Ways to fix ticking tile entity crashes?

N-kay

Jul 29, 2019
My server just had another one, and I'm wondering if there are better ways to fix them than what I usually do. Wich is downloading the map, removing the cause with MCEdit and then reuploading the map. My problem with this is that it takes me about 2,5 hours to upload the map, then I have to unzip it and start the server again. This is so time consuming, and I hope there is a better way of fixing this, or maybe even prevent them in the first place?

Other options that I thought about are
-rollbacks, but my server only makes daily backups and deleting up to 24 hours worth of playing would just piss off my players and
-removing the mod with the block/item that's causing crash temporarily, so everything from that mod disappears on server start, but this would piss off everyone who used that mod

Please tell me if there's something obvius I'm missing, of if you got some neat trick or something to help me with this.
Thanks.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
1) if the world loads and only crashes when you load the chunk with the tile entity ( 99% of the time this is how it crashes for me ) you can use prism mcpc version and rollback place action for the block in question
2) if you know the exact location, you can use this tool http://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/coordinates/ to get the region, only download that and modify :) you don't need to download the full map, map is made from regions, like : r.0.0.mcr , r.0.1.mcr r.4.2.mcr etc

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The forge.cfg has an option you can turn on that auto removes erroring tile entities.

N-kay

Jul 29, 2019
1) if the world loads and only crashes when you load the chunk with the tile entity ( 99% of the time this is how it crashes for me ) you can use prism mcpc version and rollback place action for the block in question
Sadly, the tile entity in question has always been in someones chunkloaded base so far.
2) if you know the exact location, you can use this tool http://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/coordinates/ to get the region, only download that and modify :) you don't need to download the full map, map is made from regions, like : r.0.0.mcr , r.0.1.mcr r.4.2.mcr etc
Oh this sounds great! I'll look into this. Can I really just open that one file in MCEdit?
Forge.cfg has an option you can turn on that auto removes erroring tile entities
This sounds like a good option for when I'm not available. Are the removed tiles entitys logged somewhere?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly, the tile entity in question has always been in someones chunkloaded base so far.

Oh this sounds great! I'll look into this. Can I really just open that one file in MCEdit?

This sounds like a good option for when I'm not available. Are the removed tiles entitys logged somewhere?
I would think so, if just for debugging purposes for the modders, since Forgecraft uses this.

Johnson

Jul 29, 2019

Download the affected region then create a single player world with the modpack the region is from. Drop the region into the region folder of the new single player world you made. Load up MCEdit and select load level and then navigate to the level.dat from your new single player world. Click the MCEdit buttom in the top left and select GOTO. Put the coords of the block that's causing issues in here. Once here, left click the bad block twice to select it. There will be a new menu on your left, click delete block. Click the MCEdit in the top left again and click Save. Take the fixed region from your single player region folder and put it back on the server. All fixed.