Help With Biomes O Plenty

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys I need some help with Biomes O Plenty. I am not 100% sure if I can do this.
I want to create a world when it's first gets generated it has only has normal Biomes than after that I want it to use the Biomes O Plenty Biomes.

Can this be done and how?

I was thinking that I could create the world with Biomes O Plenty disabled and then go back and re-enable it.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
You could create a world with the BoP biomes disabled in the config, generate the world, the re-enable the biomes you want, but this will look terrible. You will get biome boundaries along chunk lines and it will be a mess with cliffs everywhere.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
No real reason I through it would be cool if I could have a vanilla spawn area. With Biomes O Plenty the vanilla Biomes can be hard to find.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
You could create a world with the BoP biomes disabled in the config, generate the world, the re-enable the biomes you want, but this will look terrible. You will get biome boundaries along chunk lines and it will be a mess with cliffs everywhere.

Yeah and thats what I don't want. I would like to have a smooth connecting boundaries along the Biomes. I have to play around a bit then to see if it can be done.

I could just keep create worlds and hope I get a vanilla Biome, I was just hopeing there might of been another way.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice if it were possible to have a config for the spawn biome as part of the world type settings in terraingen.cfg. Something like...

# set spawn biome. Use biome ID, or 0 for random spawn biome.
I: "world spawn biome"=0

Edit: Nice, but probably impossible.

Reactions: Tankh

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure but you may be able to disable all the BoP biomes in worldgen and still have them available in Mystcraft ages in fact I'm fairly certain that is possible if you use standard gen with BoP active which will only give vanilla overworld terrain but it is still a loaded mod so the biomes would be avaliable via Mystcraft. Yeah doesn't help much with what you want to do but it could be done ... I think.
I actually forget what my spawn area is in my most recent world been that long since I've been there. I went and found a nice build site that is about 1300 from spawn and since I made a bed I haven't been back :)

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah and thats what I don't want. I would like to have a smooth connecting boundaries along the Biomes. I have to play around a bit then to see if it can be done.

I could just keep create worlds and hope I get a vanilla Biome, I was just hopeing there might of been another way.

You can always not use BoP terrain generation. You can even include make vanilla generate BoP biomes with the BoP configs so that things like deserts generate properly. Or do what WTFFFS said and disable biomes in BoP then use mystcraft. I have tried this to get a mostly desert world and it works, the only problem is that BoP is terrible with deserts for a variety of reasons.

And yes It would be nice to set your spawn biome, I had high hopes for ATG in this regard, but after fiddling with it's setting all I could produce was rolling hill islands of varying shape and size.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I normally disable BOP.

For my taste the biomes are too many, too small, too colorful. You are walking on a beautiful grasslands fuill of flowers and changing blocks the sky turns black and suddenly everything is darkness and dead stuff.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I normally disable BOP.

For my taste the biomes are too many, too small, too colorful. You are walking on a beautiful grasslands fuill of flowers and changing blocks the sky turns black and suddenly everything is darkness and dead stuff.
Alternately you could disable specific biomes in BoP, and change the sizes via the configs.

My personal annoyance with BoP is that it keeps the frequency of villages the same as vanilla, but it only allows villages in about half of the biomes it generates. This makes villages too rare IMO. I generally edit the config and let villages be generated in all but the most mountainous terrain and a few others.

And yeah, deserts are too dang rare. At least Dunes biomes should generate normal desert plants :\

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Alternately you could disable specific biomes in BoP, and change the sizes via the configs.

My personal annoyance with BoP is that it keeps the frequency of villages the same as vanilla, but it only allows villages in about half of the biomes it generates. This makes villages too rare IMO. I generally edit the config and let villages be generated in all but the most mountainous terrain and a few others.

And yeah, deserts are too dang rare. At least Dunes biomes should generate normal desert plants :\

If i did that i would forget to edit the biomes on some update, or they would change somehow and I would get a ton of ugly cliffs in my world hehe

I normally disable mods that seem too intrusive... matter of taste of course, but I disable AM for the intrusiveness and twilight forest (chunk genning performance seems much higher when tf is disabled, for me)

Natura im ok with, as it adds cosmetic stuff and, IMO, in a tasteful way. Thaumcraft is borderline obtrusive, but only with taint, so i disable its generation/spread, hoping to not forget after an update.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
If i did that i would forget to edit the biomes on some update, or they would change somehow and I would get a ton of ugly cliffs in my world hehe

What helps me is making a list of what you change and where what you changed is located. So I have a list of mods added, mods removed and what configs I changed, maybe what I changed, and where the damned things are in the folder.

It does help that I don't update often though.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
What helps me is making a list of what you change and where what you changed is located. So I have a list of mods added, mods removed and what configs I changed, maybe what I changed, and where the damned things are in the folder.

It does help that I don't update often though.

:D
Capture.png

Reactions: hiroshi42

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019

Weird. In a non-ATG BoP world, I usually have to travel around and make sure my base isn't too close to a village. I trashed a MW2 world a few days ago because there were six villages around spawn, leaving me with very little space to work in if I wanted to keep all of the villages unloaded. The one I settled on has three within 1000 blocks of spawn (and an ender forest about 200 block to the east, woohoo), but the closest is about 350 blocks away. Deserts are pretty rare for me too, though.

I have different problems with ATG. Villages always seem to generate in the water for me there, so I end up hauling a crapton of wood out and making them into versions of Laketown from the Hobbit. Some of them are so far out in the ocean they're more like the floating town from Waterworld... I haven't found a way to make most of them look good yet, so I've been looting them dry and setting a filler on clear to destroy them. It would be nice if they figured out how to fix the builder machine so I could just quarry them out and move them somewhere else. I'm too lazy to rebuild them manually.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I have different problems with ATG. Villages always seem to generate in the water for me there, so I end up hauling a crapton of wood out and making them into versions of Laketown from the Hobbit. Some of them are so far out in the ocean they're more like the floating town from Waterworld... I haven't found a way to make most of them look good yet, so I've been looting them dry and setting a filler on clear to destroy them. It would be nice if they figured out how to fix the builder machine so I could just quarry them out and move them somewhere else. I'm too lazy to rebuild them manually.
I have the same problem with ATG. So many waterlogged villages all over, and rarely any testificates on land.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
I have the same problem with ATG. So many waterlogged villages all over, and rarely any testificates on land.
I found one waterlogged village in ATG that I really liked... It was in a swampland biome, and close enough to land that I could build two bridges to the shore. I used logs as support for the platforms, and built the roads five blocks wide with fences on the edges. With the swampland colors, the vines, and a few extra willow trees planted in the water (modified with extra logs for roots into the water), it looked great. Kind of like a Louisiana bayou settlement built out over the water.