Should I use Biomes o' Plenty?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
There are many slopes now... but that's a good thing!

For instance mountains aren't just a sudden vertical rock anymore. You have highlands and lowlands. I just walked a new player through setting up a home in a praire that was at Y 170 yesterday. All his windmills would be above the minimum height by default!

There are slopes, but also flat land. What is really nice is slopes cross biomes instead of ending at the border.

My current base is 9x9 chunks and perfectly flat. Only minimal cleanup was required, we didn't have to dig through more than 5 blocks max to get it flat.

Reactions: Tylor

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Biomes O' Plenty offers a new dimension, amazing new biomes, more mobs and some great features.
Go with BoP, since it also has compatibility with most other mods.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Biomes O' Plenty offers a new dimension, amazing new biomes, more mobs and some great features.
Go with BoP, since it also has compatibility with most other mods.
Beware: said dimension was removed in 1.7.X!! IIRC, that is...
But I either choose BoP only, or add ATG. I'm thinking I'll do ATG for 1.7, as there aren't many laggish mods out yet.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Beware: said dimension was removed in 1.7.X!! IIRC, that is...
But I either choose BoP only, or add ATG. I'm thinking I'll do ATG for 1.7, as there aren't many laggish mods out yet.
Playing 1.7:
NEI shows the sceptere stuff and amethyst tools. I didn't try to go to the dimension, but by the looks of it, it's still there.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
To my knowledge ATG doesn't add biomes, it just changes how the terrain is generated (height, water, etc). That it understand BoP is a major plus!

We wouldn't miss the Promised Land dimension so that's not an issue.

One thing I have kept in mind for our next map generation is that Reika has a mod to allow you to change the frequency of caves and ravines. I may significantly lower the chances of both and see how it goes.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Playing 1.7:
NEI shows the sceptere stuff and amethyst tools. I didn't try to go to the dimension, but by the looks of it, it's still there.
Code:
Build 1.7.2-2.0.0.718:
Adubbz: Removed the Promised Land, did a significant cleanup of the system for world gen features
Adubbz: Forgot to readd the workaround for the Already Decorating! nonsense
Adubbz: Merged changes from Forstride, fixed a nullpointer from left-in acacia references with Ore Dictionary registration
http://files.minecraftforge.net/mav...0/BiomesOPlenty-1.7.2-2.0.1.890-changelog.txt

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
To my knowledge ATG doesn't add biomes, it just changes how the terrain is generated (height, water, etc). That it understand BoP is a major plus!

We wouldn't miss the Promised Land dimension so that's not an issue.

One thing I have kept in mind for our next map generation is that Reika has a mod to allow you to change the frequency of caves and ravines. I may significantly lower the chances of both and see how it goes.
It adds one or two, mind you. Nothing major, unless you find the volcano biome. Then you see how cool a world can truly be! Also, it's a bad idea to disable TOO many cold biomes with ATG, because one has to go through them to locate the mountains that are actually volcanoes.[DOUBLEPOST=1403263389][/DOUBLEPOST]
I had no clue that ATG was capable of doing that. There's probably better fine tuning options than in vanilla 1.7. You've piqued my interests in ATG. That's something I would find very enjoyable.
One needs another mod for the world looping IIRC, but that is also shown by a lack of functions for that in the configs for it. That said, ATG is everything vanilla world gen wishes it was.

Reactions: RedBoss

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I believe you are exactly 6 months late with your assistance.

That being said, I won't use BoP without disabling every dead biome, most of the swamps, and most of the snow biomes. I never use them and they're ugly to me. No need to waste terrain gen
Trying to image a dead/wasteland biome that looks beautiful... By their nature they are supposed to be ugly hellholes :p

If BoP has removed it's dimension, I hope they also remove all their gems. Totally no point to having them (yes, you can craft tools from them, but that sort of thing doesn't belong in a biome mod and is just a direct rip of RP2 gems) apart from "ooo, shinies".

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to image a dead/wasteland biome that looks beautiful... By their nature they are supposed to be ugly hellholes :p
Not arguing that point. Wasting worldgen on an ugly, lifeless biome that I am not even going to quarry is wasteful. I'd rather not have it in my world at all.

I also disable those annoying, tiny spiders.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Not arguing that point. Wasting worldgen on an ugly, lifeless biome that I am not even going to quarry is wasteful. I'd rather not have it in my world at all.

I also disable those annoying, tiny spiders.
Jungle spiders or Natura heatscars?