Your favorite way of mining manually

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
I am just curious how people like to mine manually. I am not just talking about techniques, but also the tools you use for the best results.

I play with the DW20 pack with Dartcraft, so I use
  • Cobalt hammer with a Thaumium handle, full lapis, Flux capacitor, and the rest redstone
  • A flux capacitor to recharge my hammer and other tools
  • A force pick for Silk touching Redstone Ore
  • 4 Force Packs to deal with automated cobble compression, one for dirt (gravel, sand, flint), one for torches, and one for ores
So, what are your go-to tools and methods?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Diamond Jackhammer, Rock Cutter, Diamond Drill.

If only there were a way to automatically place torches behind you...

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
If only there were a way to automatically place torches behind you...

This would be a must-have mod for me. A backpack that stored torches, and deposited them either manually with a keystroke, or at set increments that were configurable. That would be glorious.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing a blood magic 'Ritual of Magnetism' and a Fortune hammer doesnt count...

If it doesn't, a TiC hammer with a Cobalt head, paper plate, cobalt plate and Thaumium rod.
A silk TiC pick (doesnt really matter)
And a ender pouch to throw all the ores in. (Or forestry backpacks to hold the ores/cobble)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I just realized after posting that that Thaumic Thinkerer has that Hyperkinetic Nitor, which is similar but temporary.

And also I believe Gregtech has a lamp hat.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
All below are TiCo Cobalt head with paper and Thaumium parts otherwise for max. enchants. Also, Mossy for regen. I wanted to go low(er) tech this time.
  • Hammer w/max redstone for most stuff
  • Hammer w/Fortune and rest redstone for diamonds, emerald, coal, TC4 shards, etc.,.
  • Pickaxe w/Silk Touch for redstone ore
Next playthrough I may try Iguana Tweaks or TC4 tools for a change of pace.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
I love my cobalt hammer with auto smelt, fortune and haste. The only thing I dont like about it is the flames on the stone when I mine it. It's too bright and bothers my old eyes. :)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
y'know, just a nuke, works wonders when you're trying to clear a large area
but to be serious, probably hammer with electric upgrade

Jul 29, 2019
Cobalt hammer w/ slime rod (1.5x durability)
Eventually I throw on a redstone-level flux capacitor,
and spend 1 modifier on redstone

I also carry a fortune 3 manullyn pick w/ slime rod and obsidian binding,
1 modifier spent on redstone
I also add a redstone-level flux capacitor (once i have the resources)

I do also like the mining laser but am not using it currently because:
1) Tinkers' Construct is new for me, fun to learn
2) Mining laser will break diamond, lapis, redstone, quartz etc which I would rather mine w/ fortune 3[DOUBLEPOST=1388776638][/DOUBLEPOST]
I use veinminer and mining go by so much faster
veinminer? what on earth is that??

Neoxon

Jul 29, 2019
Cobalt hammer w/ slime rod (1.5x durability)
Eventually I throw on a redstone-level flux capacitor,
and spend 1 modifier on redstone

I also carry a fortune 3 manullyn pick w/ slime rod and obsidian binding,
1 modifier spent on redstone
I also add a redstone-level flux capacitor (once i have the resources)

I do also like the mining laser but am not using it currently because:
1) Tinkers' Construct is new for me, fun to learn
2) Mining laser will break diamond, lapis, redstone, quartz etc which I would rather mine w/ fortune 3[DOUBLEPOST=1388776638][/DOUBLEPOST]
veinminer? what on earth is that??
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=veinminer

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I keep a resonant strongbox on me with all my tools in it and two other strongboxes inside. One for food and one for lights. If I have Rotary craft, I use a Bedrock pick. If I don't, I use a Flux Infused Fortune 3 pick.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Mining laser
Gravichest or other high EU storage.
Lots of upgraded forestry mining/diggers backpacks and/or enderpouch.
Lootmagnet(coin of fortune, magnet glove etc).

Dig down to bedrock, clear out a chunk(s) 2 blocks tall(either with drill or laser on horizontal).
Set Mining laser on Long range, point up, shoot, step forward, shoot, repeat.
Let loot rain down on you and lootmagnet pick them up.

Preferably done in a flat Mystcraft world with no caves/lava/water. Standing directly on flat bedrock prevents any mobspawns. By far of of the fastest way of mining including automated ways.

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody posts how they like to mine? Ok first! Well boo! 2 people come in here while I was away and before I hit the post button :(
I'm trying new ways just to keep it fresh, the most used way is usually stairway down.

Second mining idea was to mine a 3x3 hole to let the sun in (having a house around it to prevent mobs falling on me and a glassroof) with stairway circling down around the hole.

Third mining option I use is the lazy one: get 5-10 blocks down until I get to cobble level, mine a wall 7 blocks wide then make 4 openings that I mine straight forward until I hit ores.

As for tools, well Tconstruct picks with alumite heads and shovel with obsidian head and diamond on.
Double-edit. Yeah I havent gotten to the Nether yet, so I'm clueless about those ores. I'm sure they are great :p
Meteorite pickaxe from Falling Meteors mod is also good when trying to pick ores above lava

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Well I find strip mining the most boring thing ever so I just explore caves however this plus my play style of not wearing armor can result in some very frustrating moments.

Reactions: abculatter_2

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I love every opportunity I get to have this video shriek in people's ears and give them epileptic fits.

That is how I manually mine. Note I've totally reinvented the technique yet again to make it more server friendly (at the cost of a maximum range), and it's faster and easier now. It also helps to have about 25m LP on tap...

Is dartcraft in FTB Monster? If so, this technique could work there. If not... um... get creative. :)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Steel/Alumite pick with max lapis/redstone/flux capacitor. By the time I can make a significantly better pick my manual mining days are over. I eventually make a hammer, but that is for clearing spaces without using a filler and/or making nice safe tunnels in the nether.