Need Help with Charging MFE and MFSU

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

whiteknight_ZA

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I am hoping i will get some help here, i am quite a newbie (read mega noob)

i am playing direwolf20 1.6.4 modpack and im having trouble charging MFE's and MFSU's
i have tried using geothermal generators but they charge the units so slowly its not worth using.

i was looking for a way to charge the MFE, etc. using RF or MJ.
i tried hooking up the mfe's to a bank of combustion engines running on fuel, with a transfer node on the end to connect the MFE/SU, but it doesnt seem to charge the units, but they charge redstone energy cells quite quickly

any suggestions will be appreciated
Thanks

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
You cant directly transform RF to EU (the ic2 energy unit). I had great success powering semifluid generators with buildcraft fuel though. And of course theres always coal. Before semifluid generators were a thing, I would build a couple railcraft coke ovens early on and add hoppers on top, and automatically extract the coal coke into a barrel. Coal coke is 4x as good as regular coal. IC2 generators seem to burn it really slow too, lasts forever.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You cant directly transform RF to EU (the ic2 energy unit). I had great success powering semifluid generators with buildcraft fuel though. And of course theres always coal. Before semifluid generators were a thing, I would build a couple railcraft coke ovens early on and add hoppers on top, and automatically extract the coal coke into a barrel. Coal coke is 4x as good as regular coal. IC2 generators seem to burn it really slow too, lasts forever.
You can transform RF to EU directly, but not with pure DW20. Engineer's Toolbox has an EU adapter. I installed that mod on my DW20 world and it works perfectly.

@whiteknight:
Charging an MFS unit will take some time even with good power generation and lossless conversion. Power conversion rate between RF and EU is ...hmm 2 MJ = 20 RF = 5 EU I think it was, which means that an MFSU can store the equivalent of 160 MRF or slightly more than three resonant energy cells.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hi,

I am hoping i will get some help here, i am quite a newbie (read mega noob)

i am playing direwolf20 1.6.4 modpack and im having trouble charging MFE's and MFSU's
i have tried using geothermal generators but they charge the units so slowly its not worth using.

i was looking for a way to charge the MFE, etc. using RF or MJ.
i tried hooking up the mfe's to a bank of combustion engines running on fuel, with a transfer node on the end to connect the MFE/SU, but it doesnt seem to charge the units, but they charge redstone energy cells quite quickly

any suggestions will be appreciated
Thanks
Why exactly do you NEED to fill up the MFE/MFSUs? Their main function is just to store whatever energy you don't immediately consume for later use. They don't have to be full. Design your power production system after your power consumption.

And tbh I have never had issues filling up MFE/MFSUs with Geothermals etc. A bank of 26 Geothermals fit nicely with a IC2E MFE: 512EU/t.

whiteknight_ZA

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the input, ill have to make more geothermals...

Why exactly do you NEED to fill up the MFE/MFSUs?

:D i don't NEED it, i just made them to see how they work, how else will i know what to do/not to do

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for the input, ill have to make more geothermals...
You can also combine a few geothermals with some solar panels/arrays, wind mills(compact ones if you have the mod), nuclear reactors etc.

You don't have to make it all geothermals. Can be more fun to diversify a bit ;)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Since I only really use MFE/MFSUs for charging my powersuit, two coal generators on each side of it is a nice compact, pipe/wire free way of getting what I want from them.