PermSize issues

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RandalllFlagg

Jul 29, 2019
Is anyone else getting this launcher bug?

Logging in...
Beginning authlib authentication attempt
successfully created YggdrasilAuthenticationService
Login complete.
Checking local assets file, for MC version1.6.4 Please wait!
Setting up native libraries for Monster v 1.1.2 MC 1.6.4
Syncing Assets:
Java Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre8\bin\javaw.exe
Pack: Monster 1.6.4
Setting MinMemory to 256
Setting MaxMemory to 2304
Defaulting PermSize to 256m
Adding Optimization Arguments
_JAVA_OPTIONS defined: -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
Jul 20, 2014 7:34:59 PM net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LogWrapper log
INFO: Loading tweak class name cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
Jul 20, 2014 7:35:00 PM net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LogWrapper log
INFO: Using primary tweak class name cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
Jul 20, 2014 7:35:00 PM net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LogWrapper log
INFO: Calling tweak class cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLTweaker
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option PermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0
my brother is also getting this issue

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You're running Java 8, and the log says that support for the argument was removed in Java 8.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Remove PermSize from your java arguments.
I tried that using Java 8 and it still throws errors. Removing Java 8 and going with Java 7 is the best solution. Trust me, I looked quite a bit and sat in more than one irc channel for help.

Reactions: Padfoote

Goatflakes

Jul 29, 2019
This isn't a problem with Java 8 it is a problem with the new launcher and has only been happening since FTB launcher was updated to the first version that had tabs for FTB official packs and 3rd party packs.

This is particularly annoying because Java 8 runs the more demanding packs a lot better than Java 7. I felt like I dropped back to my crappy old laptop when I had to go back to Java 7 instead of the beast of a computer I bought recently ._.

The cause of this error is likely the following: FTB Launcher always sets the permanent generation size to 256m. But in Java 8 garbage collection and memory management work differently, and that option has been removed. So when the Java 8 JVM gets the option for it, it puts out a warning. Now this wasn't a problem before, it was simply ignored. But now it seems that the FTB launcher is treating it as serious error and aborting Minecraft when it sees it. See this
[pastebin][1] of the error log.

It would be nice if FTB Launcher would stop treating warnings as fatal, even better if it checked the Java versions and set the memory management options accordingly.

[1]: http://pastebin.com/9LevRCTB

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Do people actually use the FTB launcher? I always download the modpack server version and plug that into my forged "vanilla" install. Far more reliable, tweakable and allows offline play.

Reactions: Vasa and RedBoss

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Do people actually use the FTB launcher? I always download the modpack server version and plug that into my forged "vanilla" install. Far more reliable, tweakable and allows offline play.
I might do if I knew what you were talking about regaring that "forged vanilla install". I use the launcher because I don't have to deal with technical issues so much that way.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Technical issues?
Modding minecraft now has become two, really simple, steps:
1. Dowload and run minecraft at least once.
2. Download and run forge-installer.xxx.jar

Ok. There is a 3rd step. Copy some mods into the ~/.minecraft/mods folder

FTB and/or MultiMC could do themselves a favor by wrapping this process in a friendly UI, but sticking to this process so that the vanilla launcher could be used to launch FTB packs via profile.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Technical issues?
Modding minecraft now has become two, really simple, steps:
1. Dowload and run minecraft at least once.
2. Download and run forge-installer.xxx.jar

Ok. There is a 3rd step. Copy some mods into the ~/.minecraft/mods folder

FTB and/or MultiMC could do themselves a favor by wrapping this process in a friendly UI, but sticking to this process so that the vanilla launcher could be used to launch FTB packs via profile.
That's for the current version. When I left Minecraft in the beta days, I always had problems getting an "outdated" version of Minecraft. That's mainly why I use the FTB launcher - it automatically installs the MC version a specific pack needs. Has that changed? Is there any easy way to install, say, MC 1.6.4 on a new system? One that doesn't require searching the net for specific versions and fiddling with the MC folder?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That's for the current version. When I left Minecraft in the beta days, I always had problems getting an "outdated" version of Minecraft. That's mainly why I use the FTB launcher - it automatically installs the MC version a specific pack needs. Has that changed? Is there any easy way to install, say, MC 1.6.4 on a new system? One that doesn't require searching the net for specific versions and fiddling with the MC folder?

The vanilla launcher now manages a list of "profiles" - creating a default profile for you.
If you want to change the version of MC you use (and swap between modded and not) you simply edit the profile (via the Edit Profile...) button, and choose the version of MC you want from a box.
To run different versions of forged and non forged minecraft in parallel simply create additional profiles. Each profile can, additionally, be pointed at its own base folder, to keep the mods for each separate.

So yes, I am using the vanilla launcher to "host" my 1.64 Monster and AgS packs, my 1.7.2 custom "Unstable" pack, a vanilla 1.7.10 AND a bleeding edge vanilla that tracks the latest snapshot.

Shabazza

Jul 29, 2019
There is no reason to use Java 8 yet. It's still not final and not released for the broad public. And it's not officially supported by Minecraft nor by FTB/Forge.
So better stick with Java 7.
Alot of things have changed in Java 8. So it's highly likely that Java 6 and 7 applications will break at some point when using Java 8.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I tried that using Java 8 and it still throws errors. Removing Java 8 and going with Java 7 is the best solution. Trust me, I looked quite a bit and sat in more than one irc channel for help.
This isn't a problem with Java 8 it is a problem with the new launcher and has only been happening since FTB launcher was updated to the first version that had tabs for FTB official packs and 3rd party packs.

This is particularly annoying because Java 8 runs the more demanding packs a lot better than Java 7. I felt like I dropped back to my crappy old laptop when I had to go back to Java 7 instead of the beast of a computer I bought recently ._.

The cause of this error is likely the following: FTB Launcher always sets the permanent generation size to 256m. But in Java 8 garbage collection and memory management work differently, and that option has been removed. So when the Java 8 JVM gets the option for it, it puts out a warning. Now this wasn't a problem before, it was simply ignored. But now it seems that the FTB launcher is treating it as serious error and aborting Minecraft when it sees it. See this
[pastebin][1] of the error log.

It would be nice if FTB Launcher would stop treating warnings as fatal, even better if it checked the Java versions and set the memory management options accordingly.

[1]: http://pastebin.com/9LevRCTB

Did you 2 possibly have the advanced java arguments checked in the launcher?

If it's not that, they fixed the issue. It runs fine on Java 8 Update 11 with the current FTB Launcher.

There is no reason to use Java 8 yet. It's still not final and not released for the broad public. And it's not officially supported by Minecraft nor by FTB/Forge.
So better stick with Java 7.
Alot of things have changed in Java 8. So it's highly likely that Java 6 and 7 applications will break at some point when using Java 8.

It was released in March, and has actually had 2 public updates since then. The current version is Java 8 SE Update 11.

I partially agree with the rest though. It should be used with caution because it isn't the targeted version for MC. However, it's also much newer with potential improvements, including a number of security fixes.

Each person should weigh these things individually, and decide if it's worth trying for them. If you're not computer literate at all, I wholly agree it's probably best to stick to the tried and true Java 7 Update 65 ( This is even the current version that Java.com will send you to. ) If you're at all computer literate, trying out a different version of Java is quite trivial. It's as easy to install and uninstall as video drivers.