Minecraft crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumbletug

Jul 29, 2019
hi guys, when i try to run FTB launcher (beta pack) my minecraft crashes. sometimes it might also appear a blue screen showing some messages (i can't read them because it appears and disappears in like 2 or 3 seconds and i don't understand nothing about what happears and that kind of stuff..). if somebody knows how to help me i would be really apreciated. here is the log of the crash:
---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// I'm sorry, Dave.

Time: 16-11-2012 19:16
Description: There was a severe problem during mod loading that has caused the game to fail

cpw.mods.fml.common.LoaderException: java.lang.RuntimeException: unknown character
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.identifyMods(Loader.java:322)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.loadMods(Loader.java:457)
at cpw.mods.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.beginMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:150)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:420)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:752)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: unknown character
at net.minecraftforge.common.Configuration.load(Configuration.java:375)
at net.minecraftforge.common.Configuration.<init>(Configuration.java:85)
at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeDummyContainer.<init>(ForgeDummyContainer.java:44)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.Loader.identifyMods(Loader.java:317)
... 5 more

Relevant Details:
- Minecraft Version: 1.4.2
- Operating System: Windows Vista (x86) version 6.0
- Java Version: 1.7.0_09, Oracle Corporation
- Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
- Memory: 180941400 bytes (172 MB) / 259522560 bytes (247 MB) up to 1037959168 bytes (989 MB)
- JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms256M -Xmx1024M
- AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
- FML: MCP v7.19 FML v4.2.18.433 Minecraft Forge 6.0.1.355 2 mods loaded, 0 mods active
mcp [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar)
FML [Forge Mod Loader] (coremods)

As i said, i don't understand what i need to do not computer language, if there's something else i need to add in here, please tell me[DOUBLEPOST=1353094313][/DOUBLEPOST]oh, one more thing, this is the information that appeared in my minecraft screen after the crash (this time it didn't appear the blue screen, because when it does the computer shuts down to prevent damage or something like that):
Minecraft has crashed!
----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem; Failed to start game
This error has been saved to C:\Users\Joao Paulo\Desktop\Rodrigo\Minecraft\updatetemp\FTBBETAA\minecraft\crash-reports\crash-2012-11-16_19.16.37-client.txt for your convenience. Please include a copy of this file if you report this crash to anyone.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 76ce98cb --------
Generated 16-11-2012 19:16

- Minecraft Version: 1.4.2
- Operating System: Windows Vista (x86) version 6.0
- Java Version: 1.7.0_09, Oracle Corporation
- Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
- Memory: 179456152 bytes (171 MB) / 259522560 bytes (247 MB) up to 1037959168 bytes (989 MB)
- JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms256M -Xmx1024M
- AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
- FML: MCP v7.19 FML v4.2.18.433 Minecraft Forge 6.0.1.355 2 mods loaded, 0 mods active
mcp [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar)
FML [Forge Mod Loader] (coremods)
- LWJGL: 2.4.2
- OpenGL: Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator GL version 1.5.0 - Build 7.14.10.1437, Intel
- Is Modded: Definitely; 'forge,fml'
- Type: Client
- Texture Pack: Default
- Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
- Vec3 Pool Size: ~ERROR~ NullPointerException: null

cpw.mods.fml.common.LoaderException: java.lang.RuntimeException: unknown character

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I'm getting the same kinds of problems, repeatedly. I've trashed the /Documents/Minecraft folder several times, uninstalled all of my Java installs, reinstalled 64bit Java 7 version 10... nothing is helping. I've even rolled my system back 6 days to see if something else was interfering.
Any other ideas?

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I'll post logs and such when I get home -- mainly I'm curious if I've missed anything regarding "clean install"?

Is there any folder I should be deleting besides the default /docs/Minecraft folder that FTB creates? Thanks!

Jordan Monaghan

Jul 29, 2019
My launcher isnt updating and I am on 1.0.9 and I am trying to update to 1.1.7. It comes up saying 1.1.7 of the launcher is available do you wish to update it? But when I click yes nothing happens and then when I play on it it is just normal minecraft again with no mods installed on it? Can you help??

And it wont let me make a new topic to post this is tech support. Is there a reason for that? :)

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
My launcher isnt updating and I am on 1.0.9 and I am trying to update to 1.1.7. It comes up saying 1.1.7 of the launcher is available do you wish to update it? But when I click yes nothing happens and then when I play on it it is just normal minecraft again with no mods installed on it? Can you help??

And it wont let me make a new topic to post this is tech support. Is there a reason for that? :)
Is there a reason for that?
Yes, support requests are to be posted on the support site.
when I click yes nothing happens and then when I play on it it is just normal minecraft again with no mods installed on it?
Logs, or it didn't happen.
Can you help??
Yes, if you provide logs.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my best suggestion: take your saves and put them somewhere other than your saves folder. Delete all ftb related files after that and re-download. You could just be too far out of date.

Jordan Monaghan

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm that sounds about right to me actually. I will try it. Quick question? I am going to take the FTB saves folder where is the best place to put it? And after I have deleted FTB everything to the recycle bin I dont have to go to control panel and uninstall anything from there do I? (normal windows computer)...

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Go into the modpack folders and pull out all of your "saves" folders.
Place them in anything generic really, and somewhere you won't forget about them. I use "FTB Saves Backups"

After deleting your FTB, just empty your recycle bin. Be sure to also check your Downloads folder, or any Temp Internet Files-type folders.
You don't need to actually uninstall anything at all :)

Jordan Monaghan

Jul 29, 2019
Well it kinda all worked now except from the fact that my world had been left with cut in half trees, missing trees parts of the world generation, missing items etc. And I think I know why its because when it screwed up and went back to normal minecraft when i looked round for a minute and realized something was wrong then pressed save and quit... It then probably saves the corrupt looking world and now that world is a srewed up save because it is corrupt because it saved the corruptness..... Also there is no going back I am sure you know how I am feeling right now so I am going to go straight to bed and try and sleep this one off?? (the amount of time I spent on that world) Oh well I guess I was planning to start a new world anyway what with the new redpower and all. I hope this never happens to any of you. I am sure there must be a way to stop this from happening again.. I mean I am pre cautious person and I thought I fairly new what I was doing but what about the people out there who dont know any of this! : /

Nevertheless thanks for your advice, because essensially it worked! :)

Happy holidays :)

rumbletug

Jul 29, 2019
alanesh, this problem happened to me because i played tekkit before ftb came out i believe. someow, it might have corrupted some important falls to run launchers or something and the pc would crash almost everytime i tried open the game. what i would recommend is that you reset your pc and start from scratch with a pc without any folders (i'm not english so i don't know the word that i'm trying to use but hope you understand what i'm trying to say). i think that's the best solution because this is a serious problem to the pc so only deleting files related to ftb doesn't work. hope it helps =)

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Well it kinda all worked now except from the fact that my world had been left with cut in half trees, missing trees parts of the world generation, missing items etc. And I think I know why its because when it screwed up and went back to normal minecraft when i looked round for a minute and realized something was wrong then pressed save and quit... It then probably saves the corrupt looking world and now that world is a srewed up save because it is corrupt because it saved the corruptness..... Also there is no going back I am sure you know how I am feeling right now so I am going to go straight to bed and try and sleep this one off?? (the amount of time I spent on that world) Oh well I guess I was planning to start a new world anyway what with the new redpower and all. I hope this never happens to any of you. I am sure there must be a way to stop this from happening again.. I mean I am pre cautious person and I thought I fairly new what I was doing but what about the people out there who dont know any of this! : /

Nevertheless thanks for your advice, because essensially it worked! :)

Happy holidays :)
Change is good :)

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
alanesh, this problem happened to me because i played tekkit before ftb came out i believe. someow, it might have corrupted some important falls to run launchers or something and the pc would crash almost everytime i tried open the game. what i would recommend is that you reset your pc and start from scratch with a pc without any folders (i'm not english so i don't know the word that i'm trying to use but hope you understand what i'm trying to say). i think that's the best solution because this is a serious problem to the pc so only deleting files related to ftb doesn't work. hope it helps =)
Are you saying I should reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows 7?

(Yes I played Tekkit for a few months on this same PC...)

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Alan, just do a clean reinstall of your launcher using my tutorial steps.
You should NEVER have to format your computer for a game. Unless maybe it's solely for games and your games broke it ;)

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Alan, just do a clean reinstall of your launcher using my tutorial steps.
You should NEVER have to format your computer for a game. Unless maybe it's solely for games and your games broke it ;)
Hi Ash,
Thanks for your help so far and your attention to this thread.

Actually my Windows box is only for games, but I would really rather not wipe it so I will exhaust other options first. :)
I've already completely uninstalled all Java Runtime Environments (and reinstalled JRE 7 v10), dumped my FTB Minecraft folder, tossed the launcher file, and downloaded fresh a couple of times. Still the crashing continued.

So... then I ran Memtest86+ and it said I had RAM errors. So I pulled two sticks and the errors went away. Then I put the two "bad" sticks back in and the errors NOT return. So I put all 4 sticks back in and still no RAM errors showed up on Memtest.
I have no idea what is going wrong here, but I'll put up some logs if I can get them next time I have a crash ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.