Thaumcraft 4 - Mana Bean Farm

akumaduma

Jul 29, 2019
Nice design, I still havent set up a mana bean farm.

Thanks. I added an essentia mirror to my herba production furnace and now it's flying! \o/

Attachments

• 2014-04-27_19.46.jpg
    2014-04-27_19.46.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 324

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
Do you realize that using a ladder system you are wasting spots on the trunks that could be used if you plant the mana beans on the outside of the trunk?

99 mana bean pods with this setup using the same space....

Edit: Trunks are on the floor and not suspended, so the golems have no prob with pathfinding.

Attachments

• 2014-05-02_04.37.21.jpg
    2014-05-02_04.37.21.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 454

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Do you realize that using a ladder system you are wasting spots on the trunks that could be used if you plant the mana beans on the outside of the trunk?

99 mana bean pods with this setup using the same space....

Edit: Trunks are on the floor and not suspended, so the golems have no prob with pathfinding.

It looks like you are using multiple golems, or with a range upgrade with the golem. My setup I had used only 1 golem and had practically every block in a 4 block radius (9 x 9) filled with mana beans. Your farm does look nice, but it is using an 6 block radius for the farm (13 x 13 for the beans)

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
It looks like you are using multiple golems, or with a range upgrade with the golem. My setup I had used only 1 golem and had practically every block in a 4 block radius (9 x 9) filled with mana beans. Your farm does look nice, but it is using an 6 block radius for the farm (13 x 13 for the beans)

Well... technically, they have the same size! You have a 11x11 structure and you are using the internal sides for the farm, giving you a 9x9 farm. That is the reason of my post, with the same 11x11, I made a 13x13 farm using the outside sizes of the logs and having no problems with the beans getting stuck over the logs!

About the number of golems, I have 2, like everyone else. An harvester and a gatherer. Both flesh golems. Gatherer does not need an upgrade. Harvester, not sure. I had an upgrade initially when I had other problems and a different setup and never removed the upgrade. It might not need it but I think it will.
But, golem and upgrade cost is indifferent. The objective is making the most efficient mana bean farm in the long term, so the cost dissipates to zero with time.
The only important point is the way beans are placed for max output and in a 11x11 structure, using the outside side of the logs is more efficient!

I also complement this farm with a grinder and a auto-spawner with Forager's
I noticed the bean farm tends to have a much lower chance of giving some beans . Like, I have 1000 aqua and only 150 Instrumentus.
Foragers, on the other hand, usually give the rare beans and not the common ones, so its a nice mix. Mob essence farms with cursed sand and grinder will keep the auto-spawner running.

Again, this is thinking long term and having an infrastructure that gives me everything I might ever need in the long term.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Our farms aren't the same size. I used the 9x9 size for the farm as that is the largest range of an un-upgraded harvest golem. The outside structure was unimportant. The harvest golem only has range of a 4 block radius. If the bean isn't inside that radius, it won't be harvested. My goal was to maximize the number of beans that one golem could harvest without using range upgrades or multiple golems.

Using an advanced golem with 2 range upgrades and glasses, would give it a 7 or 8 block radius (not sure how much of a range upgrade the advanced golem gets). That would give a much larger boost to the bean production.

Theoretical maximum number of beans possible:
4 radius (9x9) = 81
5 radius (11x11) = 121
6 radius (13x13) = 169
7 radius (15x15) = 225
8 radius (17x17) = 289

This would be if every available space had a bean. Because of pathfinding issues, this is not currently possible.

With the changes to golem pathfinding since I originally posted this, even my modified layout has some pathfinding issues, and may no longer be the optimal layout with concerns to how golems functions and pathfind and bean density. If you can come up with a alternative layout that works well with golem pathfinding, please post.

It may be better overall to go with a lower density farm that has better pathfinding. If anyone can figure out how to get a golem to pathfind over multiple levels, that would be ideal as the 4 radius includes above and below the golem. It could be possible to have more than 1 level to the farm.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I'm working on a new base in a mystcraft void age, & I've updated my own design slightly. Including the outer walls, this is a 15x15 with 136 mana beans growing. I use 1 harvest golem with order & water upgrades & tiny spectacles. I collect the beans with a kinetic attractor under a hungry chest in the center of the floor. The beans are then piped into an enderchest & into a small ME system with a preformatted 16k storage cell. I still need to set up to feed herba to the lamps of growth.

10177326_10202878188669089_1290132376145806122_n.jpg

Reactions: Zuci and netmc

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Here's mine, which I just upgraded to double it. Each golem is harvesting 60 pods. Beans are collected using SFM Item Valves.
2014-05-09_16.38.05.jpg

p.s. why aren't spoiler tags working?

Last edited:

akumaduma

Jul 29, 2019
Apologies for resurrecting this rather dated thread but I recently referred back to it when putting together another mana bean farm and I wanted to post the result. Obviously, the configuration is a little different, since the beans only grow on the underside of logs now. I also added a wand recharge station on top of it to make the most of the space.

Attachments

• 2015-09-05_18.49.16.png
    2015-09-05_18.49.16.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 71

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Beans are not the same now as before. Now you are using essentia crystallize (or what they are called). You get then by melting items in a Essentia Crystallizer