iron golem farm questions!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Davykinz

Jul 29, 2019
So i just made an iron golem farm. when i finished it, i realized that it is pretty close to my villager trading shop which has 7 villagers in it.

Will this affect the iron golem farm?
How long does it take before iron golems start spawning?

thanks!

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
If I remember right it is only the doors that affect the spawn point for the golems, so your trade area should only affect it if it has wooden doors. The traders might still count as villagers so you might see fewer in the farm area.

Pied_Piper_11

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that you need at least 12 or 16 villagers to spawn a golem so give it some time. He will spawn in the middle based on the door locations. 40 doors or 48? I think it requires 48 to work with out bringing in all the villagers.

Kahless61

Jul 29, 2019
To rehash on what the others have saying, since I have a bit of experience with it as well - golems spawn around the "center" of the village, and a village location is only determined by valid doors. Villagers only affect whether the village is valid or not, and count towards the cap before golems can spawn. As such, as long as you have villagers within range of the doors to keep the villages valid, you're fine. Additional villagers will only contribute to villager count-based things - like whether the population is dense enough to spawn golems, or whether the population is not dense enough and the villagers should start breeding (which happened to my iron foundry when someone placed a door and caused all the villages to merge...).

Davykinz

Jul 29, 2019
To rehash on what the others have saying, since I have a bit of experience with it as well - golems spawn around the "center" of the village, and a village location is only determined by valid doors. Villagers only affect whether the village is valid or not, and count towards the cap before golems can spawn. As such, as long as you have villagers within range of the doors to keep the villages valid, you're fine. Additional villagers will only contribute to villager count-based things - like whether the population is dense enough to spawn golems, or whether the population is not dense enough and the villagers should start breeding (which happened to my iron foundry when someone placed a door and caused all the villages to merge...).
so the villagers have been breeding slowly. but they seem to have stopped. its been a few hours and its been stuck at 10 villagers. thoughts? :/ no iron golems are spawning

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
so the villagers have been breeding slowly. but they seem to have stopped. its been a few hours and its been stuck at 10 villagers. thoughts? :/ no iron golems are spawning
What is your setup? you might have doors that are not in range of villagers so they are not considered valid. with 10 villagers you should according to the MC wiki have golems spawning

Davykinz

Jul 29, 2019
What is your setup? you might have doors that are not in range of villagers so they are not considered valid. with 10 villagers you should according to the MC wiki have golems spawning
i used this exact set up
[DOUBLEPOST=1389835673][/DOUBLEPOST]
i have a villager trading shop somewhat close to it, has around 8 villagers, but no doors. could this be affecting the iron golem spawning?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
The trading post might affect the spawning, but only if the villagers are within the village edge, which for that should be 32 blocks x/z from the exact center. Y level (up/down) gets a little confusing after a while so the best I can say right now is maybe move the trading post outside the 32 radius/box/whatever shape it is.

I have yet to build a golem farm in modded Minecraft, although I was planing on it later this evening.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe modded villagers are not counting? Also on the MCwiki page it suggests that villagers can bug out an might require you to restart minecraft to get them to start working properly so you could try that.

Davykinz

Jul 29, 2019
The trading post might affect the spawning, but only if the villagers are within the village edge, which for that should be 32 blocks x/z from the exact center. Y level (up/down) gets a little confusing after a while so the best I can say right now is maybe move the trading post outside the 32 radius/box/whatever shape it is.

I have yet to build a golem farm in modded Minecraft, although I was planing on it later this evening.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe modded villagers are not counting? Also on the MCwiki page it suggests that villagers can bug out an might require you to restart minecraft to get them to start working properly so you could try that.
lemme know how yours goes :)
i appreciate ur help

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
So, I managed to get one set up, pretty much the one in the video you posted. Everything seemed to work fine for me, so I have no clue what your issue might be. Almost immediately upon getting 10 villagers an iron golem spawned.

About the only thing I am going to change about my setup (other than maybe location) is to use something other than vanilla spawn mechanics to get villagers. From villager installation to 10 was something like 2 hours, bleh. Minefactory, Dartcraft, or SoulShards - even with the whole world crashing thing- are better alternatives. Or just use safari nets(MFR) or a golden lasso(extra utilities) to raid a village and let them repopulate.