What's the best way to use/distribute/package a private 1.6 mod pack

Deliz Seemack

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there,

We are looking for build a private mod pack for 1.6. Do you guys have any tips on how to use/distribute/package a private mod pack for 1.6 so that's it's easy for users to load it, update it and run it.

With 1.5, we were using MultiMC with the FTB mod pack format so it was easy for everyone including non-technical users to load it in MultiMC by importing it as an FTB mod pack and changing a few settings but now with 1.6, things are a little bleak from what I found. Updating the mod was also somewhat easy with a new zip file and a reimport.

Anyway, I'm open to your suggestions.

Thanks.

Harirson Grothoff

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried talking to Ryan of the ATLauncher? That- or watch Dire's video on using the default launcher with packs:

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
This is an excellent question. There are a number of resources out there, of varying usefulness. Hopefully the new FTB launcher will release soon and blow them all away in terms of usability, but until then, you can try these out

MultiMC - There are beta builds of MultiMC that work with 1.6. You have to login to the IRC channel to get the download link though. (there is a link to that in the sidebar of the website. It's obviously not intended as a distribution platform, but can work for small groups.
TechnicLauncher - Since this is the FTB forum, I'm sure most of you would prefer to use the FTB launcher, but there isn't anything wrong with the Technic one. Setting up a pack is fairly simple and is dead easy for the end user.
ATLauncher - This is an exciting new launcher that allows pack authors to bypass the problems of the permissions system by directing users to the mod download page, then moving the downloaded files. For mods where the author is not concerned with permissions, the ATLauncher servers host the download. It is a bit harder for a user to set up the pack, but a legitimate option.
MCUpdater - The MCUpdater is a comprehensive modpack distribution system. However, the 1.6 version is still in beta and it can be very confusing for a new pack author to set up.
The vanilla launcher does also work. I haven't seen any specific tutorials on what you need to do to wrap up a profile and distribute it, I'm sure something like that is out there.

Deliz Seemack

Jul 29, 2019
I think we'll go with ATLauncher. They will even host our private pack and we can whitelist people who have access to it.

Thanks for the tips.

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
Do keep in mind depending on the size of the pack, you have to create a XML document which takes a bit.
And is very boring and tidius to write after a while.[DOUBLEPOST=1384105181][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is an excellent question. There are a number of resources out there, of varying usefulness. Hopefully the new FTB launcher will release soon and blow them all away in terms of usability, but until then, you can try these out

MultiMC - There are beta builds of MultiMC that work with 1.6. You have to login to the IRC channel to get the download link though. (there is a link to that in the sidebar of the website. It's obviously not intended as a distribution platform, but can work for small groups.
TechnicLauncher - Since this is the FTB forum, I'm sure most of you would prefer to use the FTB launcher, but there isn't anything wrong with the Technic one. Setting up a pack is fairly simple and is dead easy for the end user.
ATLauncher - This is an exciting new launcher that allows pack authors to bypass the problems of the permissions system by directing users to the mod download page, then moving the downloaded files. For mods where the author is not concerned with permissions, the ATLauncher servers host the download. It is a bit harder for a user to set up the pack, but a legitimate option.
MCUpdater - The MCUpdater is a comprehensive modpack distribution system. However, the 1.6 version is still in beta and it can be very confusing for a new pack author to set up.
The vanilla launcher does also work. I haven't seen any specific tutorials on what you need to do to wrap up a profile and distribute it, I'm sure something like that is out there.
The ATLauncher isn't new...

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
The ATLauncher isn't new...
Depends on your perspective. FTB has been a well known "thing" for over a year and a half. MultiMC and MCUpdater at least that long, Technic far longer. By comparison, the ATLauncher post on the MCForums was started in July and the github in march.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
For our server, I have taken to a zip file of the mods and config folders (and a "saves" folder with a test world), given a list of those mods that I can't redistribute (optifine, etc), and given that to my users. We're using the vanilla launcher, and they just make a new folder if they need to use it and a different server.

I'm at the point of wondering what additional features a new 3rd party launcher can provide now. The vanilla launcher lets you give a directory for a config, advanced java options, etc.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Not trying to be the least bit disparaging, but there really are people who that is way too complicated for. I have some really nice, smart people on my server who can't figure out how to set up modpack at all. 3rd party launchers offer nearly 2 click installs. ATLauncher is a bit more complicated than the others, but the current FTB launcher lets you open the launcher, put in the code and hit launch. That's about as simple as it gets.

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on your perspective. FTB has been a well known "thing" for over a year and a half. MultiMC and MCUpdater at least that long, Technic far longer. By comparison, the ATLauncher post on the MCForums was started in July and the github in march.
ATLauncher started back around June 2012. This is an estimate. But I should be that or before that.[DOUBLEPOST=1384126243][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not trying to be the least bit disparaging, but there really are people who that is way too complicated for. I have some really nice, smart people on my server who can't figure out how to set up modpack at all. 3rd party launchers offer nearly 2 click installs. ATLauncher is a bit more complicated than the others, but the current FTB launcher lets you open the launcher, put in the code and hit launch. That's about as simple as it gets.
ATLauncher is A LOT more complicated.

Harirson Grothoff

Jul 29, 2019
ATLauncher started back around June 2012. This is an estimate. But I should be that or before that.[DOUBLEPOST=1384126243][/DOUBLEPOST]
ATLauncher is A LOT more complicated.
It's more complicated for the creator to set up, but only a few steps more complicated for the user. The main thing I've noticed is that the update system isn't as good. Besides that... I feel it's a bit more flexible (not saying bad things about the FTB launcher- I love it as well, and I'm sure the updated version will bring it up to snuff).

Reactions: Aetherr_

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
ATLauncher started back around June 2012. This is an estimate. But I should be that or before that.
Ah, that's what I get for 5 minutes of research. I still kinda consider it new since a lot of people have recently started using it, but yeah, not really new.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
...but the current FTB launcher lets you open the launcher, put in the code and hit launch. That's about as simple as it gets.

Agreed; but on a mac, it doesn't work (as far as I understand)

Given a choice between Magic Launcher, and Vanilla Launcher, for 1.6, with no jar edits, just forge mods, vanilla launcher wins hands down; that's how problematic the 1.6 support in magic launcher is / how problematic the custom directory bugs are.

(It really seems to be designed for 1.5 and earlier, with just the minimal changes needed to support 1.6 without actually making use of the new abilities in 1.6)

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I haven't heard about any general problems with macs.

Yeah, I didn't even include Magic Launcher because there isn't really anything about it that's better than the vanilla one.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Just that last I heard, the FTB beta launcher was windows, or was it windows/linux, but not mac.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Just that last I heard, the FTB beta launcher was windows, or was it windows/linux, but not mac.
Huh, well, I now have it straight from jjw, new launcher should be fine on mac.

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, that's what I get for 5 minutes of research. I still kinda consider it new since a lot of people have recently started using it, but yeah, not really new.
Yeah, I know. That's what I think as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1384298181][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's more complicated for the creator to set up, but only a few steps more complicated for the user. The main thing I've noticed is that the update system isn't as good. Besides that... I feel it's a bit more flexible (not saying bad things about the FTB launcher- I love it as well, and I'm sure the updated version will bring it up to snuff).
That's what I meant.

rootbeer14

Jul 29, 2019
New FTB launcher = Duke nukem forever

New FTB launcher = "insert awesome game that never came out here"

New FTB launcher = Diablo 3

ok i'll stop now. lol