Emasher's Defense Mod

ZedX

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking at the mods in horizons (looking for where I should get started) and I stumbled upon Emashers thread. He has an awesome mod called "Defense", which adds items such as barbed wire, fences, and sandbags. More information:

Defense is all about defending your base from mobs and even other players. You can craft chainlink fences, which are cheaper than iron bars, but are climbable. To solve this, you can also craft barbed wire, and razor wire to place on top. These are also climbable, but they'll do significant damage to anything that tries to do so (razor wire is more expensive, but does more damage). You can also craft sandbags, which are somewhat explosion resistant. As a bonus, Defense adds a recipie for vanilla chainmail armour.

Defense now also includes deflector shields.

What do you guys think? I reckon it looks real cool and should be added to Horizons.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...ource-engineers-toolbox-gascraft-and-defense/

def2.png

def1.png

I couldn't find many videos of it, but I found this:

It is an outdated video: More features have been added and the bugs in this video have been fixed.

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Link some spotlight or Let's Play and some description in the post will help promote it too. :)

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

ZedX

Jul 29, 2019
Link some spotlight or Let's Play and some description in the post will help promote it too. :)

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk
Done.

I reckon it'd be cool simply because aesthetically it looks cool, but it also has a function. You could store mobs behind it, and keep them there for when you want DNA, or just for defending your base. Anything really.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I don't find it all that aesthetically pleasing nor do I find it useful. The wooden fences in vanilla are cheaper and the same thing. I personally don't see much point in adding it. It's nifty, but not really useful.

ZedX

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I don't find it all that aesthetically pleasing nor do I find it useful. The wooden fences in vanilla are cheaper and the same thing. I personally don't see much point in adding it. It's nifty, but not really useful.
I guess it boils down to taste. I reckon it'd be nice and is a more... modern looking alternative to using dull wood fences or iron bars.

Not just the fencing and sand bags, but you can get deflector shields, which look pretty cool.

Oh, and it ISN'T the same as wooden fences. Barbed wire hurts you, deflector shields stop arrows and mobs, and sandbags are more explosion resistant.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
it's cool, but there's alternatives to this mod in other mods, so there's not much reason to add this to the modpacks other then "it's cool"

ZedX

Jul 29, 2019
there's alternatives to this mod in other mods
Alternatives such as? I don't know of any "alternatives" in the Horizons mod pack, the one I suggest this could be added to.

Last edited:

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I guess it boils down to taste. I reckon it'd be nice and is a more... modern looking alternative to using dull wood fences or iron bars.

Not just the fencing and sand bags, but you can get deflector shields, which look pretty cool.

Oh, and it ISN'T the same as wooden fences. Barbed wire hurts you, deflector shields stop arrows and mobs, and sandbags are more explosion resistant.
I'm aware they do damage, but a wooden fence is made of sticks and keeps mobs out. Barb wire, I'm assuming, is made of iron and keeps mobs out. I don't see the textures as anything fantastic so it's not something that I would personally use nor many others. It just has no use here.

Reactions: Padfoote

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Alternatives such as? I don't know of any "alternatives" in the Horizons mod pack, the one I suggest this could be added to.

you could use MFFS, which looks cool.
you could use the bear trap of optifine, or quicksand from other mobs.
there's the vanilla fence, also other types of fences provided by other mobs.
you can also take the vanilla iron bars and change their textures with chisel

I'm not saying Defense is a bad mod, but I just don't really see an use for it in the current packs

ZedX

Jul 29, 2019
you could use MFFS, which looks cool.
you could use the bear trap of optifine, or quicksand from other mobs.
there's the vanilla fence, also other types of fences provided by other mobs.
you can also take the vanilla iron bars and change their textures with chisel

I'm not saying Defense is a bad mod, but I just don't really see an use for it in the current packs

- MFFS causes major lag, and is banned on many servers (Yes there is single player too, but servers are typically the more popular choice)
- MFFS isn't actually in the Horizons modpack
- Vanilla fence and other fences do not include force fields or barbed wire that can damage mobs, like in this mod
- No comment on the chisel thing. The mod, aesthetically looks nice.

I mean its not all about functionality, it should also be about general appearance. I mean sure, there isn't any real reason to add it, but if the mod was there, would people complain? No. Because its a mod that would be cool to have, for those that wanna use it. Its a nifty little mod, and while it doesn't have a major role in the server, it is still something that can look cool for extra use.

And not just the fences, but the forcefields it comes with. A better question would be "Why NOT have it?".

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
And not just the fences, but the forcefields it comes with. A better question would be "Why NOT have it?".
If nobody uses it, why waste the time and data downloading it and running it on your Minecraft? Every mod comes with a little more lag and a little more loading time the more mods you have. Even the small stuff. It may not be a huge impact for most, but generally taking out all the small mods that you don't use in a modpack helps decrease the lag, especially when you have 100+ mods. I don't think many people would use Defense. People looking for aesthetics would just go to Chisel, and people looking for functionality can use cactus, wooden fences, or a 1x2 hole in the ground. It's a neat mod, it just solves a problem that wasn't a problem in the first place.

ZedX

Jul 29, 2019
If nobody uses it, why waste the time and data downloading it and running it on your Minecraft? Every mod comes with a little more lag and a little more loading time the more mods you have. Even the small stuff. It may not be a huge impact for most, but generally taking out all the small mods that you don't use in a modpack helps decrease the lag, especially when you have 100+ mods. I don't think many people would use Defense. People looking for aesthetics would just go to Chisel, and people looking for functionality can use cactus, wooden fences, or a 1x2 hole in the ground. It's a neat mod, it just solves a problem that wasn't a problem in the first place.

I suppose you make a valid point, but if it is there, people probably WILL use it. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean everybody else wouldn't. People have mixed opinions. You can say it doesn't have that much of a point, but truth is, it is a mod designed for defense. You really think people are just gonna go "Meh, I'll just use a wooden a fence" or "Meh, I'll just use a cactus, or a hole in the ground". The whole point is finding non-vanilla ways to do things. There are machines for getting jobs done, now we just need something for defense. You can have the barbed wire, and then towers with railguns on top from Rotarycraft, for example. There are all kinds of creative things you could do.

Sure you might not use it, but if it was there, nobody would complain. As far as your "everything adds up" argument goes, you're right, every mod does cause a little more lag, but we already have modpacks with mods like MFFS, and other power consuming mods, and considering nothing too bad is in Horizons, this mod would go in just fine.

Like I said, I reckon it boils down to opinion and taste. You might prefer to have something simple, like a wall of cactus, or a hole/moat around your base, but there are others that want to be more extravagant.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
what also a thing is... if FTB had to provide the most efficient mod for each situation, the modlist would be huuuuuuuuuge.
at one point you'll need to decide that enough mods is enough, and it if isn't the most efficient way of doing it, find a way to make it more efficient.
you can provide a mod to make every situation more easy and efficient, but then you'd completely take away the challenge

ZedX

Jul 29, 2019
what also a thing is... if FTB had to provide the most efficient mod for each situation, the modlist would be huuuuuuuuuge.
at one point you'll need to decide that enough mods is enough, and it if isn't the most efficient way of doing it, find a way to make it more efficient.
you can provide a mod to make every situation more easy and efficient, but then you'd completely take away the challenge

The challenge in what? Keeping your house well defended? You can do that with vanilla fences and traps, of course those who want to be more creative may want more advanced or fancy things. It doesn't change the challenge whatsoever. Its not like you're sticking up barbed wire fencing behind you when you go mining or anything. You can't camp in your base. You gotta leave it some time, to mine, collect materials etc. Whenever you leave your base you're at risk, anyway. It doesn't change the challenge at all. Besides, the base is supposed to be the one place you're safe.

Defending your base is just ONE aspect of FTB. The majority of challenge is in constructing machines and finding easier ways to get work done (By working your way to the top), and this mod doesn't change any of that.

Its not about having a mod for every situation. Horizons doesn't have as many defense mods, compared to other packs with MFFS, Tesla coils, etc. (And with good reason). That is an area Horizons doesn't really cover, which is why I suggest this cool mod be added.

Last edited:

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said, I reckon it boils down to opinion and taste. You might prefer to have something simple, like a wall of cactus, or a hole/moat around your base, but there are others that want to be more extravagant.
Lets be hones here, if you're going for extravagant, you're going to use Chisel and Carpenter's blocks. Chisel gives more fences/iron bars that are far superior aesthetic wise.
Its not about having a mod for every situation. Horizons doesn't have as many defense mods, compared to other packs with MFFS, Tesla coils, etc. (And with good reason). That is an area Horizons doesn't really cover, which is why I suggest this cool mod be added.
Currently, this is hardly a "defense" mod. It just adds a few types of fences with a special effect and sandbags, and I would hardly call that a "defense" mod.

ZedX

Jul 29, 2019
Lets be hones here, if you're going for extravagant, you're going to use Chisel and Carpenter's blocks. Chisel gives more fences/iron bars that are far superior aesthetic wise.

Currently, this is hardly a "defense" mod. It just adds a few types of fences with a special effect and sandbags, and I would hardly call that a "defense" mod.
Just teamed up with somebody today, and we did our interior with the chisel mod.

You're right, there really isn't a need for this mod, the chisel mod is high detailed and looks very good.

The defense mod, at least at its current state, probably isn't needed.

Yes, I just went from "We need this" to "Damn, this chisel mod is amazing".

So yeah. You're right, for the most part. That chisels mod is pretty damn cool. Maybe this defense mod can be added later, if more stuff was added, and it appealed to the public more (I think its a new mod, since it only has fences, sandbags and one forcefield type). I reckon the defense mod has potential, but for now, no, it isn't necessary.

You definitely proved your point effectively. Good job.