Custom modpack mod suggestions

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
Gt... Hmmm enderIO, big reactors if you want nuke power without the "nukes" soul shard is kinda redundant if you have MFR's auto spawner on but thats me especially with extra utilities cursed earth I would not want to bother with dartcraft unless its for the lulz it gives time torches? Pft time controller? Pft makes the game silly... Especially once you start with dartcraft early game everything else is kinda eh... Mariculture too i would recommend if you like the water, mekanism if you like the xycraft tank feel with it's dynamic tanks and universal cables and is now fairly well documented but of course with GT in we would siggest also to edit the configs for TE and MFR to their respective dofficulty level these if were talking about tech mods else you can start with BevoLJ's pack in ATlauncher which revolves around GT's integration with reactor craft rotary craft MFR mekanism into the mix and ender IO already has carpenters blocks and chisel with it as well

Reactions: Bevo

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Gt... Hmmm enderIO, big reactors if you want nuke power without the "nukes" soul shard is kinda redundant if you have MFR's auto spawner on but thats me especially with extra utilities cursed earth I would not want to bother with dartcraft unless its for the lulz it gives time torches? Pft time controller? Pft makes the game silly... Especially once you start with dartcraft early game everything else is kinda eh... Mariculture too i would recommend if you like the water, mekanism if you like the xycraft tank feel with it's dynamic tanks and universal cables and is now fairly well documented but of course with GT in we would siggest also to edit the configs for TE and MFR to their respective dofficulty level these if were talking about tech mods else you can start with BevoLJ's pack in ATlauncher which revolves around GT's integration with reactor craft rotary craft MFR mekanism into the mix and ender IO already has carpenters blocks and chisel with it as well
yea I have been thinking about that, I know it would be alot easier for my players to get on if I just used this pack. However I am unfamiliar with the ATLauncher and am unaware as to if it is easy to remove and install mods.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019

I second the idea of adjusting the configs. Specifically the one that turns off vanilla MFR recipes and turns on TE ones. Of course if you have IC2/GT I'm not sure how balanced those make MFR in relation to what it does. I can only vouch for the balance I feel the TE ones have.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
I second the idea of adjusting the configs. Specifically the one that turns off vanilla MFR recipes and turns on TE ones. Of course if you have IC2/GT I'm not sure how balanced those make MFR in relation to what it does. I can only vouch for the balance I feel the TE ones have.
I have already edited these configs and unfortunately these recipes can be passed over by other mods, for example. TE3's gregtech recipes mostly use steel, which in GT is relatively difficult to make. But then if you have a mod like railcraft, where steel is incredibly easy to acquire, ore dictionary allows the player to use that steel in the recipe for the TE3 machine. I have been looking into a way to change recipes on my end but haven't come up with anything that will suit my needs.[DOUBLEPOST=1394679819][/DOUBLEPOST]
Re-add Twilight Forest, add Witchery, add Arcane Scrolls
Unfortunately im not running a high end server that can handle world generation very well. Same reason mystcraft is disabled, Also hardly gets used. However I will look into the other two.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Because you seemed to miss some of what Padfoote said, Technomancy is a nice one. There are also plans to make taint more dangerous. Alpha or not, it is something you should add.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately im not running a high end server that can handle world generation very well. Same reason mystcraft is disabled, Also hardly gets used. However I will look into the other two.
Is it really that hard on a crappy system? My machine is absolutely terrible, considerably a toaster that has toasted a potato. I can run TF perfectly fine, as can the mediocre servers that I use. >Hardly gets used; it's fuuuuuuun

If you need any info on Arcane Scrolls or Witchery, Arcane Scrolls is complete on the wiki, and Witchery is very near completion.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I have already edited these configs and unfortunately these recipes can be passed over by other mods, for example. TE3's gregtech recipes mostly use steel, which in GT is relatively difficult to make. But then if you have a mod like railcraft, where steel is incredibly easy to acquire, ore dictionary allows the player to use that steel in the recipe for the TE3 machine. I have been looking into a way to change recipes on my end but haven't come up with anything that will suit my needs.[DOUBLEPOST=1394679819][/DOUBLEPOST]

Disable redundant balance breaking stuff. Nuke it, then nuke it again! But seriously, it can be easier to disable stuff than to rack your brain trying to work around the problem. If you are making a mod pack it should be your vision. If your vision doesnt include something, then no one should fault you for it. Just be kind and document everything you change, and make people aware of the paths that lead through your tech tree.

Edit: MCPC+ will let you use worldguard to pregen your worlds while you sleep. This can drastically reduce the CPU load during exploration. Be aware this will really balloon your map file size. I've got a 20kx20k overworld and its like 10GB. My backups take about 10-20 minutes. You could also go back to regular forge server after the world generates if you're afraid of incompatibilities that may popup later.

Reactions: Jack0928PC

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Disable redundant balance breaking stuff. Nuke it, then nuke it again! But seriously, it can be easier to disable stuff than to rack your brain trying to work around the problem. If you are making a mod pack it should be your vision. If your vision doesnt include something, then no one should fault you for it. Just be kind and document everything you change, and make people aware of the paths that lead through your tech tree.
Keep in mind that I reserve the right to bug him about not having certain mods at any given time.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Is it really that hard on a crappy system? My machine is absolutely terrible, considerably a toaster that has toasted a potato. I can run TF perfectly fine, as can the mediocre servers that I use. >Hardly gets used; it's fuuuuuuun

If you need any info on Arcane Scrolls or Witchery, Arcane Scrolls is complete on the wiki, and Witchery is very near completion.
Its really on and off, Sometimes TF generation doesn't effect the other players on the server and other times it is a catastrophe. I really wish the system we are using could keep up, but it would appear that is not the case.

Thanks for the heads up, looks like I am going to add witchery to the modpack, looks very cool.

Thanks for the suggestions.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that I reserve the right to bug him about not having certain mods at any given time.

Not the whole mods exactly, but individual mod things. How many ways does one really need to do X? Is there a benefit to having these extra methods? Do these other methods break the balance of the pack as it was intended? Most importantly, you should address have all your decisions made your pack fun or a chore? The last question is specifically for your concerns :)

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
If you're used to TC4 pipes, you might want the essentia coils from Technomancy for 4.1. A lot of people have not enjoyed the new tubing system and the coils aleviate most of that suffering.
Honestly not biased on this one. Many a people who've disliked the new tubing system have fallen in love with coils.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Not the whole mods exactly, but individual mod things. How many ways does one really need to do X? Is there a benefit to having these extra methods? Do these other methods break the balance of the pack as it was intended? Most importantly, you should address have all your decisions made your pack fun or a chore? The last question is specifically for your concerns :)

One reason for all of the redundancies is I have been quite isolated only playing the DIrewolf20 pack in the past. For those who aren't aware the Direwolf20 Pack hasn't changed much in its lifetime and that has left me with only knowing the mods within the pack. So now when I am finally deciding to break away from it I am faced with all of these mods that are completely new to me. My indecisive reaction to this was I will just use them all... This list seems to keep adding up. On the tech side I have: GregTech, Mekanism, Thermal Expansion, Atomic Science, Reactorcraft, Rotarycraft, and Big reactors. All of which have some sort of item transportation system, power generation, item processing systems, etc. the list just goes on. My problem is I just dont know which ones to cut out, seeing as I have never touched most of them.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
One reason for all of the redundancies is I have been quite isolated only playing the DIrewolf20 pack in the past. For those who aren't aware the Direwolf20 Pack hasn't changed much in its lifetime and that has left me with only knowing the mods within the pack. So now when I am finally deciding to break away from it I am faced with all of these mods that are completely new to me. My indecisive reaction to this was I will just use them all... This list seems to keep adding up. On the tech side I have: GregTech, Mekanism, Thermal Expansion, Atomic Science, Reactorcraft, Rotarycraft, and Big reactors. All of which have some sort of item transportation system, power generation, item processing systems, etc. the list just goes on. My problem is I just dont know which ones to cut out, seeing as I have never touched most of them.

If you just want to try them, put them together in a beta pack and start a creative world. Play around with it for a few weeks, then go play with the configs for another couple weeks. At the end of the month, you can be a pretty good judge on whats fun and whats a pain in the butt. Build the end game stuff and decide for yourself is this worth it? Is it something I can have with other mods I cant live without? Can I live without the mods I can't live without? Does my PC laugh at the idea of me needing to make such a choice?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Totemic and Botania are both in beta but are very good mods built by are very own @Pokefenn and @Vazkii I think they would make a great addition to any pack with their great energy systems

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ha ha, "great addition to the pack," and your avatar is a wolf. Good one :) (Awaits boos and spoiled cabbages)
IjHUeOM.png

Alternatively:
kTA4GNE.jpg

Reactions: kaovalin