Project Red(for 1.5.2) and other frame replacement mods.

Elgskred

Jul 29, 2019
I'm hosting a Unleashed server, running version 1.1.7 and thus using MC 1.5.2.

And I'm wondering if there are any mods that can replace frames provided by redpower.
I know Project Red has gotten pretty far since it's 1.5.2 release, which to my knowledge does not include any transportation, but the minblocks/lamps etc are nice.

I'm not necessarily looking for frame movements, but I need a mod capable of providing elevators and making hidden doors, as I find the basic pistons to be far to limited.
Even a mod where pistons are modified to extend to greater lengths(10+), and sticky pistons being able to drag and pull several blocks in a line, would be enough to fill my needs(for the moment).

I know Redstone in Motion provides most of these things mentioned above, but I'd rather not use it. Not only does it violate FTB closed-source policy, but it's also far to buggy for my taste.

Any feedback on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
You can use the drawbridge from Tinkers Construct as a substitute for a +10 length piston, this block can also be disguised as a tile of your choice.

Elevators are an excelletn block that you can find in the "Open Blocks" mod (I love those elevators)

Unfortunately, I am not sure about hidden doors, there is almost certainly some subsititutes out there but I am more function over form, I dont make pretty things.

Gavin

Elgskred

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have experience with Project Red for MC1.5.2?
I'm having where my client crashes when I try to look at several PR related items through NEI.
Trough my awesome skills of deduction I have managed to find that the problem is related to rendering the item ingame, I think.
Pastebin link if anyone would like to help.

SSP seems to handle this far better than SMP, where the client crashes after a few secs(after I open up NEI that is).

Last edited:

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
I know Redstone in Motion provides most of these things mentioned above, but I'd rather not use it. Not only does it violate FTB closed-source policy, but it's also far to buggy for my taste.
Redstone in Motion is 100% JAKJ's code; it isn't in FTB because of politics. Yes, it'll crash if certain blocks are moved, but the only way to fix it would be either for JAKJ to add special handling to RiM or for the creator of those blocks to not assume their blocks won't move.

In my experience Redstone in Motion is about as stable as RedPower was, that is, it works fine with a limited subset of blocks. (From my somewhat limited testing: TE3 power grid works but leaks energy, itemducts crash, block breakers crash, Mekanism wires crash if they're hooked up to something, vanilla doesn't crash but bed spawns aren't moved, Buildcraft quarries don't work after being moved until remined but everything else works, OpenBlocks block breakers work.)

The Corvid

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone tell me how to get hold of Project Red for 1.5.2? I'm trying to run a Direwolf20 1.5.2 v2 server, and so far I have everything I need, except I want to add Project Red to the pack, but I can't seem to find anywhere to download a 1.5.2 version. The only versions on the official website are all 1.6.4.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
Project Red is a pretty new mod, so it might not be very well-developed at all. Here you go, the last build before 1.6. This is the last commit before the 1.6 update.

The Corvid

Jul 29, 2019
I take it a lot more work has been done on it since 1.6?

Right now I'm trying to weigh up my options. On one hand I can put up the server now as 1.5, or I can wait and bring up a 1.6 server when TickThreading for 1.6 comes out. (A server without TickThreading is a bit of a no-go in my opinion. I'm yet to find any solution that fixes lag as well as TickThreading does.)

Elgskred

Jul 29, 2019
The 1.5 version of Red does not include any frames or motors(afaik), I also had problem with some of the colored wires, but that could be a mod compatability issue.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
There aren't frames in P:R, use Redstone in Motion for that. P:R doesn't have full mod integration yet.

The Corvid

Jul 29, 2019
There are dev builds of TT for 1.6, but they might not work too well. Test them on a disposable world.
If I'm not mistaken, these are builds which I've already tried to install, but they have apparently been disabled somehow because whenever I try to install it onto the 1.6 server, it fails to install, complaining that it's incomplete or something - I can't remember exactly what it said. I'll keep an eye on TT though because that was a few days ago and if any progress is made then I'm happy to try them out. Apparently it's broken because of a problem involving memory leaks caused by new zombie AI, but when I asked if it would be possible to run it properly by disabling zombie spawning, I was told this wasn't a feasible solution, so there must be other issues as well.