Old topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
it has been happening quite often lately that people have been necro-ing old topics, usually with no real meaning for actually necro-bumping those topics. this often just makes other members a bit... agitated, to say it in a nice way.

I thought it'd be a nice idea if topics older then a month (or 2 weeks or what duration you find appropiate) will get a message at the reply area saying that that topic is an old topic, and posting a reply may not be appropiate if it does not actually help the topic.

I've seen it happen a few times now that people reply to an old topic/post, naming an item that would be a better choice, when that item wasn't even released when that specific post was posted. it just happened to me and I almost facepalmed my wisdom tooth out...

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I like this, because it doesn't actually limit anyone's ability to respond to old topics, that might piss them off. Instead, it allows necros, but makes people aware that they might be doing them unintentionally.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
it has been happening quite often lately that people have been necro-ing old topics, usually with no real meaning for actually necro-bumping those topics. this often just makes other members a bit... agitated, to say it in a nice way.

I thought it'd be a nice idea if topics older then a month (or 2 weeks or what duration you find appropiate) will get a message at the reply area saying that that topic is an old topic, and posting a reply may not be appropiate if it does not actually help the topic.

I've seen it happen a few times now that people reply to an old topic/post, naming an item that would be a better choice, when that item wasn't even released when that specific post was posted. it just happened to me and I almost facepalmed my wisdom tooth out...

We have touched on the topic of necro posting in moderation chat. If it's adding no new information and the poster was just posting to bump/spam then report it as such.
If they are adding new information/have the same problem etc then in the eyes of moderators it's fine.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I recently went through and locked roughly 200 pages worth of Tech Support threads.
My criteria were: Last reply on the thread was July 1st or earlier. Since we now have 1.6 mod packs, I used the 1.6 vanilla launch date for a timeline.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I recently went through and locked roughly 200 pages worth of Tech Support threads.
My criteria were: Last reply on the thread was July 1st or earlier. Since we now have 1.6 mod packs, I used the 1.6 vanilla launch date for a timeline.

it's been years since I last had admin access on a forum, and I never used XenForo forums as an admin, but shouldn't it be possible to have topics in certain categories automatically get locked after a certain amount of time after the last post? it shouldn't be so bad if people have to remake a topic if the previous one got closed, because things constantly change and the information in the old topic might already be outdated

Status
Not open for further replies.