Forum games posts don't count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Apparently now, no forum games posts count towards your post number. This is absolute rubbish, as many people have been shot down the list, and most of the people who were originally at the top were taken off of it.
Also there is a possibility that posts from the no topic thread, that glorious thread of days gone by, no longer count, although I am unsure as to whether or not this is true, and clarification would be helpful.
So what is the reasoning behind this then?

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
So what is the reasoning behind this then?
Here you go: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/38637/

Apparently posts in non-public sections don't count anymore so I only have 20 (including this one) now.
FrankerZ.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
First I really don't give a damn about post counts as a "badge of" something, but I have used them a bit whenever I met a member I hadn't seen before(or just didn't remember) to sort of judge if they have "been around" and know what they are claiming or they just created a account yesterday and have 2 posts. But now everyone are complete newbs :p It was particularly hard to judge in the the whole Curse business thread since it looked like everyone had just created accounts to troll ;)

Obviously it would be a good idea to put some moderation on so called "forum games" so they arent just for people to "farm" some post counts, since it very well can invite some really annoying behavior. Seen it before that people post stuff with no apparent purpose other than raise their post count. But whatever was done to prevent this might have been a bit drastic. I myself have never participated in any of these forum games, yet have gone from some 600+ to 10 posts :p

Reactions: dwappo

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
First I really don't give a damn about post counts as a "badge of" something, but I have used them a bit whenever I met a member I hadn't seen before(or just didn't remember) to sort of judge if they have "been around" and know what they are claiming or they just created a account yesterday and have 2 posts. But now everyone are complete newbs :p It was particularly hard to judge in the the whole Curse business thread since it looked like everyone had just created accounts to troll ;)

Obviously it would be a good idea to put some moderation on so called "forum games" so they arent just for people to "farm" some post counts, since it very well can invite some really annoying behavior. Seen it before that people post stuff with no apparent purpose other than raise their post count. But whatever was done to prevent this might have been a bit drastic. I myself have never participated in any of these forum games, yet have gone from some 600+ to 10 posts :p
On the latter part of what you said, I agree somewhat. People love "moderators make you lose count" because they get shit tonnes of posts for writing a fucking number. I think it should be certain threads, not the entire section.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
How on this planet should the forum game posts count towards anything? If some high ranking people gained their "ranks" by posting only in forum game threads.. Good that they be gone :) BUT, I do believe there is a problem though. I never posted in those threads and I am down to 2 posts. I don't know how many posts I made before the change, and don't care either, just pointing out that there is obviously something flawed in the new posts calculations because I did write some more than just 2 posts :)

Actually, I wish there was an option to NOT see the offtopic forums at all. Quite annoying when browsing though the new posts and every other row is a funky forum game that i'm not interested in. (I hope there is an option and someone is going to point me in the right direction ;) )

Reactions: rhn

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Yay first post on these forum !!!

Yeah I agree with rhn and the_j, people should not get post-counts for a forum game that takes you 1 second of your time, but for other forum games, that are more complex and that you would actually need to think about what you post, I think you should get post-counts.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Also posts made in the good old no topic thread appear to have been discounted. that is certainly a bad decision, as surely some of the greatest things ever happened there?

Reactions: Nerixel

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well I wouldn't personally mind if the whole of the "General" section didn't count. If the post count should reflect anything it should IMO be how helpful they are to others or how productive they have been with feedback/bug reporting. Or that would at least correspond with how I use the post count information. But at the moment it seems like the entire "Feed the beast" section of the forum doesn't count either.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Well I wouldn't personally mind if the whole of the "General" section didn't count. If the post count should reflect anything it should IMO be how helpful they are to others or how productive they have been with feedback/bug reporting. Or that would at least correspond with how I use the post count information. But at the moment it seems like the entire "Feed the beast" section of the forum doesn't count either.
Surely it is a good thing if people are active, as long as they are not spamming things like CERTAIN forum games. Post count shows said activity very well.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Surely it is a good thing if people are active, as long as they are not spamming things like CERTAIN forum games. Post count shows said activity very well.
It might just be me, but I dont need a counter to show me if people are very socially active. If they are very socially active, then odds are that people know them by name very well. As mentioned I sort of use the counter of judge the validity of the claims/arguments of people. Of course I don't base anything solely upon it, but I think I would be more willing to trust someone who have been actively helping people here on the forum a lot rather than someone who just created an account. But I would have no way of judging if someone actually earned his 1k posts helping others, or just playing/"farming" forum games and set his foot in the Tech support for the very first time to spout some nonsense.

Reactions: Racemol

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019

I kinda agree with this, sure games are fun and do increase "post count", but I'm reality don't people want to be "known" on here for the help they gave?

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Some people would have had lower post count because it was still rebuilding, I think its finished now so you should be seeing a proper post count

Reactions: dwappo
Status
Not open for further replies.