Looking for base design?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

sporemasterjw

Jul 29, 2019
I just recently moved up to FTB Monster, And was wondering what is a good above-ground house design that is roomy enough for machines, yet looks good. I am very early game so if you can get it to use basic building blocks that would be great, screenshots are perfered with your posts of your bases/bases you have built in past. Thanks in advance

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
When in doubt, ugly 9x9's with cobblestone aka, Direwolf houses. Later on, switch to nice stone and decorations. Build a moat...few towers....

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
There's no good answer for this, sadly. It's one of the things that you just have to keep doing again and again until you're comfortable with it. I know I'm not, but I still try building/rebuilding things until I'm at least okay with what I've built. It's also why I don't mind restarting worlds, as it gives me more opportunities to practice building and design skills.

Reactions: Padfoote

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Go look through the community showcase forum - there's a lot of inspiration to be found over there.

I tend to do lots of separate buildings dedicated to a single thing in a big base complex. It gives more opportunity to try out different building styles and presents plenty of opportunity for decorative pieces between buildings.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
I remember the old Soul Shards. I could never give up having infinite mob drops, so I started building bases around the limitations of vanilla spawner mechanics.

You will probably want a box with the interior sized 9x9xn for the spawners. Usually there's an auto-spawner below a tesseract below a couple of spawners below an iron spike or other block that discourages mobs from standing on top of it. Mobs can fall pretty far before dying or despawning so you probably want to put the mob grinder downstairs to avoid excessive mob noise.

You can fit a fair amount of floor space between the walls of the grinder and the spawning limit, which is a 16-block radius sphere if you have a single spawner. My love of automation means the walls slowly get replaced by machinery, often set into neat little 5x3x3 bays between aesthetic pillars.

If your house is a 31x31 cobblestone box you can use the corners of the box (outside spawning radius) for cabling and pipes that have to move vertically between floors and as places to hide medium bulkiness machinery. Extremely bulky machinery (tree farms etc) that doesn't need close supervision should be far away or on the roof.

Dark glass is extremely helpful because it lets you see what's happening in the grinder without letting light in.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my base I found a huge redwood right along the hide of a large hill with a river cutting in along side of it.

I used the tree as the main entrance and built into the hill for rooms, and build an exterior room next to the tree to act as a farm house. Inside I made a path to open into the river and build a bridge to the other half of the hillside.

I like working with the landscape around though, rather than just say.. making a building on a flat chunk of land.