Good, but overlooked 1.7.10 mods?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Does Rotatable Blocks have mod support? Could I crash a server by trying to rotate a multi-block? :p
rotatable blocks would say,
azhi1.jpg

(because memegenerators.)

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
It's hard to call any mod overlooked when we are still at least 1 more round of mod releases & bug-fixes away from seeing any serious public modpacks for 1.7.10. With a dev build of Big Reactors out, my must-have list is nearly complete, but I'm having problems with FML not recognizing code chicken core using MultiMC, so I'm still waiting for a stable FTB pack I can modify before I can start a 1.7.10 world.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Was there any changes to Mekanism's cardboard boxes? I find that I can't grab spawners now. (1.7.10 V7)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Was there any changes to Mekanism's cardboard boxes? I find that I can't grab spawners now. (1.7.10 V7)
I've noticed in the console log that some entries are automatically being added to the cardboard box blacklist. Might be spawners.

It's hard to call any mod overlooked when we are still at least 1 more round of mod releases & bug-fixes away from seeing any serious public modpacks for 1.7.10. With a dev build of Big Reactors out, my must-have list is nearly complete, but I'm having problems with FML not recognizing code chicken core using MultiMC, so I'm still waiting for a stable FTB pack I can modify before I can start a 1.7.10 world.
Why not just use Mojangs launcher? That's all I've been using since they added profiles

Reactions: RedBoss

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It's a bigger pain than MultiMC and (understandably) lacks several of the nice features present in MultiMC.
Really? I've used it with ease. What's a pain about it and what features does it lack that MultiMC offers?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Really? I've used it with ease. What's a pain about it and what features does it lack that MultiMC offers?

MultiMC makes it easier to use mods due to the ability to automatically add Forge, as well as access JVM arguments, both the mods and configs folder with a single click, and it will display any logs present without having to go hunting through folders. For vMC it's overkill, but for modded it's nice to have. I also get a 15 or so FPS boost when using it for whatever reason.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
MultiMC makes it easier to use mods due to the ability to automatically add Forge, as well as access JVM arguments, both the mods and configs folder with a single click, and it will display any logs present without having to go hunting through folders. For vMC it's overkill, but for modded it's nice to have. I also get a 15 or so FPS boost when using it for whatever reason.
Well, I suppose that is a benefit for people who haven't really learnt how to use Windows Explorer (cough, file manager) on windows based systems. I used MultiMC before profiles were introduced, but for myself now, I see no advantage of one over the other. FPS increase is interesting though.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I suppose that is a benefit for people who haven't really learnt how to use Windows Explorer (cough, file manager) on windows based systems. I used MultiMC before profiles were introduced, but for myself now, I see no advantage of one over the other. FPS increase is interesting though.
I just recently switched from the vanilla launcher to MultiMC, and I won't be going back. The ease of use, the more polished GUi (As in, has any amount of polish), it's just simpler to use. I can switch from my 1.6.4 server pack to my 1.7.10 SP instance to the beginnings of my 1.7.10 modpack with a click, instead of some navigating and renaming folders (or using a batch file to do this)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I just recently switched from the vanilla launcher to MultiMC, and I won't be going back. The ease of use, the more polished GUi (As in, has any amount of polish), it's just simpler to use. I can switch from my 1.6.4 server pack to my 1.7.10 SP instance to the beginnings of my 1.7.10 modpack with a click, instead of some navigating and renaming folders (or using a batch file to do this)
Err, so can I. I just change my profile. You make a new profile for each instance/pack you require. There's zero need to rename any folders.
I do agree though the vanilla launcher could do with some more polish, but then, this is Mojang we are talking about, polish comes from 3rd parties... :D

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Err, so can I. I just change my profile. You make a new profile for each instance/pack you require. There's zero need to rename any folders.
I do agree though the vanilla launcher could do with some more polish, but then, this is Mojang we are talking about, polish comes from 3rd parties... :D
I'm sorry, forgot about the launcher being able to change directories. However, you are completely missing the point here. They can do most of the same things, but MultiMC makes my life easier on a better looking GUI. You dont' need to leave MultiMC to do.. anything but configs really. And it's generally less clicks and typing. As a person with 3 monitors, I don't see the point of using the vanilla launcher anymore. I don't have enough visual space to play with the vanilla launcher anymore. (I honestly can't imagine how people with one monitor do it :O ) At the end of the day, I guess it's just preference.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
MultiMC is easier to me when updating mods. I've done enough folder shuffling to dread it during updating individual mods. Its also easier for me to manage separate instances versus profiles in the vanilla launcher. And as previously mentioned, it makes managing and updating Forge extremely easy. I still have to use Win Explorer, just not as much versus vMC.

So to stay on topic, MultiMC isn't a mod per se, but I think it gets over looked.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
I think RandomThings is a bit overlooked too. Many may know it of the faster leaves decay, but just as cool feature is Player interface block, which acts kind of enderchest with its inventory being linked from any real player.

Secondly, Mekanism is propably the machine mod for ore processing at present. None other provide a hugely complex construction challenge for 5x ores, but totally worth it.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I think RandomThings is a bit overlooked too. Many may know it of the faster leaves decay, but just as cool feature is Player interface block, which acts kind of enderchest with its inventory being linked from any real player.
I think the only things I really like in RT are the fast leaf decay and the fertile dirt. Although the fertile dirt is moderately broken in 1.7, so I'll just stick to my machines that can fertilize stuff :p
Secondly, Mekanism is propably the machine mod for ore processing at present. None other provide a hugely complex construction challenge for 5x ores, but totally worth it.
Huh. It's been "the" machine mod for me for a while, like, since the early days of 1.5.2.

Dolu

Jul 29, 2019
And Mekanism and BuildCraft and Thermal Expansion and IC2 Experimental?
They all simulate with simplified energy transfer. That is very similar to packet based simulation.

The only other simulation that was near "electricity" is RP2, RP2 using node balancing. this simulation method has the disadvantage that cables store lot of energy, and when you shut down power, the energy remining in cable is enough to provide power to connected system a long time.

Electrical age use Modified Nodal Analysis (MNA) simulation methode that is alow to simulate like in real life electrical network. For example in electrical age you can do that : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck–boost_converter

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Why not just use Mojangs launcher? That's all I've been using since they added profiles

In more recent updates to the Mac OS, Apple stopped including it's own version of Java. 3rd party Java is stored in a different directory from where Apple's version used to be, but some 3rd party applications that use Java still look for it in the old place. I can't just double click minecraft to run it any more. I can configure MultiMC to look for Java in the right place.

But I'm sure my problem isn't with MultiMC, but with incompatible mod versions that I just don't have the desire to spend several hours troubleshooting, especially when we're in the stage where most of the mods will be seeing several bug fixes in a week. When FTB releases a supported public pack, I will know the mods are ready. In the meantime, I'm taking a bit of a break.