Can you use ME cable to transfer items?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

XxSaRobz09xX

Jul 29, 2019
So I want to transfer items from my Electric furnace, to my ME interface that leads into my ME system. Can I use ME cable to transfer items around or will I need to use a different kind of cable? If I can use the cable, how?

Thanks!
(Sorry about spelling mistakes - Autocorrect)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
ME Cables are for your AE system, so technically. I mean, they don't really send items for one...
But yeah, they can, but you'll need a thing on the end to make it work. Depending on how big your AE network is(that is, if you have a MAC or not), it's a different thing you need IIRC.
And sadly, that's totally out of my knowledge base these days. Barely use AE anymore, since Logistics Pipes has gotten better then AE in my opinion. I mean, I use AE for storage still, it can't be beat at that IMO... but I don't use it for more more then that.
...In truth, there was a while when I really tried using AE for everything and considered it less useful then LP for anything other then being a awesome storage system, which made me sad, since LP isn't nearly as cool as AE. Still, AE is cooler, but then again, ThaumCraft beats everything for cool since sorting in it is done via golems. Even a sorting system based upon RailCraft is cooler, but not a cool as golems in my opinion, because you sure as hell can't put a fez and a bow-tie on a minecart and have it look as awesome as it does on a golem.

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on what you mean...

If you want to move whatever is in the output slot of the Electronic furnace into your AE storage, then use an "import bus" on the back/sides of the furnace.

If you on the other hand want to move the items into the interface itself its not possible.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on what you mean...

If you want to move whatever is in the output slot of the Electronic furnace into your AE storage, then use an "import bus" on the back/sides of the furnace.

If you on the other hand want to move the items into the interface itself its not possible.
Unless you use a export bus that is... Just need to configure what it'll take.
If you want to do so automatically, well, then it gets more complicated, and if you want to do it under specific circumstances, well, you may need a MAC. Maybe not. Ask someone who is better versed in AE them me. I would guess that @Jadedcat is since there isn't a trace of a non golem automation system in AgS(checking for lack of RailCraft, please hold) or MFR, nether of which I'd say are as easy to use as AE, albeit maybe cheaper...

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you use a export bus that is... Just need to configure what it'll take.
If you want to do so automatically, well, then it gets more complicated, and if you want to do it under specific circumstances, well, you may need a MAC. Maybe not. Ask someone who is better versed in AE them me. I would guess that @Jadedcat is since there isn't a trace of a non golem automation system in AgS(checking for lack of RailCraft, please hold) or MFR, nether of which I'd say are as easy to use as AE, albeit maybe cheaper...
Items in to the AE system: Import busses or using TE conduits to move them into an interface.
Items out of an AE system: Export busses or Interfaces set to export stuff.

Alternativly, if you want to craft for example charcoal by putting stuff into a furnace then just put an interface on the input face, wrench it so that the arrow is pointing towards the machine and input a patern saying that 1 piece of wood makes 1 piece of charcoal if you put it into this machine.

As for using AE to put stuff from an electric furnace (IC2, thus not AgS) into an interface is either MU due to not making sense or not possible.

Exporting whatever is in an electronic furnace's output slot into an interface isn't possible with AE. Add thermal expansion and you could use its pipes to extract from the electronic furnace and then input that into the interface that will then import it into the ME network.

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
An import bus has the same end result, though - the items end up in the AE network.
Yupps :) Does depend on what exactly the OP wants to do though,,, If he just wants to import it into an AE system, import busses or TE3 item conduits are the way to go. If he wants to do some other shenanegans he needs to use export busses and the like aswell. Or configure a few interfaces to export items.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yupps :) Does depend on what exactly the OP wants to do though,,, If he just wants to import it into an AE system, import busses or TE3 item conduits are the way to go. If he wants to do some other shenanegans he needs to use export busses and the like aswell. Or configure a few interfaces to export items.
According to the OP...
YX33A said:
No quote because first page. Seriously, why bother? Scroll up, man.
He wants to use his ME cables to send things to his furnace and from there to a ME accessible storage somewhere. So that's at least one import bus and at least one export bus.

Reactions: Albin_Xavier

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
Scenario: He's using the furnace as part of a crafting recepie, for example wood to charcoal. Then he should use an interface on top of the electronic furnace and then put an ejection upgrade into the electronic furnace (Preferably set to export to the block above).
Scenario: He's using the furnace as part of his ore processing system. Then he could use Itemducts to transfer from the furnace to the interface or he could use import buses. Or he could use an interface together with an ejection upgrade.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Scenario: He's using the furnace as part of a crafting recepie, for example wood to charcoal. Then he should use an interface on top of the electronic furnace and then put an ejection upgrade into the electronic furnace (Preferably set to export to the block above).
Scenario: He's using the furnace as part of his ore processing system. Then he could use Itemducts to transfer from the furnace to the interface or he could use import buses. Or he could use an interface together with an ejection upgrade.
He wants to use his ME Cables, so no itemducts, first off. Second, you present two vastly different problems, and they require vastly different solutions. First example, charcoal, lets say. Example one: Gonna need a MAC for this like it or not... unless you are okay with all logs being made into charcoal when they reach the ME Network. Then yeah, go nuts. Or control it via redstone, which is possible, but that's not quite the same thing, I guess, is it? One requires some pretty heavy know-how with and for AE to do, and the other is using the MAC at it's most basic level.
Second example: again, export bus taking your ores you want smelter(and tell it to export there; not exactly hard even for a casual AE user such as myself), and set up a import bus on the output to bring it back. No MAC needed unless you wish to hold onto unprocessed ores and don't have machines you can control via redstone, including your AE network(with the risk here being a system reboot when the state changes), and hey, totally possible. No MAC needed unless you are more casual then me and/or don't understand redstone.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
There is no simple answer because each mods machines behave differently in terms of automating input & output. The ME interface can accept items ejected from an adjacent inventory, but will not actively pull items out of an adjacent inventory. Also, it will only push items into an adjacent inventory with an auto-crafting pattern in the bottom row of spaces in the GUI. Setting the export config on the left slots will only tell the ME system to keep that # of items in the interface itself in the slots on the right. This was probably the most confusing thing about starting to learn the basics of AE.

To actively pull items, use an import bus: basic will pull everything 1 at a time, precision can be set to pull either 1 or a stack at a time & can be filtered to only pull certain items, fuzzy is like precision but can also be set to consider damage values.

To actively push items, use an export bus, same 3 types as the import bus.

To make things even more confusing, some of the blocks you want to interact with have sidedness. TE machines let you choose which sides are in & which are out, but they can't be both. IC2 machines all sides are in, & you can use an upgrade to choose which side to auto eject from, so you could use 1 interface to push crafting pattern recipes & accept the finished product. With a vanilla furnace, you pull the cooked stuff from the bottom, load raw stuff from the top, & add fuel from the sides. Some machines are smart enough to only let you pull finished items, some aren't.

Everything I know I learned from watching tutorials on youtube.

XxSaRobz09xX

Jul 29, 2019
There is no simple answer because each mods machines behave differently in terms of automating input & output. The ME interface can accept items ejected from an adjacent inventory, but will not actively pull items out of an adjacent inventory. Also, it will only push items into an adjacent inventory with an auto-crafting pattern in the bottom row of spaces in the GUI. Setting the export config on the left slots will only tell the ME system to keep that # of items in the interface itself in the slots on the right. This was probably the most confusing thing about starting to learn the basics of AE.

To actively pull items, use an import bus: basic will pull everything 1 at a time, precision can be set to pull either 1 or a stack at a time & can be filtered to only pull certain items, fuzzy is like precision but can also be set to consider damage values.

To actively push items, use an export bus, same 3 types as the import bus.

To make things even more confusing, some of the blocks you want to interact with have sidedness. TE machines let you choose which sides are in & which are out, but they can't be both. IC2 machines all sides are in, & you can use an upgrade to choose which side to auto eject from, so you could use 1 interface to push crafting pattern recipes & accept the finished product. With a vanilla furnace, you pull the cooked stuff from the bottom, load raw stuff from the top, & add fuel from the sides. Some machines are smart enough to only let you pull finished items, some aren't.

Everything I know I learned from watching tutorials on youtube.
I meant simple as in straight to the point and not long also, that's that helped alot

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk