[SOLVED]How to get steel?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so I recently set up an MFR tree farm, and after about an hour I have over 5k jungle wood. I honestly don't know what to do with all of it, so I decided to start up an auto-smelting process (Which I plan on figuring out myself), feeding the charcoal into an HP boiler.

The problem is, I don't have a single ingot of steel to my name. Neither do I have a single ingot of iron to my name. (I will go mining for this if need be). Nor do I have traincraft (Or whatever mod it was that made steel absurdly easy to get) installed. Therein lies my question, is there anyway other than a blast furnace, to get steel?

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
Kaotic,

In order for us to be able to answer the question you're asking I believe you'll need to supply us with some more details. To start with, what FTB-pack are you playing exactly since that's vital in order to be able to decide what methods are available.

For instance, Railcraft adds the Blast Furnace but as you mentioned you don't have that. In the Agrarian Skies pack, RC isn't installed but TiC Steelworks is (unknown to me at the time of writing btw since I've not progressed that far yet). IIRC from some AG videos I watched, the Steelworks addon/mod allows you to make steel even in the Skyblock map.

So until we know exactly what pack and/or custom mods you have available, answering your question cannot be more than providing you ALL possible options.

Cheers,
Bel*.

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
My question is if you are feeding it into a boiler, the same mod should have a blast furnace available. Railcraft, has the boilers, and the blast furnace (not sure which mod you are referring to). If you have metallurgy, and ExtraTiC, you can use 1 combine manganese/iron in the smeltery.

If you have Gregtech, look at the bronze machines, and so forth.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
induction smelter: 1 iron ingot + 4 charcoal = 1 steel ingot, 1 iron ingot + 2 coal = 1 steel ingot
if you have nether ores, nether pig iron ore in a tico smeltery gets you molten steel

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
If your modpack has Calclaviacore (pretty sure that's the right mod), you just put one iron ingot in the centre of the crafting grid and coal up, down, left and right. This will make steel dust which you can smelt.

If not, railcraft blast furnace, TE Induction smelter or the addon for TiCo.

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, thanks all for answering, even though looking back I really did not give much information at all.

Kaotic,

In order for us to be able to answer the question you're asking I believe you'll need to supply us with some more details. To start with, what FTB-pack are you playing exactly since that's vital in order to be able to decide what methods are available.

For instance, Railcraft adds the Blast Furnace but as you mentioned you don't have that. In the Agrarian Skies pack, RC isn't installed but TiC Steelworks is (unknown to me at the time of writing btw since I've not progressed that far yet). IIRC from some AG videos I watched, the Steelworks addon/mod allows you to make steel even in the Skyblock map.

So until we know exactly what pack and/or custom mods you have available, answering your question cannot be more than providing you ALL possible options.

Cheers,
Bel*.

I am playing the Monster pack along with Dartcraft in it as well.

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, thanks all for the help. I went mining for iron and used the blast furnace with charcoal. Now that I got motivated to mine for iron I got about 6 stacks of it (Which I'll be using to set up commercial steam engines to power a quarryplus quarry.) and got all the steel I needed to make my steam boiler and steam oven.

Thanks all!