Possible account hack after using the launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

dope_danny

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, long time user, first time poster.

So i went to open the mac version of the current up to date launcher and tried to access the horizons modpack. I was told the login information was incorrect and when i proceeded to the mojang website it said the same.
Upon changing this i logged in to find i was in a different skin i had never seen before and not the one i created myself.
From what i've seen i would assume my account was hacked in some way. However the mac client of FTB is the only thing i have ever entered the information on other than the origional minecraft from mojangs sight.

I'm currently running scans on my mac for any possible keyloggers to see if its a problem on my end, but thought it worth mentioning in case there might be some exploit being abused with the launcher.

Apologies if i come off as completely computer illiterate here, never had something hacked before being a mac user its not as common, but thought it worth bringing up in case its not a fault on my end.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Macs can't get viruses (supposedly), but a virus isn't the only kind of malicious program. That "Apple doesn't get viruses" thing is mostly marketing. It's true, but still.

The only time there's ever been any security issue with the launcher is when it was printing the user's username/email and password in plain-text in the console log if there was a login error, but that was a really old version. It's almost definitely something on your computer.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
. I was told the login information was incorrect and when i proceeded to the mojang website it said the same.
Upon changing this i logged in to find i was in a different skin i had never seen before and not the one i created myself.
From what i've seen i would assume my account was hacked in some way. However the mac client of FTB is the only thing i have ever entered the information on other than the origional minecraft from mojangs sight.
All of this tells me you should be contacting Mojang about your account possibly being hacked.
To my knowledge, they do not store credit card or other important data on their site with these log in credentials. Due to that, they'll probably just tell you to change your password (which you've done).

Status
Not open for further replies.