Fastest way to place blocks/fill an area?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

stoneyloon

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all, I'm playing FTB Unleashed and I'm currently in the middle of building a big mountain and using fillers to make a 3x3 base of pyramids/squares then 2x2 ontop and 1x1 at the highest.

The problem I have is filling the areas between the pyramid/square shapes and will be expanding the mountain outwards.

I toyed with the wand of the earthmover for placing blocks and was wandering if there is anything else a bit more powerfull or have a bigger placement size (maybe 3x3x3 instead of 3x3). This would make it much less time consuming.

Thanks in advance for any decent info.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all, I'm playing FTB Unleashed and I'm currently in the middle of building a big mountain and using fillers to make a 3x3 base of pyramids/squares then 2x2 ontop and 1x1 at the highest.

The problem I have is filling the areas between the pyramid/square shapes and will be expanding the mountain outwards.

I toyed with the wand of the earthmover for placing blocks and was wandering if there is anything else a bit more powerfull or have a bigger placement size (maybe 3x3x3 instead of 3x3). This would make it much less time consuming.

Thanks in advance for any decent info.
You tried the builder's wand?

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I have seen a video (one of the Mindcrack Prank Wars, iirc) where they grew a cobblestone mountain using 1 bucket of lava & 1 bucket of water. Once you have the cobblestone shape you want you could wand of equal trade the surface blocks.

stoneyloon

Jul 29, 2019
Just tried the builders wand, not too bad actually but still a small area and very quirky to get used to. Thanks for the pointer though, will keep it for future use :)

Tried the bucket methods earlier but the lava flows sooo slowly and doesnt spread to the sides enough.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Set and go would be the BC filler. Etho uses is all the time to create structures. You create them in rectangular prisms, then chisel out w/e you want.

stoneyloon

Jul 29, 2019
The filler is what I'm using atm but its approx a 200x200x150ish area ( will prob end up bigger) I'm doing with a LOT of filling up in between the structures.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using markers to outlike the (BC) Filler's building area? You should be able to 64x64x64 at a time I believe..?

Or am I totally missing what you're trying to do?

stoneyloon

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I have the markers set to their max size. I'm looking for a tool that allows me to place lots of blocks at once if there is one. Like the wand of excavation but the opposite way around.

Pompadour64

Jul 29, 2019
One technique, taken from Etho in one of his recent FTB episodes, is using the CF Sprayer in conjunction with the Wand of Equal Trade. However, this would only be effective if you don't care that the inside of the structure will be dry construction foam. It places a random blob of up to 13 blocks per shot, if that's enough for you.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but nothing else can come close to mass placement. You can build more than one filler...

stoneyloon

Jul 29, 2019
One technique, taken from Etho in one of his recent FTB episodes, is using the CF Sprayer in conjunction with the Wand of Equal Trade. However, this would only be effective if you don't care that the inside of the structure will be dry construction foam. It places a random blob of up to 13 blocks per shot, if that's enough for you.

Sounds interesting, I'll try and look that one up. I can always re cover the outside with a natural looking layer and wall the inside once cut to shape.

Pompadour64

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds interesting, I'll try and look that one up. I can always re cover the outside with a natural looking layer and wall the inside once cut to shape.

Yeah, that's the point of the Wand of Equal Trade. It allows you to quickly and easily cover the outside with a more desirable block.

Another option is using the stair mode of the filler. That should help some, if I'm understanding your issue correctly.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I will also suggest, that if you are planning a project that massive, that you go through some project management exercises first... Just to pave the road a little before you start driving on it.

stoneyloon

Jul 29, 2019
I have what I need to do planned out, I just didn't know if there were better tools for the job. Nothing wrong with asking that.