Which FTB Modpack is right for me?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Douxo

Jul 29, 2019
So basically, i hate thaumcraft, i think it really cheapens the effort needed to succeed in a minecraft world.
It seems every modpack has Thaumcraft, the only one i've found that is ok, is Tech World 2, but it seems to be lacking basic things that every pack should have like Treecapitator and Power Suits.

Either, Can i remove thaumcraft from a different mod, or can i add those mods to Tech World
OR
Is there a mod that i'm looking for already, and if so, please do tell.

GerriShin

Jul 29, 2019
you technically can disable thaumcraft from any modpack from the edit pack button, but you can also add whatever mods you want to the Tech World pack the same way.

The FTBLite2 pack doesnt have thaumcraft in it though, that might be a nice pack too.
BTW, treecapitator is a little redundant since you can achieve the same effect with the Tinkers construct Lumber axe. and you can always add MPS if you really want (just make sure to also add an dependancy mods that MPS might need too)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
i hate thaumcraft, i think it really cheapens the effort needed to succeed in a minecraft world.

+

... every pack should have like Treecapitator...

=

*boggles*

Is this opposite day ? Or, maybe I don't understand your usage of "cheapens the effort needed to succeed".

TC4 is one of the most difficult mods out there with the steepest learning and progression curve while Treecapitator is rarely in modpacks because it's "cheaty" - you get hella powerful axe within 30 seconds into the game for no extra effort or tech progression.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see that button anywhere, I've got serverstart.bat and nothing else. But thanks for trying

Also Thank Gerrishin for useful info
6xjzT.png

As for servers, drag/drop the mods you are adding to the /server/mods folder.

Douxo

Jul 29, 2019
As for servers, drag/drop the mods you are adding to the /server/mods folder.

is it legit that easy? Drag and Drop.
And isn't that button useless to me? because the server holds the mods? or do i need to put them on locally as well?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
is it legit that easy? Drag and Drop.
And isn't that button useless to me? because the server holds the mods? or do i need to put them on locally as well?
MPS and Treecap require being in the client and server. Any mod with any IDs require being in the client and server mods folder, both of those mods have IDs (Treecap has an enchantment). You may run into ID conflicts whch you would need to resolve, thankfully both of those mods barely add any IDs.

Douxo

Jul 29, 2019
You're a champ, so, its unliekely if i only add Treecap/Timber and Mod Power Suits to Tech World 2, that it will encounter problems? like Compatability or shared recipes.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
You're a champ, so, its unliekely if i only add Treecap/Timber and Mod Power Suits to Tech World 2, that it will encounter problems? like Compatability or shared recipes.
Basically. If the game crashes it will tell you what went wrong. You don't need to add bspkrs core because it is already in TW2. Then, after everything loads properly, open up the latest Forge Modloader.log file in your .minecraft, and search for the word "conflict". If there are any that did not crash your game, they are item conflicts. Item conflicts can result in missing items, as well as messed up recipe (I saw an engine recipe that was 2 sticks and 3 Empty Cells yesterday when working on my pack).

Douxo

Jul 29, 2019
I edited monster, to remove Thaumcraft and Thaumcraft Monster Aspects, and i get crashes in both client and server. Seems hitting that edit button does more damage than good.

[SEVERE] [Minecraft-Server] Encountered an unexpected exception MissingModsException
cpw.mods.fml.common.MissingModsException

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
I can assure you did something wrong =/ but the current launcher is not trivial to use for a regular person. There's another mod depending on it, maybe thaumic tinkerer?

Douxo

Jul 29, 2019
Yes remove tinkerer worked! server is up and me n my mates are on , thanks alot to shir and xbony.

1 last noobiful question, if a Recipe does not appear when clickin in recipe book (any of the Tinkers' construct items) does that mean they are not activated? or that the recipes are just, not available but can still be made.
The only except to this is the BC Builder, which i think it removed intentionally, even though im desperate to play with it (perhaps nooby question 2, is there a way to mimic a builder without manually making another massive house)

Reactions: xbony2

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Tinkers is a little different. I don't know whether the parts or tools from that have entries in NEI (because it uses a different crafting system).

Best bet for it is to go from it's books for info.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Yes remove tinkerer worked! server is up and me n my mates are on , thanks alot to shir and xbony.

1 last noobiful question, if a Recipe does not appear when clickin in recipe book (any of the Tinkers' construct items) does that mean they are not activated? or that the recipes are just, not available but can still be made.
The only except to this is the BC Builder, which i think it removed intentionally, even though im desperate to play with it (perhaps nooby question 2, is there a way to mimic a builder without manually making another massive house)
Tinker's tools don't have recipes because you craft them in the Tool Forge and they're super customizable. Just learn how they work. While a bit steep at first, once you get over your mental block, it'll make you wonder how this was confusing and you'll loooove TiC like me.
Also, you can try the filler, which makes boxes for houses, and I believe there's a building guide block or somewhat that helps you build shapes like domes, etc. Idk the name for the building guide block though.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019

The builder hasnt been working for awhile, but apparently space toad is back developing buildcraft now and the rumor i heard was that the builder would be fixed for 1.7.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

GrumpyTiny

May 23, 2020
Honestly I recommend a modpack that you and some of your friends like. its get lonely playing alone :(