Make a REAL base.
Automate my mining.
Get cool Bees, Thaumcraft stuff, Blood magic stuff, Machines (IC2, BC, etc.)

This list will expand when I know more things I want.

The problem is, I have no idea how to do a lot of this stuff, but that's what you're here for! As said before, please leave comments and more importantly, criticisms of my work. Anything goes.

My main focus right now is automating my mining, whether it be with the quarry or miners or turtles or what have you. If you could post your automining techniques, guides, or ideas that would be fantasic!

I hope to update this at least twice a week. Becoming less and less noobier each one. My goal is to entertain you while becoming better at modded minecraft. If I can't do that, I at least hope I can humor you.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
For your mining I strongly suggest making a [stable] Mystcraft age and going one of two routes depending on your preference -
QuarryPlus - You'll need to get deep into BuildCraft to build these. Powerable via RF, but need to be moved when they finish.
Boring machine - You'll need to invest fairly deep into RotaryCraft for these to be effective. Needs a ton of shaft power, but you can fire+forget once they get going.
There are other pros+cons to each, it's really up to you to decide where you want to invest your time+resources. Alternately, if you want compact and have tons of RF, just make a MFR laser drill. It's slower, but you won't need to worry about dirt/stone/gravel processing since it ONLY provides ores, so can be faster overall depending on circumstances.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Advice: Abandon IC2 all ye who enter here. :D

I personally like turtles for mining, but if you have any kind of lag issue, you'll want to avoid them, since I find they tend to 'took to long to respond' and crash while mining.

Reactions: Blazze909

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the comments.

Sounds like it might be awhile before I get some real automated mining going on. I defenatly want to get into mystcraft and that is probably what I'm going to work on next, along with the turtles to get me going. I had a little bit of time to play tonight and I tried working with the turtles a some, but to no avail. I need a good branch mining program that I can run. I will do some more research later tonight.

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I've made some interesting developments.

jHirNny.png

As you can see, that latest death waypoint in inside a pool of lava. I put my jetpack in the batbox to charge and desided to grab some more lava for my geothermal generator. When I right clicked the hang glider above the lava pool there was no jetpack to catch my fall.

sXjkfEL.png

This is what was retrieved.

Now I'm at a fork in the road. Before I died, I had been just flying around my volcano trying to come up with some inspiration. But the more I looked at it, the more I lost interest in the whole area.

I have two options now, Keep on trucking with this volcano world and see what happens or start anew. Right now I'm kinda leaning towards starting from scratch and doing it right. Leave your input on this, I'm going to play some Blitz to clear my head.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I'd say start anew. As you say, you're getting burned out in your volcano biome (pun not intended), and a fresh start should help. Perhaps this time you might build a big fancy base?

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
My original plan was to build a big fancy base inside a volcano, but I can't seem to see the same things I saw when I first found it.

My username is Flame_Hazard, so I would like to have some sort of fire themed base.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
My original plan was to build a big fancy base inside a volcano, but I can't seem to see the same things I saw when I first found it.

My username is Flame_Hazard, so I would like to have some sort of fire themed base.
Perhaps one inside a burning crater, left by a nuke?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Don't like the volcano you have? Build your own. Use a quarry or mining turtles to harvest the blocks from a volcano, and build the kind of volcano you want.

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure I can make a nuke in my current situation.

I already tried building my own mountain in my vanilla single player. I started in January 2013, I haven't finished...

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but vanilla lacks the filler. Just place down the outside and feed blocks into it.

That's a good point, but not really something I'd want to do.

I am look for a good seed to start off with and I've heard nice things about ATG, but I keep spawning in a tropical forest every time I generate a world. If y'all have a really nice seed you would like to share, that would be awesome.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Strange thing is to try incredibly low numbers. Like 7.

If you happen to find a mountain you like, but it's not in the right place, MFFS can duplicate it in another place, and out of any block you like.

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, time for another update.

I decided to make a brand new world and I am very pleased with what I found. I tried to find the perfect seed to start in, but after at least an hour of searching I found nothing I really liked. So I just made a survival world and said I would go with whatever I got.

coH7tel.png

sAwOy3n.png

You spawn in a pine forest surrounded by water. Not very big, but if you go straight, you get to an island oasis.
H9P9XhQ.png

I thought it looked pulchritudinous. So I decided to make the ultimate island paradise resort. I haven't made too much progress so far and I forgot to take pictures of a lot of it,but here is what I did get.
wqtCIGJ.png

Exploring the area around the island. That flower forest place is around 300 blocks by sea from spawn.
nhpjfAM.png

I ended up lost about 1000 blocks from spawn with no idea where I was. I searched around 0,0 but I kept going in circles. So I put my stuff in a chest and killed myself. Then I made a waypoint at spawn and followed the latest death point back to my stuff. I lost about 30 levels, but I haven't found any diamonds to make an enchanting table yet so didn't really matter.

LEWC7AK.png

This is my fail at a beach bar. I wanted an iron golem and some brewing stands, but I haven't found any pumpkins or gone to the nether yet. This will be torn down and rebuilt bigger and better later.

I have some other things in the works that I'm not ready to share yet. More updates to come!

World download (1) Hazard's_Neophyte_World

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Blood magic quarrying is fairly awesome :) can do up too 64x64 with a diamond block and silk touch or fortune 3 :) and only takes the ores!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
And if you run out of Ores, you can call a meteor down on your head for more. Though that might be in a newer version of minecraft. I've not gotten very far in Blood Magic yet.

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry it's been awhile, I have been busy both IRL and FTB!

So what does every island oasis tourist island need? A fancy restaurant!
The restaurant will just be an all around starter base. As you can see I have thaumcraft, tinker's construct and storage all in this one place. I am hoping to move my stuff here soon.
ZmLo0i0.png

Work in progress pictures.

GHVHfMN.png

94kcuC4.png

My thaumcraft stuff junk.

V4vDCtp.png

9Rfxmm5.png

xJ3ETmN.png

My infinite food source.

Eakb13N.png

Tinkers construct junk.

YaA01cU.png

A nice shelving system.

MAm1J0d.png

yJFPCy0.png

My new tools.

1owYvIF.png

Finally got enough wool to finish the seats. I will put some booths or something to fill the rest of the main room.

Unfortunately I have not done much more work on this restaurant because...

I have been addicted to blood magic!

The first time I searched for blood magic, I couldn't find it. Then I realized I didn't have it enabled in the pack. So I enabled it and jumped right in!

3YCLerW.png

0BVl1n2.png

AKcM7Rx.png

RXF6yD6.png

And... the mistake every blood magic noob does...

eqBKFwN.png

So I went to the nether and found... absolutely zot. No mobs at all. I needed a ghast tear for the air sigil from blood magic so having no nether mobs was a problem. I though it was something with lycanites mobs, I enabled it when I enabled blood magic. I disabled it and still nothing. So if you guys know why no mobs are spawning in the nether, please tell me!

I had to cheat.
rWSDVei.png

fWg1aZw.png

gSrYxFS.png

For now I am going to keep my blood magic plans secret, but if you can give me suggestions, that would be great.

As always, tell me what I've done wrong, done right and been a total simpleton about!