Ore Level Distribution

540howdy

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know all the ore level distribution?
I can make a text file if we can find all of them (unless it's been done)
for everyone to use

For both Modded and Vanilla
So far
Diamond: 11
Tin: 30 (?)

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
diamond 1-16
Iron 1-64
Coal 1-?? (seems to be anywhere)

as for the others, I have no idea, as I used to play with different tin/copper, but they seem to be at least 1-64 as you can usually find copper at cave entrance.

540howdy

Jul 29, 2019
diamond 1-16
Iron 1-64
Coal 1-?? (seems to be anywhere)

as for the others, I have no idea, as I used to play with different tin/copper, but they seem to be at least 1-64 as you can usually find copper at cave entrance.

Copper and Tin in the newer modpacks only have one form.. (And same with all the other ores) so they would only spawn in certain levels..

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, but I used to use the IC2 ones before FTB, and the copper was not spawning below 10...

What I said do apply to the newer versions of FTB packs (Mindcrack and DW20)
And I do often find copper near the ground level, but I can't remember finding it on cliff side, so 1-64 seems about right.
Tin might be a little lower, and silver is definitely lower 64, but everything seems to start at the very bottom.

If you really want the info, you could try to dig a 3x3 chuncks one layer at a time, and see where the first of each kind appears, it won't be perfect, but will be a good approximation for all the common ores.

All I wanted was to give you the information I had, if you answer like that, just do it yourself.

540howdy

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, but I used to use the IC2 ones before FTB, and the copper was not spawning below 10...

What I said do apply to the newer versions of FTB packs (Mindcrack and DW20)
And I do often find copper near the ground level, but I can't remember finding it on cliff side, so 1-64 seems about right.
Tin might be a little lower, and silver is definitely lower 64, but everything seems to start at the very bottom.

If you really want the info, you could try to dig a 3x3 chuncks one layer at a time, and see where the first of each kind appears, it won't be perfect, but will be a good approximation for all the common ores.

All I wanted was to give you the information I had, if you answer like that, just do it yourself.

Sorry :(
Thought you were talking about the older versions
What you said was very helpful though :D
Thanks

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla ores
Coal: below 132
Iron: below 68
Lapis: below 33
Gold: below 34
Redstone: below 17
Diamond: below 16
Emerald: below 33

Thermal Expansion ores (default ores)
Copper: between 75 and 40
Lead: between 40 and 20
Silver: between 35 and 15
Tin: between 50 and 25
Ferrous ore: Bottom 30 levels or so. Not entirely sure if it's even a TE ore

Gregtech
Bauxite: forest and plains biomes
Rubies: Deserts
Saphires:Oceans
Iridium: 1 ore in every 5 chunks(rare chance)
Cinnabar and Pyrite: Hell biomes
Tungstate, Olivine, Sodalite and Sheldonite: Asteroids in the End

Redpower gems: appears to be similar to iron

Traincraft
Oil sands: Near water sources in sand
Crude oil: anywhere, somewhat rare though

Thaumcraft ores: anywhere

Railcraft: Never found any railcraft ores

EDIT:
Redpwer Nikolite: Same as redstone

XYcraft: everywhere

540howdy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks @danidas and @Democretes
The info will help a lot in the modpack :D
I always had trouble finding tin.. this should help :p

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
After a day operating two turtles, I was coming back to say that copper, tin and others were not starting at 1, but I see people got way more acurate informations than I do.

It is definitely a great help (and should be included in the wiki as far as I am concerned), so thank you both for the great precision.

To add a little to the discussion, it seems like crude oil is not that rare, as mining out a 32x64 area net me no less than 6 stacks of it, but it might only be luck.

Anyway, it is good to see that mining out the 1-16 is no longer enough to get everything.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
From the above data I've come to the conclusion:

Lvl40: Copper, Iron, Lead, Tin, Apatite, Coal (You won't find any lead above lvl40)
Lvl26: Iron, Lead, Silver, Tin, Gold, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Apatite, Coal (No copper though)
Lvl11: Iron, Diamond, Gold, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Coal

I would like to know the spawn lvls for other resources like redstone, nikolite, xycraft ores, etc to make the suggested levels more accurate

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. I'm on my phone at work and just wondered. Don't know why I never noticed that but with Rei's installed I never really press f3 anymore.