Meaning of "slots" when renting Server

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I found a server provider I already used before, but he changed the weblayout and now I¨m confused.

If I want to rent a server they give me the option to change the RAM and the slots.

I know what the Ram is for(pro IT-Guy I´m ;) )
But I´m not sure about the slots.

Its just me and a friend so is the Slot thing just the max client conexition per server or does it also regular f.E. the proccesor of the server they will give me?
I can´t get in touch with their helpdesk so I want to ask here if someone is familiar with this kind of server renting and may guess what effect the slots will have.

thx!

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the slots are just max number of connections and shouldn't affect you in any way.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Detail I forogt, is that the more slots I wich to have, the more expensive it gets, and only logical reason I see to get a server mroe expensive is that they asign him more CPU/RAM. WHy would they sell client conextions? Its Linux, so ther is no motherfu... Microsoft for Server acces :p

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Detail I forogt, is that the more slots I wich to have, the more expensive it gets, and only logical reason I see to get a server mroe expensive is that they asign him more CPU/RAM. WHy would they sell client conextions? Its Linux, so ther is no motherfu... Microsoft for Server acces :p
In that case, the slots are the suggested amount for that server. Do they not tell you the details of the server you are getting as far as RAM and hard drive goes? If they don't, find another provider. They are not to be trusted.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
They will give it but you may need to open a Serviceticket.
As said, I rent a server there a Year ago and never had anyproblems with them. and its very cheep. 30 days 2 GB RAM 4 Slots = 3€
So I think I will give it a try and in case I find myself motivated enough to keep playing MC after a month I will consider a cahnge since 2 GB might get short by then.

thx for the guess anyway!

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Many hosting companies have a set amount of people that are allowed to join (assuming this is an exclusively minecraft hosting company. If not, then it's just connections in general). A lot charge extra to remove the limit, and you can set how many you'd like, but yes. Slots are just how many connections are allowed to join, and while it may be just a suggestion, it could be a set amount they have before-hand.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Hosts that charge based on slots are complete shit. 1 vanilla slot is not equal to 1 modded slot. A server I would use for 30 vanilla players wouldn't make it past 5 players on FTB Monster.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
y but the price of 3/Month is worth a try. For the moment we din´t got much running just a quarry and some basic MFR treefarms + ME.
For the moment it seems stabel. In case its getting to laggy I will migrate to a other one.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
My hosts charges per RAM assigned to the server, which makes sense. Slots are left up to me to decide.

If I get greedy, and get more players that it's more sensible to for my level of RAM, server will perform like crap as expected, and it would all be my fault.