AS Hungry Query

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason to eat beyond the full limits of the hunger bar? I remember long ago, that if you ate above the bar, you had a "hidden" bar, based on the food you ate, which would dictate how long before you began to lose hunger on the visible bar again.

I am wondering if I'm just wasting toast by eating once I see half a hunger bar gone.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Its called a saturation bar, and you are not wasting by eating that toast. Its filling up your saturation bar, which just makes it so that you have longer before you eat again (as you said). Also, I believe that (almost every) food gives you the Well Fed buff, so that will prevent you from taking hunger from doing anything (excluding sprinting, and a few others, I think) for the duration of the effect.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Can't say I've heard of a "well fed" buff, but I can tell you that the amount of saturation you get out of each food varies, and your saturation level is capped at your food bar level.

Hence if you're eating foods that give little to no saturation, it doesn't really matter when you eat because you'll be hungry again in no time regardless. On the other hand, some foods give more saturation than they give actual drumsticks, and those are best eaten when you're already at least somewhat full.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Hunger#Mechanics

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Wait

You can ... eat past the top of your hunger bar? I mean, the extra satation isn't wasted?
Is this a HO feature or have I been ... not eating until my food can give me a the full (visible) benefit in vanilla for no reason?

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
You can eat past the full hunger bar for some foods only, juice from apples/melons/carrots etc (created with a juicer) fill this need. I believe that it will give you the well fed buff.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The well fed buff is a HO thing.
The question is, is there (actually) additionally a hidden satiation bar, that means the full benefit of foods that fill more than 1/2 a haunch can be realized if eaten when only slightly hungry?
I (currently) always wait to eat until I am at least as hungry as my current food type would fill.

And if there is, is it a vanilla, or a HO mechanisim? (i.e. my wait until hungry enough for the food I have strategy has ALWAYS been wrong)

Last edited:

null123

Mar 27, 2014
The well fed buff is a HO thing.
The question is, is there (actually) additionally a hidden satiation bar, that means the full benefit of foods that fill more than 1/2 a haunch can be realized if eaten when only slightly hungry?
I (currently) always wait to eat until I am at least as hungry as my current food type would fill.

And if there is, is it a vanilla, or a HO mechanisim? (i.e. my wait until hungry enough for the food I have strategy has ALWAYS been wrong)
Saturation has been in vanilla since hunger was added...
However, only some (non vanilla) foods can be eaten while you are full.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't mean that eating a steak when your visible food bar is nearly full is worthwhile, mind you. The amount of saturation you gain won't make up for the amount of basic food points you wasted. You'll eat more often and run out of food faster that way.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I never understood the difference between the food value and staturation value of a food item until now.
And now that I do.

WTF!!@(#*!!@#ONE!!!!!!111!?

Seriously, who thought it a good idea that the food value, and saturation value, of a food, being different would be a good idea?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Just a note, the well fed buff seems to make it so that you don't lose hunger from anything but jumping (that I could test)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I don't let it worry me, not exactly hard to get food, even with hunger overhaul. Might starve at game start, but after that, you'll still get excess food long before any automated farms.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Its not hard to get food. Just bloody annoying to keep on making more, and eating every 30 bloody seconds.
I do not have kind words for the "person" who added hunger to minecraft as it does not make the game any more compelling, just incredibly annoying. I actually like Hunger Overhaul as it makes it a tad less annoying, allowing me to eat food less often, and have it last longer.
i still think its a bloody pita as, every building project, I dont have to worry about mobs, I dont have to worry about my thaumastatic harness running out of potentia, I have to keep on stopping every bloody 30 bloody seconds to stop and bloody eat or accidentally starve to death.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Its not hard to get food. Just bloody annoying to keep on making more, and eating every 30 bloody seconds.
I do not have kind words for the "person" who added hunger to minecraft as it does not make the game any more compelling, just incredibly annoying. I actually like Hunger Overhaul as it makes it a tad less annoying, allowing me to eat food less often, and have it last longer.
i still think its a bloody pita as, every building project, I dont have to worry about mobs, I dont have to worry about my thaumastatic harness running out of potentia, I have to keep on stopping every bloody 30 bloody seconds to stop and bloody eat or accidentally starve to death.
:D

you'd hate my pack then, since you also have to make sure you don't die of thirst, or overheat or get too cold. (Using EnviroMine alongside Hunger Overhaul). But then, that's aimed for for Survival.

But, even with 3 things to track, I don't notice it. Only have to eat every few minutes (unless having to do a lot of fighting) and drink at least every 5-7 minutes.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

you'd hate my pack then, since you also have to make sure you don't die of thirst, or overheat or get too cold. (Using EnviroMine alongside Hunger Overhaul). But then, that's aimed for for Survival.

But, even with 3 things to track, I don't notice it. Only have to eat every few minutes (unless having to do a lot of fighting) and drink at least every 5-7 minutes.
To be honest, I think having a system like that is better than just having one
If you have to start concentrating on multiple things to keep up, it feels like a survival game

But just hunger..? Feels like a badly designed game throttle.

null123

Mar 27, 2014

Is it perchance a public pack :D Sounds like something that I would enjoy :D

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Is it perchance a public pack :D Sounds like something that I would enjoy :D
It's a small private whitelisted server, but there's plenty of space for others. There's currently 3 main players, and a few "lurkers" on forums/server who play/comment when they can.

Visit the forum in my signature, make an account and post your interest in the general chat topic. Then I'll sort out your permissions so you can download and join.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
It's a small private whitelisted server, but there's plenty of space for others. There's currently 3 main players, and a few "lurkers" on forums/server who play/comment when they can.

Visit the forum in my signature, make an account and post your interest in the general chat topic. Then I'll sort out your permissions so you can download and join.
Tyvm :D I'll do it in the morning...

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'm quite sure this toast/apple juice combo will last until I care to automate it.

Right now I'm more focused on not having to fucking right click the sieve. Even with 200 APM it's a pain in the asshole.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Saturation has been in vanilla since hunger was added...
However, only some (non vanilla) foods can be eaten while you are full.
Golden apples of both kinds in vanilla can be eaten when not hungry, as a reminder.

Yay Lurking! I do that all the time, except not often enough on your site. And your server. Tried another server, sweet jegus, where is your server hosted? I had a fall lasting a second when I joined that server(hosted in Canada, mind you, and in Montreal no less), compared to a minute or so any time my position changed abruptly. And I could teleport and have the same time of the server not really understanding what's going on with me as expected(under a second) except during one lag spike.