Villager Breeding

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I looked online for a design to breed villagers, as I have a village I want to repopulate.

I've built a love shack, there are now 3 villagers trapped inside it, and a load of doors on the "roof", and the doors are also roofed.

But, love is definitely not in the air. Is there something I've done wrong?

VillagerBreeder.jpg

CreeperLover101

Jul 29, 2019
I had a town where i wanted more villagers, so I went in a house that no villagers never went in and basically made every block possible having a door. The next thing I know I have 50+ villagers stuck in a ravine not too far away, but they were considered "out of the village" so the "in the village" villagers kept making more babies.

**Solution down here if you're lazy or tired or whatever**

Basically, your villagers may be "out of town", or possibly you're shack is too small. Note that every door in town, adds 35% of a villager, so every 3 doors a villager will be born.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I should have roughly 10 villagers. The shack is big enough to hold at least 20 easily. I'll have to have an explore around.

QuantumPugilist

Jul 29, 2019
If I'm viewing the image correctly, all the doors on the inside of the tenement make the rest of the doors invalid doors. All my successful tenements have an air block immediately behind each door. It's also possible you need more doors, if the village is already well populated. The ratio of doors:villagers is around 3:1, so if you have 12 doors, you will have around 4 adult villagers. I've found natural villages with 10 villagers, but only 5 doors due to encroaching world gen (volcanos, sand shenanigans, etc), so 28 new doors would be required to get things going.

Doing something like a long house where each corner is a standard block, and each wall is doors, tends to lead to breeding like crazy.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I heard Jaded was working on the testing of that part of the forestry beta, you should ask her.

this message was brought to you by jaded "the troll" cat.
what I made is a 11x11x2 high building, and put doors on the outside. to be able to get in I also use 1 iron door on the inside that's opened by a button.
the reason why I only make it 2 high is to prevent iron golems from spawning inside. because zombies just love to knock on every friggin single door, so I have the iron golem to get them out.

do be careful though with the iron golem, if you start killing some villagers to have them breed again, the iron golem won't like it and start attacking you. I've died several times because of that son of a *(&$#*@(

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'll experiment with the doors. Could you put some screenshots of designs you've used successfully?

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Docm77 has a great infinite breeding cell that's compact and can be concealed easily. (
)

I'm fairly sure the mechanics still work as I had once in 1.4.2 that worked off same principles.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Once I put doors around the sides of the building, I started to get some breeding take place. I started dismantling it at 10 villagers, but having let them all free, I ended up with 13. One way to celebrate freedom :D

Nice design there by Docm

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Once I put doors around the sides of the building, I started to get some breeding take place. I started dismantling it at 10 villagers, but having let them all free, I ended up with 13. One way to celebrate freedom :D

Nice design there by Docm

yeah, love it.. but never built it (yet) but I got back to my base a weee bit late into the night and my village/base is now empty neigh but one villager who is stuck in a village glitch with a building 5 blocks above the ground (lol it had like 20) from just one zombie invasion.

I have a building set aside now that will host something like this just to repopulate the village (with a wireless controller / timer to keep ti running x minutes), and then I want to set up one to get back my apiarist trades and other useful things (villager filter)...

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
From my understanding doors only count if touched by sunlight and have air blocks on both sides as well as being attached to a enclosed space.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
Iirc from the howtotranslatewiki.php file, we should only translate the bold green items. Again, iirc, these bold greens items are plain text and item names but NOT the mod names.

I do agree with what someone else already mentioned in a different thread. It takes a bit of figuring ut how to correctly open the file: notepad++ > open file > run in IE (my usual browser Firefox wouldn't open and run the actual file somehow...).

Please do let me know if this is incorrect.

Bel*.