Applied Energistics 2 Power options.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So, I have a premise that is somewhat bizarre on the surface. I want AE2 (well, id prefer AE1 but this is a 1.7.2 pack, so...) in a pack that otherwise has little to no tech content. Its inventory management is just that good.

So, that leaves me casting about for an AE2 compatible power system that can provide passive power, or power that doesn't rely on the traditional infinite resources via automated farms / quarries.

Until now I have been using EnderIO but it is increasingly clear that this mod is trying to be ... more.

Now, I could setup a Thaumcraft golem tree farm and directly supply charcoal to the AE2 vibration chamber, but thats just a tech tree farm in another guise.

Oxygene

Jul 29, 2019
You could install engineers toolkit and use only the water power. Thsts my starting power these days on a lot of packs. Its completely passive abd provides a decent amount of power for just a storage network and has the added level that you have to live around a river

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism has hydrogen generators that are about as passive as you can possibly get. Make a few and stick them in the wall and forget about them except for the nice hum.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism has hydrogen generators that are about as passive as you can possibly get. Make a few and stick them in the wall and forget about them except for the nice hum.

Mekanism is what looks to be a totally awesome mod that I desperately need to try out. However, in the context of "adds as little tech as possible other than power" it seems to ... overreach a bit.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Reactions: RedBoss

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
For small networks i often make efford to use Radioisotope Generators from IC2 experimental. But only beacuase i rarely bother setting up consistent power networks and instead generate it when i need it.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you want techless storage management, then ae is not the thing what you are looking for. If you try to add as low tech as possuble, then maybe project red mechanical is the thing what you could use. AE probably not fits into that pack.

Eleganten

Jul 29, 2019
You could add a tech mod and disable the machines you don't want to use?
Sent from my RM-821_eu_denmark_251 using Tapatalk

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
Forgecraft 2 has Direwolf20 using blood magic to power his. Seems to be working well. Eventually he did have to add in a generator running on ender lilly seeds.

A very few ender lilly plants on core blocks produce quite a bit of power.

he uses blood magic to power lava generators. I'm not sure if ae2 is capable of running on lava all alone.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
ExtraUtils has some good generators and doesn't dump a whole lot of tech on you. It's the generators that DW20 is using on the new forgecraft. My only problem with them is that they won't stop consuming resources when the power buffer is full.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Huh. I hope not! I've always been a fan of the hydrogen generators. Not sure how they're intended to work without the separators.
They're gone now. I know, they were my favorite generator as well. The new system uses Bio-Fuel and Hydrogen to make Ethylene to produce more power. There's talk of a multi-block that can produce even more that runs on ethylene in the upcoming planned production.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
They're gone now. I know, they were my favorite generator as well. The new system uses Bio-Fuel and Hydrogen to make Ethylene to produce more power. There's talk of a multi-block that can produce even more that runs on ethylene in the upcoming planned production.
I am sure there is an appropriate gif to express my heartcrushing despair at this news, but I am too devastated to look.

no...really.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I am sure there is an appropriate gif to express my heartcrushing despair at this news, but I am too devastated to look.

no...really.
If I'm doing the math correctly, the new system is actually a viable large-scale energy production system. The multiblock turbine is a bit finicky, and horribly easy to grief if you have a troll on your server, but the power output is kind of like BigReactors Lite. You could *almost* power a single Electrolytic Separator off of one. Almost.

Frontrider

Jul 29, 2019
He started with the lava stone, powering the vibration generator.

Thats from railcraft i belive,(Not sure, i think ticon has something like that too)

I said all alone,only by itself :D.

So, I have a premise that is somewhat bizarre on the surface. I want AE2 (well, id prefer AE1 but this is a 1.7.2 pack, so...) in a pack that otherwise has little to no tech content. Its inventory management is just that good.

So, that leaves me casting about for an AE2 compatible power system that can provide passive power, or power that doesn't rely on the traditional infinite resources via automated farms / quarries.

Until now I have been using EnderIO but it is increasingly clear that this mod is trying to be ... more.

Now, I could setup a Thaumcraft golem tree farm and directly supply charcoal to the AE2 vibration chamber, but thats just a tech tree farm in another guise.

Back to the topic. I don't think a relyable ae system can survive whitout any other tech mod around, since this system is made to support other tech mods storage needs.

Still, i would suggest project red mechanical (haven't played around with too mutch, but since its does not uses power it could work out well, i think its out for 1.7 ), refined relocation (i just heared about it, and i think updated too) alongside barrels/ iron chests. If you want to be low on tech content but you need something to sort your items ae is not the best, since you will need a lot of power to run it.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
AE offers:
* Massive, indexed, storage. This is quite worthwhile in its own right.
* Spatial Storage. Don't know if the power requirements of this can realistically be met, and what practical use it has is also a question.
* Auto-Crafting. Not that useful without tech mods with massively deep crafting trees.
* The ability to link remote AE networks via quantum links. Power and chunkloading requirements that would be difficult to meet.

Even if only #1 is available, the AE system is worth it. And that can be maintained with a low on-going maintenance power requirement. At the very least, a Thaumcraft golem driven tree farm producing charcoal fed into AE Vibration Chambers can keep an AE storage system up and running with no other tech mods at all. But it does seem a bit disingenuous to claim "no tree farms" and then build a tree farm.

If I can get enough power to link remote networks, and/or get some use out of spatial storage that would be nice too.

But, believe me, even without those, AE is useful to "builders" even in low-tech packs, just because of the ease of storing and accessing decorative blocks and items.